Honest Effort

3 minutes jumprope
- DL
- Crossover High Pull
- Quad Extension
- Bench
- Crunch
- Hammer curl
All holds done 10 seconds full on, 10 seconds rapid relax/ 30 - 50% on, 20 seconds off, 4 intervals followed by two "max effort" sprint-in-place HIIT 12 on 30 off.

Hitting 4 steps per second with my sprint in place. Feels a little silly but am pretty sure it does a better job than my beloved jump rope for HIIT.

Last edited:
Great session today - am hitting more than 4 steps per second sprinting in place. I need to get a resistance cord to make these more effective.

3minutes jumprope warmup
- Squat
- OHP press
- hamstring curl
- Crossover row
- Oblique suitcase pull
- Triceps extension
All holds done 10 seconds full on, 10 seconds rapid relax/ 30 - 50% on, 20 seconds off, 4 intervals followed by two "max effort" sprint-in-place HIIT 12 on 30 off.

Quick update for the curious:
Began my Isometric experiment at about 192lbs with goal to hit (maybe 200+) 198 lbs, which to me would be proof it generated enough training stress to trigger hypertrophy as well as strength. Weight yesterday was 197 at the same or slightly lower BF% (estimated). By mid Dec I anticipate hitting my preliminary goal of a solid 198, still don't know about 200+ but am on a path to a slow, lean mass gain. Feeling good, wind is better than its been in a couple of years. This weekend I'll check my BP and resting HR.

Sprint intervals feel pretty dialed in, less stressful. Need to pick up a resistance band. Great article on how to use running in place for improved sprint performance:

3 minutes jumprope
- DL
- Crossover High Pull
- Quad Extension
- Bench
- Crunch
- Hammer curl
All holds done 10 seconds full on, 10 seconds rapid relax/ 30 - 50% on, 20 seconds off, 4 intervals followed by two "max effort" sprint-in-place HIIT 12 on 30 off

3minutes jumprope warmup
- Squat
- OHP press
- hamstring curl
- Crossover row
- Leg Raises
- Triceps extension

Martin, can you share the source of the isometric plan you're working on? I've been interested in this for quite some time and it may help me in rehabbing the shoulder injury.

Hmmmm. To be honest this is 100% self made based on previous use of iso and a lot of reading.

Feel like I have a pretty good idea of the sweet spot or at least where the outer edges lie in any given direction.

A lot of it is self observation particularly where it failed to work in the past, crossed with study results, which gave me the best idea for contraction time, number of repeats, muscle length.

I combined that with the need to incorporate some form of expedient glucose depletion to arrive at the exact formula.

Using it for injury repair might require a different approach, esp if combined in part with an in-progress program or other ongoing strength/endurance training.

I will say also that shoulders are far and away the trickiest to train simply for the incredible ROM it can perform.

I'm more than happy to let you know what I would do with the same symptoms if you give me the run-down.

I saw your pics in the blog, but i would love to see some video of this stuff at some point. It’s all very interesting, and I’m just starting to scratch the surface of it so it’s a little hard for me to envision at times.

I saw your pics in the blog, but i would love to see some video of this stuff at some point. It’s all very interesting, and I’m just starting to scratch the surface of it so it’s a little hard for me to envision at times.
I'm on it...sort of. My basement is real cramped and terrible lighting. Maybe tomorrow AM I'll get to work early enough to demo one or two exercises.

I agree 100%, talking about applying isometrics sounds to me like talking about meditating, there's a lot that isn't clear verbally that is real simple in application.

Awesome!I understand though, i lift on an enclosed 2nd story back porch and filming there is horrendous.
Here ya go:
Video description of how exactly this approach looks in practice. I neglected to mention timing counts for rest periods. The breakdown is 10 seconds steady, 10 seconds pulse, 20 seconds to rest and get back in position. HIIT intervals = 12 seconds effort, 30 seconds rest x 2

Hmmmm. To be honest this is 100% self made based on previous use of iso and a lot of reading.

Feel like I have a pretty good idea of the sweet spot or at least where the outer edges lie in any given direction.

A lot of it is self observation particularly where it failed to work in the past, crossed with study results, which gave me the best idea for contraction time, number of repeats, muscle length.

I combined that with the need to incorporate some form of expedient glucose depletion to arrive at the exact formula.

Using it for injury repair might require a different approach, esp if combined in part with an in-progress program or other ongoing strength/endurance training.

I will say also that shoulders are far and away the trickiest to train simply for the incredible ROM it can perform.

I'm more than happy to let you know what I would do with the same symptoms if you give me the run-down.
Thank you, really appreciate the response. I saw your video and found it very impressive. I'll shoot you a PM with the rundown on my shoulder when I get a little more time.

3 minutes jumprope
- DL
- Crossover High Pull
- Quad Extension
- Bench
- Crunch
- Hammer curl
All holds done 10 seconds full on, 20 cycles rapid relax/ 30 - 50% on, 20 seconds rest.

4 intervals followed by two "max effort" sprint-in-place HIIT 12 on 30 off.

Now hitting 4.5 steps per second running in place.

Back
Top Bottom