all posts post new thread

Honest Effort

I know from unilateral resistance that in my case most imbalances are caused by form, and might effect function don't need to be addressed except with more attention to detail.

Now have a 3x/week plan using two alternating routines, same format as my sandbag, hobo bundle, etc etc. The doorway leg exercises am refering to as "stride in/ stride out" with out being done against a doorframe or with good foot traction can be done just standing, the "in" pattern can be done just standing, no need for a doorframe.

Added to that are calf raises and Good Mornings.

Again, following my framework for other modes I have a push, pull, anterior shoulder, posterior shoulder:
Pec push, lat pull, elbow in press, lateral raise.

For all exercises there is a 7 second effort followed by movement through the targeted muscle with a full ROM sweep, fast concentric, slow eccentric (more to stretch the muscle than exercise it). Repeat numbers for this vary depending on speed, I can pop my calves about 15 times in the space of time I can do 5-6 straight leg sweeps with the glute. Upper body usually 8 reps.

Yesterday was laterals, stride outs, pecs, calves.
Will make a short video showing these between effort sweeps. They serve two purposes, one is to promote more blood flow, the other is to keep the muscles and joints used to rapid movement. This also hits both ends of the force/velocity spectrum - high force/zero velocity, low force/high velocity.

Have been staying with this routine, slowly dialing in the fine points.

Still doing 7 second efforts followed by a short period of rapid movements in the same pattern. Have included single leg squats. The plan was to do these until end of month but will running through mid October as I was unable to train consistently at the end of August.

Overall getting good outcome. Slight loss of mass in lower pecs and abs could use some accessory work. Otherwise feeling good, maintaining mass overall and somewhat increasing definition. Have to wait till the end to see what sort of carryover I'm getting.

Digging high clay content soil and gravel with no lower back issues, overall feeling solid.

For me that's always a good indication that my training methods are paying off. When occassional task of hard manual labour does not result in injuries.

Isometrics and jump rope.
Have been thinking about my next cycle at the end of the month. Am going to Resurrect the Hobo Bundle concept but in this case will be using a shovel with a hole cut through and a spinlock post used to hold plates to the spade. I'll have to change weight more often as the hands will always be same distance from the load, but won't have to worry about hitting the ceiling with a longer pole, and it repositions the pushing hand to be perpendicular to the pull hand instead of being in-line. This should increase push capacity, so the overall loads will increase.

Also in the works is intention to pick up 150lbs of steel shot to make a "heavier" heavy sand bag. If I make a counter call to pick up, a local ballast supplier has it for 60cents a pound. This will be primarily for heavy shoulder cleans, single leg squat, Good Mornings, as all three have topped out at 100lbs. Good Mornings pulled away a long time ago and have been reduced to doing long sets w/ abbreviated ROM.

The result of some initial tinkering as a more ergonomic replacement for the Hobo Bundle, push/pull concept. This thing appears to have even less mechanical advantage by approx 30% even though it has a better feel. Positioning the load on the upside of the shovel head will increase mechanical advantage.

Goofing around with 25lbs was comparable to nearly 40lbs with a straight pole and definitely engages the pec/anterior delt more. Going to be starting in with this next week, combined with sandbag for my hinge and squat movements.

USZlX4gm.jpg

aorgi4Jm.jpg

Hello,

Love it !

If the threadbar (is it the right English word to describe the plate fixing system you use ?) bother you in some way, it is also possible to do your own gada:
- you can pour concrete in a plastic garden jar
- while it is not dry and hard, you put a stick in it (like a shovel stick we find in DIY store)

Of course, this is not scalable, contrary to your option, but you can create plenty of them, up to big weights (depending on the jar volume you use), for a few bucks

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Love it !

If the threadbar (is it the right English word to describe the plate fixing system you use ?) bother you in some way, it is also possible to do your own gada:
- you can pour concrete in a plastic garden jar
- while it is not dry and hard, you put a stick in it (like a shovel stick we find in DIY store)

Of course, this is not scalable, contrary to your option, but you can create plenty of them, up to big weights (depending on the jar volume you use), for a few bucks

Kind regards,

Pet'

I wanted to get something that changed the push hand to be into the palm instead of in-line, as that really reduces the amount of resistance you can push - well illustrated by the difference between a straight handle shovel and one with a D handle.

