all posts post new thread

Honest Effort

Working out early in the day, those OAPUs were really tough!
warmup:
slingshots 20 each, and figure 8s 40 with 35lb KB
OAPUs 5, 5, 6
single leg DL 32 kg 12,12,12

above three sets with 1.5 minutes between

jumping backsquat 60 lbs 12,10, 10
Sandbag front loaders 60lbs 5, 5, 6

above three times with 1.5 minutes between

unloaded decksquats, 8 reps alternating with
Cossack stretch/downward dog/seated twist

Split squats done on a raised board - really tough. Have dialed these in with moderate weight but haven't done them with heavier load.

Alternating 1H swing 28kg - 15/30 x3
bindlestick uppercuts 25lbs 10, 9, 8

Split squats 32 and 28kg 6,5,5
bindlestick paddles 25 lbs 8, 7, 7

Last edited:
That hobo bundle is intersting: something between maceball swinging and shovel lift ala Steve Justa.
Are you rather going to increase reps or weight?

That hobo bundle is intersting: something between maceball swinging and shovel lift ala Steve Justa.
Are you rather going to increase reps or weight?

Initially it was intended to program more for hypertrophy - 8-12 reps with a real focus on the eccentric. But the more I use them the more I realize they're a better fit for lower rep and higher load. The relatively minuscule weights and ease of dramatically increasing resistance just make them a better fit.

I'm still sort of puzzling this out, as they don't really fit any of the weighted stick drills I used to do for FMA, and they don't fit anything else I've tried before either. The push/pull with no lockout, and the top end of each move is almost isometric generate a truckload of tension. Having the load away from the body is a massive core challenge as well.

So far they're a lot of fun and not bothering my joints or anything. Am not sure if they will achieve what I want from them - more effective expression of day to day strength.

Movements I'm leaning toward are the "uppercut" and the "paddle".

Today's workout I included some one arm rows I've been playing with. I dunno about these making the cut, but they put a whopping on my lats and upper back and again, challenge core and off arm stability.

Incredibly easy to play around with - my first prototype was a broomhandle and a ten pound plate.

Pushups slowly crawling toward higher reps
jumping sandbag backsquats are ready for more weight.
bindlestick rows - moved my hand further from the load this time - reps dropped from the 8-10 range to 6-7, still with full ROM.

warmup:

Pushups 30, 30, 28
single leg DL 85lbs 8, 9, 8

jumping sandbag backsquat - 60lbs 10 x 3
bindlestick rows 50lbs 6, 7, 5

A quick look at the rows as currently done, am still working out the mechanics but overall pretty sound feeling:

Last edited:
Took it a little easy today. Shoveling heavy snow yesterday and wound up not exercising, taking the kids sledding was the final nail. Too many hikes up that hill in deep, wet snow.

Reduced weight and reps on the RFESS/Bulgarian split squats. Also did the front loaders with one hand at a time and lower weight. A little less of everything....

warmup:

Pushups 25, 25, 25
one arm alternating swings 28kg 10, 10, 10

RFESS 110lbs 6,6,6
one hand front loaders 20lb kb (yep) 15, 15, 15

Increased weight with the hobo bundle lifts.
Increased weight with jumping backsquats to 90 lbs

I need to do the math and get at least a rough estimate of mechanical disadvantage for the hobo lifts.

warmup:

2H swing 32 kg 30, 25, 25
hobo bundle uppercut 30 lbs 6, 6, 6 + dropset 4 reps

jumping backsquat 90 lbs 8, 6, 7
hobo bundle paddles 30 lbs 5, 5, 5 + dropset 3 reps

Single leg Dls increased weight and can add more next go around, tho not too much more
Still dialing in Hobo Bundle movements - have been tweaking for better effect and a final approved version should be coming in a few weeks. An interesting side effect is virtually all Pec activation is across the top of the pecs instead of predominantly mid and lower as with most pressing type movements - a plus in my book.

Experimenting with clearance rates by only moving the non-exercising muscles to process lactate - example if working upper body, just jog in place or bounce on toes. The rationale is the working muscles are already processing full bore and have good blood flow. To make use of non-working muscle clearance capacity there is no point in competing with the working muscle by shaking everything. Meh...will take a few to tell any difference but did feel pretty fresh all workout. Was able to reliably reduce my recovery time to a minute between sets and a minute between pairings - usually need several minutes to feel good. Placebo effect most likely but will keep at it.

RLESS is the bomb for training legs heavy at home w/out a rack! I can't believe I haven't been doing these all along.

warmup:

Single leg DL 130 lbs 8, 8, 6
Hobo Bundle uppercut 30lbs 6, 6, (increased resistance) 4 + drop set (decreased resistance) 3 reps

above three sets with 1 minute between

RLESS 130lbs 6, 6, 5
Hobo Bundle paddles 30lbs 5, 5, (increased resistance) 4 + drop set (decreased resistance) 3 reps

above three times with 1 minute between

Little more of a Bro workout targeting pecs and middle delts
took an extra half second on each rep of the jump squats, allowing me to do a bit of plyo - really concentrating on height instead of upping weights.

warmup:

Single leg DL 130 lbs 8, 6, 8
unilateral KB chest press off of sandbags 32kg 7 rep, 28kg 10, 10

jumping sandbag squats 60 lbs 8, 8, 8
side lateral 30lbs 12,12,10 dropset +6

Still looking forward to these Hobo Strong workouts, serious core challenge as well as the intended push/pull.

warmup:

2H Swing 32kg 15, 15, 20
Hobo uppercuts 30lbs 8, 8, 6 dropset +3

RFESS 130lbs 6,6,6
hobo paddles 30 lbs 6, 6, 5 dropset +2

Also with yesterday's workout - 3 set of jumping Good Mornings with 60lb sandbag on back. Sort of an abbreviated broad jump, unlike my jumping backsquats there has to be some forward movement for these to feel 'right'.

I wasn't going to mention these in my session, I included them at the end as part of an experiment in doing dynamic/jumping movements alternated with grinds. These are to counterpoint my single leg DL in the same way I use the jumping squats with RLESS. I use this strategy more with lower body than upper as a bit of overlap with mobility/movement work that I do not get enough of.

At the time they felt pretty underwhelming and more than a bit awkward (I had to jump 3 times and quickly turn to come back across the room - 3 sets of 12 reps - as with the jumping backsquats I am certain I can get this number down by driving higher/further with each leap rather than adding more weight) so I went ahead and did some Swings to compensate.

Now I've been moving around this morning I am feeling a somewhat alarming amount of DOMS in my glutes. Maybe the jumping Good Mornings were more effective than I thought...

Not feeling as much like a Bro workout, these unilateral (incline 20°) KB bench pressing are tough, and the side laterals done Hobo style generate a lot of tension. Also added an extra set on both today.

Jumping sandbags squats again really trying to get more height - not sure how to measure actual height.

Had to move a bunch of cubicles and multi unit desks at work, as well as heft a tabletop copier - everything felt light.

warmup:

Single leg DL 120 lbs 8, 8, 8
unilateral KB chest press off of sandbags 28kg 10, 32kg 8, 32kg 8 +dropset 3 w/ the 28

above four sets with 1 minute between

jumping sandbag squats 60 lbs 7, 7, 7
Hobo side lateral 30lbs 12,12,10 dropset +6

above four times with 1 minute between

Pic from today's workout, 50 years old and about 5 lbs overweight. I feel great lately in spite of accumulated injuries etc, haven't been this functionally strong in probably 15 years. While I cannot really give credit to SF principles I can sure credit the crew on this forum (very inspirational) and all the related resources. Still have a few months till Summer vacation to shed the fat. Nothing to be done for the hairdo...
DOSlY3wl.jpg

Last edited:
Hobo workouts a go-go. Am moving further up the bindlestick in 2.5" increments, to drop set I move 5" closer to the load.

The unloaded decksquats continue to improve in form - no more bumping of the nape of neck or L5S1 area, up or down even on thin carpet.

warmup:

jumping GoodMornings 60lb sandbag 12,12,12
Hobo uppercuts 30lbs 6, 5, 5 dropset +3

RFESS 130lbs 6,6,6
hobo paddles 30 lbs 8, 8, 6 dropset +4

Saw your pic. Man, you're in good condition.(y)

Thanks. To my mind I'm still in fighting back mode. In my late 20s was in extremely good shape but couldn't keep up with the long workouts and such.

By the time my kids were born I was down to 155 lbs and my wrists were shot, I didn't think I'd ever be able to work with cast iron again. A buddy introduced me to KBs and the way the load sits on the forearm realized maybe I wasn't out of the iron game after all.

My 40s have been one roadblock after another - three wrist surgeries, bilateral hernia surgery, degenerative cervical disks, fascia arthritis at L5S1. In the last year or so finally feel like the wind is blowing with me a little again, and I intend to push it as long and hard as I continue to respond well.

Having my kids at 40, I am really determined they have a dad that is as active as the younger version of myself would have been - backpacking, canoeing, MA, visible muscles. The next 10 years are critical in that respect, and for my health over the long haul. Back up to 185lbs I'd like to put on a few more lbs, and am constantly looking to improve strength expression on unrelated activities, not just strength as a skill. I believe I'm on the right track, haven't felt this capable in many years.

I was in a good shape in my 20s too. Originally started iron game to support my back, but it was not enough. My situation got worse and my weight went from 87 kilos to 147 kilos. Now my weight has lowered ~ 20 kg, but I still got a long road ahead of me.

I'm glad you're doing great. My daughter is an adult now and son is almost 16 yo. I don't consider myself as a good father, but partly it was not my fault. I try to make things right and rehab myself.

I'm just trying to be a better father than my dad. He was a good man but a lousy father, so the bar is set pretty low.

I've decided no matter my intentions, my kids are going to get some positive lessons from me and some negative ones too, both by active engagement and simple observation - I am far from being a good role model in every way a person might be, that's a fact.

They'll have to put it together for themselves, but at least I intend to be there for them whether they appreciate it or not.

Incorporating more Hobo, I am hooked on the high level of limb and core tension these generate.

warmup:

Single leg DL 130 lbs 8, 6, 8
Hobo Backscratchers 30lbs 6, 7, 5 +3 dropset

jumping sandbag squats 60 lbs 8, 8, 8
Hobo laterals 30lbs 8, 7, 5 +3 dropset

Again, these Hobo movements are brutal. Am pretty sure by having the load cantilevered out I hit max core activation at same time I hit max peripheral muscle (push/pull). At risk of TMI I have never done an exercise that left me so close to feeling like I might BM.

Added weight on the RFESS, switched the GoodMorning to a front hold, way better glute activation and erectors. Gasp - I haven't done a Swing in a bunch of workouts and don't miss em so far!

Henceforth I will do in the first pairing whatever lower body grind is in the chute, jumpers second.

warmup:

RFESS 140lbs 6,6,6
Hobo uppercuts 30lbs 6, 6,5 dropset +3

above three sets with 1 minutes between

Jumping sandbag Good Mornings with load held in front 8,8,8
hobo paddles 30 lbs 6, 6, 5 dropset +3

above three times with 1 minutes between

Was supposed to be my day off but won't be able to train tomorrow, so up'd the reps a bit and lowered the load.

warmup:

Single leg DL 120 lbs 8, 8, 8
Hobo back scratchers 25lbs 10, 10, 6 + 4 dropset

jumping sandbag squats 60 lbs 6,6,6
Hobo laterals 25lbs 10,10,6 +4 dropset

above four times with 1 minute between

Back
Top Bottom