all posts post new thread

Honest Effort

North Coast Miller

Level 9 Valued Member
Hello,
Background - 48 yr old lifetime fitness and blue collar work. Am working around a handful of injuries, most recent a bilateral hernia repair from last year, degenerative disk at C5/C6 and C6/C7 that went seriously symptomatic though has toned down greatly in recent months. Long term facia arthritis at L4/L5, L5/S1.

Found my way to kettlebells following wrist surgeries (both), the repair is a scaphoidectomy with four corner fusion, so I cannot bear heavy loads directly down into the palm and grip endurance is compromised as well. This also rules out renegade rows and similar though am trying to get back to where I can tolerate them. Initially my wrist mobility now 50% of what it was pre-surgery was so reduced I had to do my TGUs off of my elbow instead of my palm.

I tend to mix up my workouts a bit but nothing too crazy. I try to get in three and sometimes four per week, sometimes I'm lucky to get in two. Am slowly incorporating my 32 KG back into rotation, would like to get back to long-cycle it but cannot currently do more than a few cleans in a row, so limit it to lifts that do not incorporate a clean.

- 9/6/16 -
Warm-up:
Slingshots 18kg, 20 each direction
Halos 18kg, 20 each direction
figure 8 to a hold, 30 each direction
Swings alternating one hand 18 kg 40 each

Bent press to a squat, 32 kg 6 reps/side, two sets
Jerk 32kg 10 reps side, two sets
Circular cleans to a reverse lunge 18kg, 8 reps, two sets
Bottoms up clean and press 16kg, 10 reps, two sets

Martin

9/8/16

Warm-up:
Slingshots 16kg, 20 each direction
Halos 16kg, 20 each direction
Swings alternating one hand 16 kg 50 each

TGU 24kg 3 reps/side no rest, 2 sets

Snatch/Squat 24kg 8 reps/side 2 sets - no swing on the downside, I lower my lifting shoulder a little and pull into the snatch as I drop into an overhead squat

Press 24kg 10 reps/side, 2 sets

Bottoms up C&P 16kg 10reps, 2 sets

Warm-up:
Slingshots 16kg, 20 each direction
Halos 16kg, 20 each direction
Swings 50lb 50 reps

Bent press
- 50lb 15 reps
- 70 lb 8 reps
-60 lb 8 reps, dropped 10lb and another 4 reps

Rows
- 50 lbs 18 reps
- 70lbs 10 reps
- 70lbs 8 reps, drop 20 another 3 reps w/50

Sotts press one hand to an overhead squat
- 35lb 8 reps each hand, 2 sets no rest

Deck squats
- 35 lbs 15 reps

9/12/16
Slingshots 18kg, 20 each direction
Halos 18kg, 20 each direction
figure 8 to a hold, 18kg 30 each direction
Swings one hand 18kg 50 reps ea

Jerk to a squat 32 kg
10 reps
8 reps
4 reps/drop set 24kg 4 reps

Bent rows (w/ towel)
50kg 15 reps
56kg 12 reps
56 kg 10 reps/drop set 32 kg 8 reps

Circular cleans / reverse lunge
18kg 8 reps 2 sets, no break

Decksquats
18kg, no momentum, 10 reps

Hot potatoes
18 kg 2 minutes

Took a few days off - bursitis in shoulder acted up and then went out of town for a short canoe trip.

One of my more varied workouts:
9/20/16

Slingshots 40lb, 20 each direction
Halos 40lb, 20 each direction
figure 8 to a hold, 40lb 30 each direction
Swings one hand alternating 40lb 50 reps ea

TGU
-50lbs 4 reps/side/1set
-70lb 2 reps/side/2sets

Horizontal cleans
- 40lbs 8reps/side/1set
- 40 lbs 6 reps/side/2sets

Snatch/squat, performed with no break
- 40 lbs 8reps/1set
- 50 lbs 8reps/1set

Deck squats
- 40 lbs 10 reps
no rest
Hack Squats
- 40 lbs 10 reps

A look at what I call the horizontal clean, I don't do these very often but are a great exercise:

Snatch squat, I do not execute a full ROM kettlebell snatch - the movement is more vertical:

9/22/16
figure 8 to a hold, 40lb 20 each direction
Swings one hand alternating 40lb 40 reps ea

- Bent press
50 lbs/12reps
60 lbs/10reps
70 lbs/6reps

- Rows
40lbs 16 reps
50 lbs 12
60 lbs 9 reps, drop 10lbs 3rep

- Sotts press to overhead squat - no rest between sets. Really felt this one!
40 lbs 8reps
40 lbs 6reps

- deck squat
40lbs 10 reps
-no rest-
hack squat
40lbs 8 reps

Squat snatch... interesting!

I initially tried this years ago with more of a swing/snatch but made it very difficult to control. Adopted a more vertical static pull on the snatch - I suppose I should complete the movement and set the KB on the deck at the conclusion of the movement, doing a proper one handed snatch analog to the barbell snatch for every rep. Am not sure if that would bring a lot to the usefulness of the exercise but maybe, as I'd have to use a full deadlift posture every time as opposed to just dropping one shoulder. Might also encourage me to use heavier weight than I can safely balance...

I'm 180lb average and can do 65 lbs heaviest with good control despite thinking I should be able to run this with heavier loads - most often I use 40 or 50 lbs for reps and put it toward the end of the workout. Lack of control or deviation beyond a few degrees is unacceptable, so not a lift I promote at all to the inexperienced - I don't even mention it.

Was very surprised when I first began incorporating the snatch/squat - this movement sucks up oxygen faster than pretty much any other I do, despite not really looking any more involved than most compound overhead squat movements such as squat press. I use a four breath count as I go and that guides my pacing, I cannot sustain more than a handful with three breaths per. Need to run this with a heart rate monitor and a few breathing variations. This movement also somewhat bucks the concept of more technically demanding lifts being less useful for general fitness application, as this definitely challenges my work endurance more than any other yet is also a very general movement pattern while being very demanding of timing and balance.

If interested, start with light load and concentrate on control and a vertical introduction of the KB. Take a breath at the bottom to prevent any bounce effect when coming back up.

Took the day off from exercise to take down the kid's 15 foot pool for the season, and to move some furniture around.

I did give this a try with a start/finish from a deadlift posture and rep it from there for a few sets. Definitely harder on the legs as it incorporates both DL and low squat. Managed it OK but will take some time to get the pull just right so I don't pound my forearms or overshoot the angle shoulder to hand. Will have to do one or two of these every day till they get dialed in - I'd like to rep them with the 28kg I'm getting for my Bday later this week.

Where did you learn these "non-standard" exercises?

The squat snatch I first came across on Kettlebellworks, though had been thinking prior there had to be a snatch variation that more closely mimicked the barbell snatch. I liked the potential of it but wasn't comfortable using it with a swinging snatch. Followed by youtube of some folks doing zero momentum snatches, so I put two and two together.

Many of my non-standard movement I have to give credit to Steve Maxwell - deck squats, circular cleans, hack squats, hot potatoes. Steve Cotter for the Sott's press. Who doesn't want to learn the Bent Press?!

The horizontal clean was more of a thought exercise to see if ballistic movement could be incorporated into the row and reach muscles further down the back like a pull up. Initially I didn't bring the KB all the way up into a rack, I simply swung it out in front and pulled back to the chambered row position. As I became more familiar with the movement it was a natural progression. Actually stole a bit from some of the circular clean movements I'd seen where people used lighter weight and a much bigger movement to rack the KB after clearing it about even with their forehead. The core activation needed to stabilize the trunk made me really enjoy this one. Because of my wrist issues, stuff like Renegade Rows are off the menu and I'm always looking for variety.

Is a natural tool to experiment with as long as one doesn't do anything dangerous or waste their time.

Yeah, seems solid. I'm not an expert on getting outside of the standard stuff, but these seem fairly solid to me, unlike some of the other crazy things I've seen on youtube ;)

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for taking a look and giving an opinion! That's what these open training logs are all about. As far as inexperienced folk are concerned, I only teach the basics.

From what I've seen, many of the non-standard movements are redundant or less effective than the more common forms. In some cases they're analogous to more widely used forms, but fun to learn simply for the variety. I try to pay attention to how it feels as the load changes - if the movement can be performed safely with a wide range of load and doesn't violate basic principles of body alignment and support, then its probably safe at the least. Most are nothing more than adaptations of more common forms to whatever equipment is at hand, few are truly different.

The one movement I will not entertain much variety is the swing. Some of the variations out there are not only ineffective/inefficient compared to other exercises, but appear to be downright dangerous (cue the Jillian Michaels swing progression). Even then I try to reserve judgement, as some of the variations seem intended to help with very specific injury recovery or chronic imbalances, but that doesn't mean I'll be trying them anytime soon...

9/26/16

figure 8 to a hold, 40lb 15 each direction
Swings one hand alternating 40lb 50 reps ea - felt strong and not quite easy but more relaxed than usual - might need to up the weight, I'm not doing more than 100.

C&P to a front squat - 15 breaths between sets
50lbs 10 reps
60lbs 8 reps
60lbs 8reps

Bent rows w/towel
70 lbs 15 reps
110lbs 12 reps
120lbs 10 reps

Circular cleans to a reverse lunge
40lbs 8 reps - no rest
40lbs 6reps

Deck Squats
40lbs 10 reps - no rest
Hack Squats
40lbs 8 reps

9/28

Halos 40lb, 15 each direction
Swings one hand alternating 50lbs 40 reps ea

TGU
50lbs/ 4 reps/1set
wrist not feeling so good today, did the next two reps off of my down elbow
50lbs /4 reps/2 set

Horizontal Cleans
40lbs /6reps/3sets

Snatch Squat
40lbs /8 reps/3 sets
did the first set from a full barbell snatch posture, but was too light for the added boost from my back and glutes. As I suspected, doing these from a barbell posture will have me doing too much weight to safely execute, at least at my current skill level.

Last two sets done per the video above. I cannot stress how much O2 this sucks from the body - was more winded doing 8 of these one side than the entire 80 swings with a 50 lb KB.

Deck squats finished with a jump
40 lbs / 8 reps/1 set
no rest

Hack Squat
40lbs / 8 reps
had to really dig my toes in to finish these off

10/1
First workout with new 28kg comp KB - my only competition style KB. Wanted something to help bridge the 32 kg that was feeling too heavy for some exercises - for now.

Swings one hand alternating 40lbs 40 reps ea

Bent press to a squat
50 lbs/12 reps
28kg/8 reps x2

Upright rows w/ towel
50 lbs/ 15 reps
28kg/12 reps x2

Sotts press
40lbs/8reps x2

Deck squat
40 lbs 10 reps

Hot potatoes
40 lbs 15 reps

and because these were so unpleasant I added a second set. I do these with a lot more upper body sway than most versions you might see on the web.

10/3

Swings one hand alternating 40lbs 30 reps ea
Swings 2 hand 28kg 30 reps

Press / push press to a front squat
40lbs 15 reps
28kg 12 rep
28kg 8 reps

Bent rows 2 hands w/ towel
28kg 20 reps
102lbs 15 reps x 2

Snatch squat
40lbs 8 reps x 2

Hot potatoes
40lbs 15 reps x 2

Deck squats
40lbs 10 reps x 2

Hack Squats vertical
40lbs 8 reps x 1

10/5

Swings one hand alternating 40lbs 30 reps ea
Swings 2 hand 28kg 30 reps

Bent Press to an overhead squat
28kg 8 x 3

Upright rows with towel - haven't done these in years but am working them into a few workouts - feels great!
28kg 10 x 3

Sotts press to overhead squat - had to knock a few reps off due to the ^ upright row factor
40lbs 6 x 2

- active recovery crunches each set

Circular cleans
40lbs 8 x 2

- active recovery leg raises

Deck squats
40lbs 10 x 2

Glute bridge 1 leg
15 rep, foot resting on 28 kg KB

I am close to subbing out the 40 for a 50lb on all my secondary exercises, but not quite there yet.

I see you do "The Exercise" (snatch squats) too. One I also like is a double snatch into double over head lunge. Changing your stance can be goofy between movements if doing them as a chain so it might be more comfortable to do them as complex. My favorite is doing 2 or 3 of each at the top of every minute. "Curtis P" are fantastic for leg stamina too. What other chains and complexes have you done that you like?

I see you do "The Exercise" (snatch squats) too. One I also like is a double snatch into double over head lunge. Changing your stance can be goofy between movements if doing them as a chain so it might be more comfortable to do them as complex. My favorite is doing 2 or 3 of each at the top of every minute. "Curtis P" are fantastic for leg stamina too. What other chains and complexes have you done that you like?

The snatch squat is my all time favorite for this type of thing, I am still amazed at how taxing it is. Attempts to push it from a four breath pace to a three breath pace leave me unable to keep up. I sometimes work the circular cleans to a reverse lunge, but I find with many of the complex movements I'm often better off performing them as separate exercises depending on what I expect to gain, especially if the entire movement takes more than 5 seconds or so. The Deck Squat finished with a jump is another good one - have to keep the elbows in and bent a little at the bottom of the movement or it will really stress the shoulders.

At the gym (I don't have a barbell at home anymore) I like to do the sequence demo'd by DiLuglio at 2:30 on this vid

-Sotts to overhead squat to dropping under the bar and back up to the stationary bar. I used to do these at the end of my workout with just an Olympic bar or maybe some 10s on there. I don't think the gym rats knew what to make of it...

Mostly I just add a squat or lunge to an existing lift, or turn them into a two hands anyhow. I've done TGUs with an extra weight at my knee, curl and stand into a two hands anyhow, and continue the movement on the opposite side. This is a nice way to go as it doesn't interfere with the basic movement.

Another good one that requires a lot of familiarity - when working a bent press to a squat, pick up another KB at the bottom, curl, stand. I cannot do this with matching weights, so the second KB is always lighter - cannot do a two hand anyhow and just finish on the other side. So I reverse the movement (that's when you know you own the bent press mechanics), set the extra weight down at the bottom and finish back in the starting posture.

Back
Top Bottom