all posts post new thread

Barbell Hook grip

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

regulus

Level 1 Valued Member
I am 48 years and train just to feel and look good and young, no athletic goals.

One of the factors which limited progress of the deadlift is grip (all time best was 5*120kg a year ago). So far I used double overhand grip as the alternated DL grip absolutely does not harmonize with me.

For diverse reason I try to do a few cycles PttP with Snatch Grip DL and I thought this might be a great opportunity to get used to the hook grip. But even at measly 60 kg starting weight of the cycle: the pain in the thumb is horrible (whimper, whimper).

Is it just a matter of practicing often enough to get used to the pain. Or has anyone some tips? I would appreciate good instruction/ article how to best use the hook grip

If you haven't tried this already, then I highly recommend kettlebell ballistics. Swings and snatches will often improve one's ability to hold onto a heavy deadlift.

For most people, hook grip can be gotten used to - you just have to be patient - but I'd work on your grip before giving up on it. Speaking just for myself, I was able to get used to the hook grip on one hand but not the other, and since I work with my hands for a living, I've stopped using it. It wasn't pain while lifting but rather nagging joint soreness at the base of one thumb after lifting.

-S-

1. Taping your thumbs helps with the pain
2. Take ~70% of your 1RM and just hold it at the top position for time for 3sets. Do that 3x per week. Every 1-2 weeks increase the weight by 5%.
3. Do power cleans with a hook grip

Thanks to both for great suggestions. I like particularly the idea to add KB snatches. A year ago I did something like this for a while and I felt less "stiff".
Steve, Is it really possible to build a decent DL ( let's say 145kg for reps at BW 71) with a double overhand grip? If it takes a bit longer no problem.

@regulus, I have deadlifted that much weight with a double overhand grip and I weigh a little less than you.

-S-

I concur with Steve on the advice to do kettlebell ballistics. I went from S&S simple (along w/ the occasional 40kg swings) to working with barbells and have yet to have an issue with my grip strength on heavy deadlifts.

But even at measly 60 kg starting weight of the cycle: the pain in the thumb is horrible (whimper, whimper).
By all means keep your wrist neutral, knuckles face downward so your thump isnt under the bar but your fingers is.

If you are working on your hook grip, and if you understand the concept we teach here of "use your strength to make space in your joints," try to apply that to your hook grip.

-S-

Inuk, Thanks! I will try this immediately. I think this was exactly the mistake.

And Thanks Phil and Steve. This is very reassuring and I like this idea very much. For example doing a few easy sets of 10 OHS after PttP, as much as it feels right and not overly stressing.

You could tape your thumb to make the hookgrip a little more comfortable. That makes for me quite a difference when I snatch or clean. Although probably less so in deadlifts as the weight is bigger.

Coming from an Olympic lifting background, the hook grip hurts you just have to deal with it. Once you adapt and build up the thumb callous it will hurt to a lesser degree.

Just like the kettlebell hurts your forearm until you get used to it.

Coming from an Olympic lifting background, the hook grip hurts you just have to deal with it. Once you adapt and build up the thumb callous it will hurt to a lesser degree.

Just like the kettlebell hurts your forearm until you get used to it.
If your hook grib hurts, then you're doing it wrong

The pressure on the thumb with heavy weight is painful it doesn't matter how you do it.

My wife's coach, Erin Tieder, says it just takes time and yes it will hurt. She recommends using the hook grip wherever you can in your daily life to speed up conditioning your thumb to it. She has competed at the national level with East Coast Gold and owns and operates a successful CrossFit box with an awesome Oly program.

Watch a powerlifting meet; watch videos of world records being set. You'll find both over/under and hook grip being used. The choice is up to each lifter, IMHO.

-S-

My wife's coach, Erin Tieder, says it just takes time and yes it will hurt. She recommends using the hook grip wherever you can in your daily life to speed up conditioning your thumb to it. She has competed at the national level with East Coast Gold and owns and operates a successful CrossFit box with an awesome Oly program.

Definitely to adapt and build up the hook grip callous on the thumb use hook grip for all pulls. I even use it for curls. Pull-ups,hangs, and carries using hook grip are a real test of mental fortitude.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom