all posts post new thread

Old Forum Honest opinions on Crossfit

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Are you ? are you training " Hardstyle kettlebells from Pavel ? " addictions is part of life, we are all addicted, same as coaches". Good and bad addictions...

lol that last article is reading for the last line of the article,

'The endless affirmations—all the clapping and grating exclamation points after "You're doing a great job!"—brought out my inner misanthrope.'  i hate that s***

Are you ? are you training ” Hardstyle kettlebells from Pavel ? ” addictions is part of life, we are all addicted, same as coaches”. Good and bad addictions…
The word "addiction" is used to describe a pathological condition and I do not think it is proper to think it is something everyone shares or there can be good addictions.

I do not train with kettlebells.

Again, that has nothing to do with the topic. If the statements about Crossfit cannot be addressed, then they stand as they are. I am finished.

"The word “addiction” is used to describe a pathological condition and I do not think it is proper to think it is something everyone shares or there can be good addictions."

“The word “addiction” is used to describe a pathological condition and I do not think it is proper to think it is something everyone shares or there can be good addictions.”

♥ 1 SFG liked

About addictions : psychologist and psychiatric are saying this, not me.

@ Mike Sasin and @ Joe, " then our plan is working ", this is what I try to explain...

Dude, you almost sound mad when you say your finished. Oh well.
Please do not project emotional states on me. I use the words to communicate what I mean. I have expressed what I wanted on my opinion of Crossfit, and I am not going to continuously address the same topic. I am not going to respond to every logical fallacy. If someone wants to contest what I wrote, then what I wrote should be addressed. Also, there are language issues with me, so please take what I write literally and do not read too much into what I write.

It is a boring topic I think. I do not like to crowd my mind with all the stupidity of others...what next? Are we going to examine "7 minute abs"?

Again you sound like your butthurt about something. I admit that its totally my opinion. I will agree that the topic got boring a while ago. So with that in mind I will continue to lift and swing my kettlebells in a manner I see fit. I know you don't like kettlebells either so unforunately you and I have nothing more to say to each other. Semper Fidelis!

Again you sound like your butthurt about something. I admit that its totally my opinion.
Also, there are language issues with me, so please take what I write literally and do not read too much into what I write.

I have, I know, a " pathological condition " known as addictions.

I am addicted to my training, get " sick " if I miss sessions. I am also addicted to this forum, the only link for me with SF community and I am addicted to lemons.

Are they good or bad addictions ?

A lot of addictions, good and bad, drugs, work...

But important despite our addictions and opinions, to stay smart enought to accept any critiques, it is the best way to stay " open " to any ideas, wathever the topic. A good sense of humor is also important in this friendly forum.

Now had you mentioned that to begin with we could avoided any unpleasantness. Either way, I will read your comments with a sarcasm never before seen. Just kidding. I do look forward to reading more.

@Christine, I also look forward to your addiction to lemons.

Well crud.  I made a post, tried to edit it and then messed up editing it.  Little late getting around to fixing that, so sorry.  Here's everything from my original post...

So I have a few years experience with Crossfit, the first year or so doing it, the rest of those years seeing how Crossfit is working for those around me.  I work as a firefighter for a medium sized department (250 people) and when I came on a few years ago we did Crossfit workouts during rookie school.  This was once or twice a week with the other mornings being focused on either running workouts or practical workouts like hose-pulling or redbag drills (3 times up 3 times down a 6 floor tower in full bunker gear and on air while carrying a 50 pound hose pack).  The rest of the day's physical activity was from doing whatever skill or activity we were learning,.

We were the first rookie school to use Crossfit and before that it was popular among some of our department.  Since I came on it's become a huge part of our department's culture because everyone who doesn't hate it absolutely loves it and will tell you why in great detail.  Whether you ask them to or not.  Personally, I think it's a decent program when taken in small doses.

The CONCEPT of Crossfit is great for this job.  Two dozen or so exercises that utilize your entire body as a unit and range in difficulty from highly advanced (olympic lifting) to caveman ("hit the thing with the thing") mixed up and varied and done in quick succession with little rest for a WOD that lasts about as long as a 45 minute air bottle lasts in the real world (15 minutes or less).

We like to say that firefighting is 15 minutes of fun followed by 3 hours of hard work.  In the first 15 minutes on scene (the "fun") of a fire you're doing a LOT of work.  Catching a hydrant, dragging hoseline, forcing doors, crawling around, using handtools, manning a nozzle (way harder than you'd think), etc.  If there's any type of work that Crossfit's "generalist" approach would work perfect for, it's this job.  It was great as a gut-check to help us see just what going all-out for 15 minutes would feel like and learning to push ourselves.

Beyond that use as an occasional gut-check, however, the returns greatly diminish the more you use it.  Guys on our department who do Crossfit, and only Crossfit, experience a greater level of injuries due to higher rep and poor form workouts.  They also see fewer gains over time as the people who take a more balance or strength based approach to keeping in shape for this job.  I should also note that they do seem to start sucking wind quicker during the 3 hours of overhaul (i.e. where the real work takes place) after we've had our 15 minutes of fun, but everyone eventually gets worn out from overhaul eventually.

The guys who stick with it also end up doing more and more ridiculous exercises (wallball burpees?  high-rep box jumps?  handstand pushups?!?!) which result in poor form, less strength gains and more injuries.  There is no reason someone should be doing band-assisted ring dips when you can't do a few bar dips.

When I quit doing Crossfit and found ETK (I will give it to Crossfit, they introduced me to kettlebells, albeit through the less than perfect overhead swing) I noticed greater strength and cardio gains and I can go as long as anyone during the 3 hours of hard work.

So yeah, beyond it being great an occasional group WOD for fun to see how well you can push yourself (in a similar idea as the once-a-month snatch test from the RoP) I see very little use for Crossfit.

As a side note, my BIGGEST gripe about Crossfit is that any time you do something with high intensity intervals, Crossfit devotees try to say you're doing Crossfit.  Listen, getting your crew together to have a friendly competition to see who can flip some tires, drag some hose, do some (real) pullups and farmer-carry some dumbells the fastest IS NOT doing Crossfit!  It's working out and you don't own a copyright on that.

As a side note, my BIGGEST gripe about Crossfit is that any time you do something with high intensity intervals, Crossfit devotees try to say you’re doing Crossfit.  Listen, getting your crew together to have a friendly competition to see who can flip some tires, drag some hose, do some (real) pullups and farmer-carry some dumbells the fastest IS NOT doing Crossfit!  It’s working out and you don’t own a copyright on that.
This irks me too. Since Crossfit borrows from nearly everything, those who see "Crossfit first" think everything is from Crossfit, rather than the other way around.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom