Honest Effort

3 minutes jumprope
- DL
- Crossover High Pull
- Quad Extension
- Bench
- Crunch
- Hammer curl

All holds done 8 seconds full on, 20 "reps" rapid relax/ 30 - 50% on, 20 seconds rest for 5 repeats.

Here's the before/after 193 / 200. Weight has been bouncing as I burned off the bit of chub from the gain, now pretty firmly at 200lbs.

I'm still learning some useful stuff, it'll be a while before I go back to dynamic load bearing exercise.

smc95Fkm.jpg

Last edited:
Hello,

Beyond your impressive physique, you seem stronger as well ! Congrats for all your work !

If you were not eating in a calorie surplus, would it made you leaner (but still stronger) then ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

I'd have to say yes. I think you hit a limit pretty rapidly, similar to plyometrics or use of post potentiation for 1RM, and after that it will run a fairly normal course. I need to test again at the end of the month to see if there have been any further notable increases in strength, my day-to-day feels a bit stronger.

To me the biggest advantage by far is that I never feel tight or achy, my lower back is happier than its been in a year or two, golfer's elbow, knee issues etc all feel great compared to the end of my sandbag block. The only real tradeoff is I never get a "pump" anymore, which is not a big deal. Honestly am not looking forward to re-incorporating dynamic training. Am starting to think of other ways to incorporate iso into my next block rather than go back.

Another interesting thing is the swap out of resisted sprints for jumprope. For whatever reason the sprints do not aggravate my heels at all, and there's no doubt it will do more for actual running than jumprope. There's a trade-off here as well, sprints don't fire up my shoulder girdle muscles as well as jump rope , but again its a good trade.

That's what I thought. Quads blew up too, but no pics. The goal was to just get a little bigger overall, it would be a bonus if most of that were on my legs.

I'm going the opposite direction. Body weight for me is very light right now, 165-170. It feels pretty good, strength is still decent and I can move across terra firma with relative ease. October the dog and I moved ran and walked 150 miles, cut it to 120 last month.. my heels feel better, this month will be around that mileage. I don't think my cardio shape has ever been better overall than it is now.

I'm going the opposite direction. Body weight for me is very light right now, 165-170. It feels pretty good, strength is still decent and I can move across terra firma with relative ease. October the dog and I moved ran and walked 150 miles, cut it to 120 last month.. my heels feel better, this month will be around that mileage. I don't think my cardio shape has ever been better overall than it is now.

Yeah, this is as much experiment as anything else - wanted to see what the response would be, and that's 75% of most of my training approaches now - finding out for myself. Putting on a little more size was just part of the trial. Am sort of speechless/mumbling under my breath currently - a lot of what I've been told and read about Isometrics and what is represented as settled fact is just plain inaccurate.

I'd like to hold at about 200 as that's a big help backpacking and in general at my job. Changing jobs in a few weeks but still expect to be moving a lot of heavy gear, maybe even more. I don't expect to push for more mass as it just a lot of eating and remembering to eat and dialing it up and down which is a bit more bandwidth than I'd like to spend. Also is looking increasingly unlikely I'll be going for a PT certification anytime soon as a side job, which has been a major driver of a lot of my hand's on testing different stuff.

Also is looking increasingly unlikely I'll be going for a PT certification anytime soon as a side job, which has been a major driver of a lot of my hand's on testing different stuff.
You'd be a great PT, I can't believe how many people I see training others who are literally clueless.

Here's a pic for ya haha.. took this not long ago when my shoulder was too crunked to do anything substantial other than rehab work. No pump or any special diet etc. We were headed out for some dinner at a friend's house. I think this is literally as small as I can get. Lately the shoulder is allowing more weight to be moved so muscle is coming back somewhat.
IMG_0324 (1).JPG

Back
Top Bottom