I also wanted something that can change loading quickly, using standard plates - the spinlock design is the best for holding weights in a bunch of different angles.

I had to come up with something shorter than the old pole, as I was limited to what movement planes I could train due to hitting the ceiling.

This looks pretty ugly, but has a great feel in use. I will probably head up to the second hand tool store and pick up a vintage shovel with steel/wood handle fittings in spade or trench pattern. I had this old scoop shovel I never use, so it became prototype 1. I almost cut the head off and used the collar like a socket, but would have been more work and improved mechanical advantage over the load. Its ugly, but gets the job done.

Hello,

As long as it works, this is the most important ! even if it can be improved as you said. It checks all your requirements.

Is it also easier on your joints ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

As long as it works, this is the most important ! even if it can be improved as you said. It checks all your requirements.

Is it also easier on your joints ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

It will be a lot better for the pushing side wrist, and will maybe eliminate need for any supplemental push exercises. It will be a lot better for the ceiling!

So, I hack sawed enough of the head away to place the plates on top of the shovel.
As predicted it made the load feel a little less heavy on the big movers but it made the grip work twice as challenging.

Looking forward to getting into it, starts next week.

Putting off the shovel/hobo plan for a few weeks, concept needs more work now that I've used it a few times.

Ran a basic sandbag routine Single leg squat, upright row, loaded PU, loaded hamstring kickbacks - finished with some crunches and biceps curls.

This was informative, as I'm coming off of about 8-9 weeks since my last sandbag workout and nothing but minimalist isometrics since and only hitting those about 5 sessions every two weeks.

I lost a little on my squat and hamstrings, a little on my PUs, upright rows stayed the same. My abs and biceps got stronger...

So, have been having a ton of interruptions to my training lately, two late season camping trips and a lot going on around my house, I've only managed the one sandbag workout and previous a 6 week block of Isometrics that had me at best 3x week and most of the time lucky to do 2x. I have not done any "real" training since the second week of July.

Experiencing something that has me questioning some of my prior opinions on hypertrophy. With how little I've been training I should be shrinking a little more than I am, except I am not shrinking, nor am I losing any real definition. I don't feel like I'm losing much strength either.

I have to attribute most of this to the Isometrics I did, which in this case rules out much in the way of sarcoplasmic or myofibular hypertrophy, esp since the science does not support much of that and anyway, I haven't put on any size to speak of since Spring. But...it does support the idea that tendons can not only become more dense but stiffer as well as gaining some size. A lot of the definition that is hanging in there is at the ends of the muscle bellies close to attachment and insertion points. Example the lateral head of triceps is very distinct, medial head has such a pronounced dip my wife thought the shadow was a bruise. Insertion point of the long head bicep is also very defined. This is not typical for me.

Anyway, am now putting on thinking cap for ways to incorporate this into weekly routine alongside isotonic. I no longer view it as an optional approach.

Jumped on a scale for the first time in about a year, and back down to about 186lbs compared to high water of 205. About a 10% loss of mass. Most of my lifts are the same with standout exception of loaded PUs, was hitting 10reps at 250lbs and now hitting 8 reps at 230.

Have managed to string together a few weeks of sandbag routine + the odd isometric. Am still experimenting with ways to use the isometrics in a hybrid mode. This morning did 10 second exertions followed by 5-15 reps of low weight sandbag or bodyweight variant. Have to see if this is more effective than the isometric followed by high speed movement. Surprisingly, from a subjective POV it did not feel as taxing.

Jumped on a scale for the first time in about a year, and back down to about 186lbs compared to high water of 205. About a 10% loss of mass.
I still remember last year when you crossed the 200lb threshold:
I've crossed 200, firmly into uncharted territory. I was going to drop back down to 195 and thin out my midsection, but if I can hit 205 and drop down to 200 would be better.

