all posts post new thread

Honest Effort

Yes, now I remember, that came out in the 60's .. crazy stuff, I'm interested to see what you cook up using what you learned about iso work.

Its a ridiculous piece of gear, but I guarantee I can get good results out of it for everything but big squat and big hinge. Woefully insufficient for lower body.

Thinking about swapping out the cables for adjustable cargo straps.

16 mile bike ride

3 minutes jumprope warmup
- Squat
- OH press
- hamstring curl
- Row
- Triceps extension

Holds done 10, 15, 20, 25 seconds full on, 10 "reps" rapid relax/ 100% on, 20 seconds rest, 4 repeats.

Stretching and abs

Still using the overlaod eccentric jolt or movement at the joint to increase/recalibrate force production.
Broke my own rules on the rows and did them freestanding hand vs hand so I could get a different angle - have to see how that plays out.

Staying the course A,B,A - B,A,B with two sessions of HIIT.
For both of my upper body pulls I am now freestanding, no lean. I am incorporating a bit of high low movement at the joint for the lat pulls, trap and delt am pushing hands in out a few inches. These seem to work better/hit a better angle than the leans.

Pretty cool and finally getting some traction on HR from a HIIT only aerobic regimen. 58bpm, which is still pretty high for most of the LISS practitioners, I cannot recall mine ever being under 65 and often it used to run stubbornly at 73-74 at rest. Has been slowly lowering over the last few months.

Nice!

Just checked again, 54. Sweet.

Last edited:
Here are full length video of my two basic ABA workouts, typically bookending two HIIT sessions.

With relatively minor tweaking this has been the routine for almost a year now. Addition of the tension resisted little jolts is the biggest change, that was added about a month or so ago.

Very cool Martin, answers a lot of questions.. thanks for sharing (y)

3 minutes jumprope warmup
- DL
- Laterals
- Quad Extension
- "dumbell" benchpress
- Hammer curl

All holds done 15seconds full on, 20 "reps" rapid relax/ 100% on, 20 seconds rest. Second 'set' 25 seconds full on, 20 "reps" rapid relax/ 100% on, 20 seconds rest.

Crunch variations interleaved with stretching.

Using longer holds spaced with shorter ones, just a hint of movement perpendicular to the line of resistance. The laterals use a tether to produce a 3 point dynamic allowing for eccentric lengthening - the same principal is used on my lat pulls.

Swapped out sprint in place for jumprope on my day’s HIIT, managed just under 4 footfalls per second (3.6). Next go I’ll shoot for 3.8.

Running in place has more potential for increase in output over time.

Yesterday DL&Benchpress iso day

Today sprint in place HIIT same format as jumprope. Managed 3.8 footfalls/second. These might be tougher than jumprope, and surprisingly tougher maybe than band-resisted.

Have used it before from time to time and recommended it often, time for me to take a deeper dive.

Squat and Row iso variant. Taking a couple weeks of nothing but straight effort, no bounce or resisted eccentrics. Doing rows today maybe the first time in my life I could feel them firing hard all the way to my floating ribs.

OHP my forearms got crazy pumped, that’s not usual either.

Band resisted sprint in place HIIT, 3.8 footfalls/second.

Increased the work portion to 24 seconds work to 20 seconds rest.

Still doing isometric ABA, BAB. Increased the number of pulse ‘reps’ to a 20 second interval. Playing around with these to see what the response will be. Still feeling loose at work although muscles are a little warm and I sweat easy. That said, we’re in the middle of a plant shut-down, am spending a lot of time running stairs.

Today was DL, high pull, leg extension, bench (incline), curls - finally figured out how to get a true long-length bicep hold

Am now using:
- 10 second steady state 100%
- 30 second rest
- 25 second steady state 100%
- 30 second rest
- 25 second rapid 100% pulse (average 35-42 ‘reps’ )
- 30 second rest
- 25 second steady state 100%
- 30 second rest
- 25 second rapid 100% pulse

Continuing with the 50:50 steady state : pulse program. These leave me with small aches the following day, never in the bigger muscles but in smaller supporting groups. Am looking to see what the exact adaptive response will be to using these for a few months. Would like to come up with a non self destructive means of testing joint and impact resilience/integrity but will likely wait for chance to supply it as usual. So far they do seem to trigger a little more hypertrophy due to the relax/contract pattern.

The band resisted sprint HIIT is still progressing well, very challenging every interval. I highly recommend folks give this a try, esp if you live in a built up urban area where running outside can be downright unpleasant. Even when used with a jog it works very well.

Starting a new experimental block, something I’d wanted to give a go for a long time. Combining isometrics with isotonics, using a 40lb and 75lb bag.

The isotonics will take the place of the jolt “reps”, so each set = 3 steady state 100% intervals of 25 seconds/30 seconds rest, alternating with 2 rapid cadence sets of 10-15 reps with a 30-60% repmax load (approx) with 30 seconds rest.

The idea is to reintroduce some proprioception, get some full stroke ROM/blood turnover in the muscle, generate some metabolic stress.

Was making an attempt to push back up to 200+lbs but the basic program will not support lean mass much above 192-193lbs.

Yesterday’s menu:
Warmup run in place

-Squat isometric 25 sec
-30sec rest
-Backsquats 105lb sandbag 15 reps
-30sec rest
-Squat isometric 25 sec
-30sec rest
-Backsquats 105lb sandbag 15 reps
-30sec rest
-Squat isometric 25 sec
-2 minutes rest