all posts post new thread

Honest Effort

10/7

Slingshots 40lb, 20 each direction
Halos 40lb, 15 each direction
figure 8 to a hold, 40lb 15 each direction
Swings one hand alternating 40lbs 30 reps ea
Swings 2 hand 28kg 30 reps

Shoulder press to front squat - am feeling a lot of added activation in the lat, especially along the insertion point. Pretty sure this is a by product of the upright rows I've added in recently.
28kg 8,7,6

Bent rows w/ towel, added some drop reps at the end. Not sure why these feel so tough, maybe the added ROM from the towel. I can one arm bent row nearly the same weight/reps. Only added this for a couple of workouts so far, can feel it getting stronger. I thought I felt a long lost sensation around my armpit and sure enough after this workout I could see one of my old stretch marks getting some color. The re-buffification program is beginning to show more results!
28kg 20
82 lbs 12, 11

Snatch Squat
40lbs 8 x 2

Hot potatoes - not sure why, but this movement more than any other has me feeling like I might throw up my water on the last one or two reps.
40lbs 12 x 2

No rest between the last three:

Deck Squat
40lbs 10
Hack Squat
40lbs 8
Glute bridge
15 reps

10/10

Slingshots 50lb, 20 each direction
Halos 50lb, 15 each direction
figure 8 to a hold, 50lb 15 each direction
Swings one hand alternating 50lbs 30 reps ea

Bent press
28kg 8 x 3

Upright rows
28kg 12 x 3

Sotts Press
40lbs 8 x 2

Circular cleans
40 lbs 8 x 2

Next three no rest:

Deck Squats
40lbs 10 reps

Hack Squats
40lbs 10 reps

Glute Bridge
15 reps / side

10/12

Slingshots 40lb, 20 each direction
Halos 40lb, 15 each direction
figure 8 to a hold, 40lb 15 each direction
Swings one hand alternating 40lbs 30 reps ea

Shoulder press to front squat
28kg 8,7,6

Bent rows w/ towel
28kg 20
82 lbs 12, 11

Snatch Squat
40lbs 8 x 2
active recovery crunch

Hot potatoes
40lbs 12 x 2
active recovery leg raises

No rest between the last three:

Deck Squat
40lbs 10
Hack Squat
40lbs 8
Glute bridge
15 reps

-- Shoulder is starting to feel more consistent, less problem with wrists. Will probably include TGU in one of my next workouts.

Out of town for a canoe trip to the Adirondacks. Lots of paddling, lots of solo paddling in a mid size canoe. Lots of hauling heavy downfall through dense undergrowth. Have been doing this for many years, and of all the activities I've seen the largest improvement overall since starting KB work, swimming and paddling are the most obvious.

First update in a bit - my program hasn't changed much, training 3 times a week, 4 when I can get it in.

Was feeling a touch of the seasonal depression today so decided to shake it up a bit and train jumprope.

My rope is 1/4" sisal on regular handles.

Did 10 minutes forward

5 minutes forward with reverse (ice pick) grip

5 minutes backward

no rest

I maintain a .5 second beat and alternate feet, counting every alternate foot as I go. I can tell with a quick glance at the clock if I'm maintaining my pace - 300 counts every 5 minutes.

Haven't done this workout in over a decade, stopped due to repetitive use pain in my shoulder and onset of heel spurs.

My wind held up fine, my Achilles tendons feel like metal cables. Feel pretty good. Back in the day I did this with 1/2" sisal, need to work my way back up to that.

Of late I've been using abbreviated workouts.

First one, no rest between exercises:
40lb KB
one hand swings - 50
overhead press - 12
front squat - 15
rows - 15
glute bridge - 15

switch hands and repeat, then with no rest:

50 lb KB
bent press - 12
circular cleans - 8

switch hands and repeat

have also been doing my jumprope workout:
5 minutes forward wrist action only,
5 minutes backward wrist action only
5 minutes forward, inverted grip, shoulders and wrists locked
5 minutes forward, inverted grip, wrists and elbows locked

One of my newer routines, I haven't been very good at keeping up on this...

Slingshots 15 each direction 35lb
figure 8s 30 each 35lb
swings, alternating hands 80/40lbs

MP to a front squat with calf raises each rep
10 with 50
6 with 65
5 with 65, drop set 5 with 50

1 handed pendulum rows
10 with 40
8 with 50
5 with 50, drop set 4 with 40

Squat snatch
7 with 50lbs
5 with 50, drop set 5 with 40

Hot potatoes
15 with 50
12 with 50, drop set 10 with 40

Hacksquat
15 with 50
15 with 40

Stretch

Missed logging a couple of workouts, this is the most recent:

I added a 20 lb "anchor" in the rack position to the off hand for all upright lifts - the overhead press and snatch squat. Could really feel the additional pec activation to keep it tight, and also some added fatigue on the primary hand. Am feeling the effect from the drop sets boosting my capacity - minus the anchor I'd have been able to increase my primary loads this workout, and that's in addition to doing hours of hand planing a new dining room table the day before.

Am going to keep working volume (glycolitic) and add heavy workouts with fewer sets and more rest for ATP-PC on separate weeks. If the neck, back and wrists hold up to the heavier loads I intend to use a 2:1 ratio. The heavier workout is slated next.

figure 8s 30 each 35lb
swings, two hands 50lbs 80 reps

MP to a front squat with calf raises each rep, 20 lb anchor in off hand
10 with 50
6 with 65

1 handed pendulum rows
10 with 40
8 with 50
5 with 50, drop set 4 with 40

Squat snatch, 20 lb anchor in off hand
7 with 50lbs
5 with 50, drop set 5 with 40

Hot potatoes
15 with 50
12 with 50, drop set 10 with 40

Hacksquat
15 with 50
15 with 40

Stretch

Alright, the first of my non-glycolitic workouts, to be interspersed with my higher volume stuff on a weekly basis give or take.

Actually hit a PR today mostly because I've never tried to clean my two heaviest KBs at the same time, so cleaned my 32 and 28.

Also, was able to train outside...in February... in Upstate NY (about 5 miles from Lake Ontario)...in bare feet.

Temps are 40° above normal (63° today and the same tomorrow) and we've had a bizarre warm Winter already...I'm not so sure I feel good about that but it did give me a chance to exercise outdoors.

warm-up
Slingshots 15 each direction 40lb
figure 8s 30 each 40lb
swings, alternating two hands 40lbs 80 reps

Overhead press
32kg 4 reps each hand
3 minutes rest

repeat 4 times

Double front squat
32kg and 28 kg 5 reps
3 minutes rest

repeat 4 times

Last edited:
Two days ago did this workout. I may already be feeling some neural strength from the heavier load workouts.

figure 8s 30 each 35lb
swings, one hand, non-alternating 40lbs 40 reps ea

MP to a front squat with calf raises each rep, 20 lb anchor in off hand
10 with 50
6 with 65

1 handed pendulum rows
10 with 40
8 with 50
5 with 62, drop set 4 with 50

Squat snatch
8 with 50lbs
4 with 62 (personal best for reps), drop set 4 with 50

Hot potatoes
15 with 62
12 with 62, drop set 10 with 50

Hacksquat
15 with 50
15 with 50

Stretch

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today's workout:

warm-up
figure 8s 30 each 40lb
swings, alternating two hands 40lbs 80 reps

Overhead press
32kg 4 reps each hand
3 minutes rest

repeat 4 times

Double front squat
32kg and 28 kg 5 reps
3 minutes rest

repeat 4 times

Am already feeling like I can add an extra rep to the overhead press but am holding off for another week.

Likewise the front squats are getting to where I could have ground out another rep or two for sure.

Am not sure how I'm going to add weight, considering putting some sandbags in my 100lb heavy bag to bring it up to 150lb or so and trying that. I cannot safely stack KBs in one hand and do double cleans. Cannot afford another 32kg or more pairs either. Need to get creative loading more weight. I may just hang one around my shoulders by a rope - is squats after all.

3/6

warm-up
figure 8s 30 each 40lb
swings, two hands 50lbs 80 reps

Bent press to squat
8 reps 55lbs
6 / 70
5/3 with 70/55lbs drop set

Towel bent rows
12 reps 120 lbs
8 reps 145
5/3 reps drop set 145/120

Deck squats
8 reps 50 lbs
6/4 drop set 50/40lbs

Circular cleans
8 reps 50 lbs
6/4 drop set 50/40 lbs

Hack squat
15 reps 50 lbs 2x

Alright, I've skipped logging some of my regular workouts as they haven't been changing much. Have been focusing on really getting the most from my heavy sessions. Have finally been able to hit 5 reps on the overhead press for every set without stalling at all.

I'm able to increase the weight on the double front squat, but I'm not sure I can double clean much more than I'm doing. Am going to have to work heavy cleans more.

warm-up
figure 8s 30 each 40lb
swings, two hands 50lbs 40 reps regular, 40 reps triple extension swings

Overhead press
32kg 5 reps each hand
4 minutes rest

repeat 4 times

Double front squat
32kg and 28 kg 5 reps
3 minutes rest

repeat 4 times

Yesterday's workout - first session in 6 months that included any TGU work. Felt good.

warm-up:
figure 8s 30 each 40lb
halos 15 each 40lb
swings, two hands 50lbs 40 reps regular, 40 reps triple extension swings

TGU - not alternating
5 reps 50lbs
3 reps 62 lb
2/2 drop set 62/50

Pendulum rows *
8 rep 50lb
6 rep 62lb
3/3 drop set 62/50

Squat snatch
8 rep 50
4/4 drop 62/50

Tri press/crunch *
10 rep 40 lbs x2

Swing/squat *
20 reps 35lb x2

* I need to add some short video to demo the first two.

The tripress/crunch is somewhat of Bro move but not really as it hits abs, lats and tri. It seriously targets the tri.

The Pendulum rows are a variation on one handed row, but the KB begins its arc behind the heel of the forward leg, swings out and up at a 45° to the trunk and finishes in a high row with upper back muscles at maximal shortening - lower it close to the body and bring it in behind the heel - repeat. It hits the middle delt, infraspinatus, teres and lats. Despite the ballistic aspect I can only do about 1/2 to 1/3 as many of these as I can a strict one arm row.

The swing/squat is a common variant but I'm not aware of a formal name for it:

That is an interesting variant, swing/squat... I've never seen it before. Looks sound as far as the movement pattern.

That is an interesting variant, swing/squat... I've never seen it before. Looks sound as far as the movement pattern.

Normally I do those with more of a drop into the squat and my legs are nearly straight at the top. I couldn't find the exact video of the version I use (S Maxwell demo) but this is close enough. I use them with fairly light weight, rapid pacing at the end of a routine, in a rotation with those or hack squat - like the triple extension swing and some of the rotational variants, they are NOT a substitute for the Party approved form.

Here are quick video of the Pendulum row and Tricep press variation I use. I should post the tricep extension on the Kettlebell subforum under "one for the Bros" as it is definitely an isolation exercise even if it does drag other groups into the lift. Horizontal tricep extensions in whatever form are IMHO the most effective way to work the tricep. They get huge and strong on these - the tricep equivalent of a hammer curl with added advantage of working the abs, lats, serratus...

I'm always tinkering with the one arm row - compared to a two handed bent row/Tbar row etc, it is very difficult to get a true solid contraction/shortening of the muscles across the back at the top of a one-sided row. The arm fatigues and the back never feels like its getting the same quality of work as when done with two hands. This variant does a good job, is actually more difficult than a straight up single row.

Last edited:
Today was the heavy day of my splits. Have been alternating these every other session but may have to spread that out or take more time off between. Metabolically very taxing and no fun but definitely having the desired effect.

When I began these my overhead press was three clean and gritted out a 4th with the 32kg and now its 5 reliably and ready to begin clawing my way toward 6 or do them with a 10lb stacked and drop back to 3 reps.

I could do more weight on the front squats but I still can barely clean that load with good form. Is still a bit of jerk in there to get them racked.

On the plus side I was able to get dinner ready during my 4-5 minute rest periods.

warm-up
figure 8s 30 each 40lb
swings, one hand 50lbs 20 reps each, 40 reps triple extension swings two hands

Overhead press
32kg 5 reps each hand
4 minutes rest

repeat 4 times

Double front squat
32kg and 28 kg 5 reps
4 minutes rest

repeat 4 times

Heavy/light cycling is paying off as I am ready to go up in weight on BnP but I'm going to concentrate on eccentrics first with same loads. Am now officially hitting the loads/reps I was using two years ago before my cervical degenerative disks went acute followed by double hernia surgery.

warm-up
figure 8s 30 each 40lb

Bent Press to squat
8 rep 55lbs
6 reps 70lbs
5/3 drop set 70/55

Towel bent row
12 rep 120 lbs
8 rep 140lbs
5/3 drop set 140/120

Circular Cleans to lunge
8 reps 50lb
6/4 drop set 50/40

TriPress& Crunch
15 rep 40
12 rep 50

Squat swing
20 reps 40 lbs x2

Here's a demo of the circular clean w/ lunge. From the YT description:

Keep the body squared off until the KB has begun to ascend the opposite side, then turn to meet it. Do not track with the hips as it goes, there should be counter-rotation at the bottom of the arc and a fair amount of pec activation as it climbs back up.