Have you spent any time working on the Shovel program?

I still remember last year when you crossed the 200lb threshold:

Have you spent any time working on the Shovel program?

I set that aside for time being. I did chop the hobo pole down a bit so it doesn't hit the ceiling anymore, will require more frequent load changes.

I've been too fascinated by the isometrics to break off.

Last few weeks have switched back to my basic sandbag routine while pondering ways to seamlessly incorporate Iso into my regimen.

Am experimenting with increasing frequency and decreasing volume. So my usual program has a "major" push or pull paired with an accessory "minor" hinge or squat and vice versa in the same workout, now I'm breaking it out to only two exercises per, an alternating major/minor and training 5-6 days week instead of 3. My workouts going from 45 minutes to under 30 inclusive of warmup and stretching.

This will double my warmups (5minutes jumprope) stretching, and alternate curls or triceps extension. Am also including a second middle set per exercise going from 3 to 4 sets per, with that middle set being a low rep/heavy weight 1/2 max reps for the given load. Will see if this doesn't get me into trouble with missed days more often.

Just started following this, only had a quick flick so forgive me if its been mentioned but after you commented on a post of mine a while ago recommending sandbags ive finally got around to buying a empty one.

Do you have any recommendations on what to fill it with? I have some building sand lying around but read that pea gravel might be better?
The sand i can only get about 15kg in a 60cm by 20cm bag
But doing them sandbag uppercuts with 15kg was harrd work haha

Btw your circuit style routines have been very motivational for me as its how i like to train, i regularly do the hinge push squat pull supersetted in rounds of 3 like you.

I also tried jumping squats after seeing it in one of your circuits and wow that gets my HR up quick!

Last edited:
Just started following this, only had a quick flick so forgive me if its been mentioned but after you commented on a post of mine a while ago recommending sandbags ive finally got around to buying a empty one.

Do you have any recommendations on what to fill it with? I have some building sand lying around but read that pea gravel might be better?
The sand i can only get about 15kg in a 60cm by 20cm bag
But doing them sandbag uppercuts with 15kg was harrd work haha

Btw your circuit style routines have been very motivational for me as its how i like to train, i regularly do the hinge push squat pull supersetted in rounds of 3 like you.

I also tried jumping squats after seeing it in one of your circuits and wow that gets my HR up quick!

Hey, would have responded sooner but I don't check in on my log very often anymore! I would recommend tubesand if its available, otherwise any cheap sand will do. The tubesand is nice as it comes double wrapped to begin with. Pea gravel ground holes through my filler bags quick, and even after washing it it pulverised down to basically sand anyway. Rubber mulch is also recommended often as is pellet stove fuel.

I cut pieces of carpet remnant that wrap the inner circumference of the bag by about 130%, so I can pry it open and stuff whatever inside and let it close back up. This gives all my bags a good bit of uniformity of size and a bit of internal rigidity. Counter to a lot of the advice, I find it easier to use the bags when they are most floppy, much tougher as they become more rigid you have to balance them somewhat.

The uppercuts are tough! These days I stop with the bag vertical and don't use a ballistic swing to get them overhead. More like a lateral delt raise but with the other hand supporting the load and getting it out from my center of mass.

I keep thinking I should post up a programming overview of my stuff, but also hoping someday SF will take a shot at it. I'm very curious how they would approach sandbags.

Brief update:
lately in response to persistent heelspur pain have dropped jumprope for time being and now do some sandbag burpees for warmup.

Continuing with increased frequency/decreased daily volume, this feels pretty good now, although I'm pretty sure there is a drop in Gh and possibly T spike from not depleting myself as much. Overall response is good, finally feel like I'm digging back into this, mostly with my loaded PUs, which have never recovered from last Summer's lofty heights. But, everything else pretty much has.

Have subbed out Hobo pole for most upper body work aside from the loaded pushups, felt like my shoulders were just not catching up to everything else and core was just not feeling as tight either. Between that and hitting abs daily it sure is getting plenty of stimulus now.

Stay safe all!

Back
Top Bottom