all posts post new thread

Honest Effort

3.5 miles, 11.5 mph pace, 140 average HR. According to Maffetone formula I should be closer to 130.

Still working on my footfall placement, knee angle at the bottom. You’d think this would be instinctive but is right up there with KB Swing…

A little DOMS from yesterday, the dynamic tension is doing things.

3.5 miles, 11.5 mph pace, 140 average HR. According to Maffetone formula I should be closer to 130.

Still working on my footfall placement, knee angle at the bottom. You’d think this would be instinctive but is right up there with KB Swing…

A little DOMS from yesterday, the dynamic tension is doing things.
Good to see you running well, Martin! Technique certainly is a practice.. every time.

Yesterday’s work

Center pull DL
Upright row
Leg extension
Bench
Curls

All holds done:
20sec static
15sec pulse
30sec dynamic tension

20sec rest between. Abs and stretching to finish

Overdid it with the dynamic tension, my pecs are burning today.

Chopped 3 intervals off my HIIT and knocked off 5 seconds, so 20 on, 15 off.
Next go am chopping to 12 seconds recovery on my way to 10, and then MAYBE start increasing interval count back toward 15.

My 7 week jogging experiment has left me taping my heel every day and feeling wiped. Back into the HIIT with renewed vigor.

Worked up to a genuine 2:1 work:rest ratio
3 beats per second
20 on, 10 off, 10 intervals.
The 178 on the graph must be a tech error.
HR back under 120 in 1 minute 40 seconds

Isometric and sandbag hybrid. The sandbag can be thought of as a Drop Set maybe. It simply takes the place of the dynamic tension component.

All holds done:
20sec static
15sec pulse
30sec sandbag AMRAP stopping with 2-3 RIR or when time expires.
20sec rest between

Squat
OHP
Hamstring Curl/Nordic curl
Bent Row/one arm row
Tricep extension overhead

So I picked up a membership to Planet Fitness since the rest of the family already has one and I’m curious to see how I do in that environment.

Applying basic template
A:
DL or Good Mornings (barbell)
Shoulder laterals (dumbell)
Leg extensions (machine)
Bench (barbell)
Hammer curls (dumbell)

B:
Squat (barbell)
OHP (barbell)
Nordic curls
Bent rows (barbell)
Tricep horizontal press (ez bar)

Finish with crunches and stretching

Sets are pyramid up, last set finishing with Drop Sets, Rest Pause, or a Cluster. Strange to be training in a gym again.

I finish every session next to the “360” area where they keep the bosu platform and kettlebells. End of day I’m going to finish with a set of some kettlebell lift. Haven’t picked up a KB in about 3+ years.

Today was circular cleans. Right side was a little off at first, left side dropped right in the rack.

Hey Martin, how goes?
Haven't trained in a gym for over 25 yrs, the shock could kill me lol
I’ll be cancelling my membership soon I imagine. The lack of real barbell is a problem, other than that it’s not too bad.
My other big issue is there’s no good way to train isometrics.

But the strangest factor, driven probably by so many creeps abusing the environment, there is very little social acknowlegment. You go, you train, you leave with narry a nod or word to anyone but the counter staff.

I’ll be cancelling my membership soon I imagine. The lack of real barbell is a problem, other than that it’s not too bad.
My other big issue is there’s no good way to train isometrics.

But the strangest factor, driven probably by so many creeps abusing the environment, there is very little social acknowlegment. You go, you train, you leave with narry a nod or word to anyone but the counter staff.
Martin, sorry I missed this reply. Came to do my occasional check-up on you, what are you up to these days?
Gyms ain't what they used to be, now it's like a Twilight Zone of the self absorbed narcissist.

Martin, sorry I missed this reply. Came to do my occasional check-up on you, what are you up to these days?
Gyms ain't what they used to be, now it's like a Twilight Zone of the self absorbed narcissist.
These days I'm just staying the course with my isometrics and HIIT, not much to add to my logs without sounding like a broken record.

Have a few ways to manipulate it so I'm not doing the same thing all the time, and my joints, reaction time, hypertrophy responding well. Still doing industrial maint, so I gotta stay young out there.

How are you doing these days?

These days I'm just staying the course with my isometrics and HIIT, not much to add to my logs without sounding like a broken record.

Have a few ways to manipulate it so I'm not doing the same thing all the time, and my joints, reaction time, hypertrophy responding well. Still doing industrial maint, so I gotta stay young out there.

How are you doing these days?
Good, glad to hear you're still alive and doing it :)

Back
Top Bottom