Lighter KBs can be pushed further out horizontally before allowing to fall, heavier ones will begin to drop almost as soon as they fall off the rack.

A great movement to combine with reverse lunge or single front squat.

Am ready to increase weight on the one handed swings and maybe triple extension swings as well.

Overhead press is pretty much owned at 5 reps/70 lbs. I might hold out one more session B4 adding 10 lbs to make it an 80 lb press and dropping reps back to 3. I was able to cleanly press 85lbs over the weekend with no real warmup (my 32kg and a 10lb stacked) - technically a KB PR for me and darn close to a half bodyweight minimum goal.

The double front squat - I never would have thought I'd get good at cleaning them, but at least is done with control and am beginning to work on eliminating the drop/bent knee to catch them. They're landing soft anyway. As far as the legs go I need more weight. As far as holding them in the rack and the rest of my core goes, 132lbs is plenty. Once I own this weight I may have to switch to offset sandbag squats.

warm-up:
figure 8s 30 each 40lb

Overhead press
32kg 5 reps each hand
4 minutes rest

repeat 4 times

Double front squat
32kg and 28 kg 5 reps
4 minutes rest

repeat 4 times

Recovery drink 12ozs milk in blender with 1/4cup walnuts and a couple tablespoons of honey.

Last edited:
Still feeling the energy boost from my split routine. Increased weight on several exercises.

Have never done reps on deck squat with the 28kg - whew!

Also introduced the 28 to my swing routine at same rep count I was doing with the 50lb. I have not been honest with myself re my one hand swings, probably due to long term concerns about facia arthritis in my lower back. I do have to open the hand slightly at the top of the swing to preserve my grip strength, also due to previous wrist problems. Still, pretty sure I could pass Simple with a little bit of additional one hand swing work - which I'll be working in presently!

warm-up:
figure 8s 30 each 35lb
halos 15 each 35lb
swings, one hand 62lbs 20 reps ea regular, 40 reps triple extension swings two hands

TGU - not alternating
5 reps 50lbs
3 reps 62 lb
2/2 drop set 62/50

One hand rows
8 rep 70lb
6 rep85lb
3/3 drop set 85/70

Deck Squats
8 rep 62
5/4 drop set 62/50

Hack Squat
10 rep 50lbs x2

Stretch

Decided to up the weight on my overhead press today rather than gel it longer. Mentally I need the boost more than I need the added load, tho that IS the objective.

First set went very hard, second OK, third I had to really dig deep, last rep with both hands required a bit of lean and I definitely set off the Lunk Alarm. Last rep went up like the first, so this is the new expected load. Stacking a 10lber on the 32kg makes it very tough on the grip.

Cleans with the 32 and 28 continue to improve technique-wise. I eliminated the dip and now just have to pop with the toes GS style. Last set I didn't even have to do that. I am actually not feeling like a weenie doing these. Front squat continues to get stronger in increments - I am not tempted to add a sixth rep.

Also noticing on the heavier swings and especially the triple extension ones I am exhaling hard on the downswing and this seems to be very natural. When I attempt to force exhale on the upswing it takes constant attention and slips back to the inverse immediately.

Edit to add: I went back after my workout and did a handful of additional swings, really concentrating on my exhale at the top - no problem...not sure why the swap but will be back to the Party line next workout.

warm-up:
figure 8s 30 each 35lb
halos 15 each 35lb
swings, one hand 62lbs 20 reps ea regular, 40 reps triple extension swings two hands

Overhead press
80lbs 3 reps each hand
4 minutes rest

repeat 4 times

Double front squat
32kg and 28 kg 5 reps
4 minutes rest

repeat 4 times

Stretch and recovery drink.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom