all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Hopkins Medicine: OS resets for bouncing back from Covid-19

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Johns Hopkins Medicine has published a short rehab guide together with Tim Anderson, based on Original Strength:

I think this is really cool. Not only for the current situation but for general rehab.

Wow, that's fantastic! I can personally attest to it's effectiveness for recovery... What's in that guide is very much like what I did in weeks 3-6 after surgery as I wrote about here: Coming Back Strong After Surgery | StrongFirst

edit: I think this article is hurtful and doesn't come close to respecting the reality of COVID that patients and providers are dealing with

Last edited by a moderator:
edit: I think this article is hurtful and doesn't come close to respecting the reality of COVID that patients and providers are dealing with

Well, that's a good perspective. I have yet to come in direct contact with anyone that's had it. Closest thing is people known by people I know; two degrees of separation.

I would think that anyone ill enough to be hospitalized would have a larger degree of recovery than the article can address. What about anyone that doesn't get to that degree of severity?

@Jak Nieuwenhuis, @Anna C, I didn't find the article hurtful, but having had fairly close contact with the pandemic - knowing doctors on the front lines, and having lost a dear friend - I don't find anything remarkable about the article because it essentially tells us about doing things that are, I think most of us would agree, good for us, and as long as one's health isn't _too_ compromised, those "things that are good for us" can help improve health, be it from marginal to normal, or from normal to better than normal.

A couple we are friendly with in our town - the woman is a doctor at our local hospital, a place close enough to our house that I walk to it - were in the thick of all this, with not enough personal protection equipment, running out of ventilators, and all that. The word scary doesn't get close - our friend was not only dealing with people whose lives were in great jeopardy, her own life was at risk, too.

And we lost a dear friend, a fellow musician, who I sat with on the bench outside of our local post office for about 20 minutes on Tuesday, March 10 while waiting for my wife to join me. He went to a birthday party held in his honor on Thursday, March 12, and he invited me to come since both our birthdays are around that time. I was teaching until late enough that evening that I declined the invitation. He went into the hospital on what became the expected schedule, just under 2 weeks after the birthday party. I don't _know_ for sure that the party was where he contracted the disease but someone else who was there also tested positive soon afterward. And after a short stay in the hospital, and everyone first thinking he'd gotten over it, he took a quick turn for the worse and died.

Personally, I try to give great latitude to everyone in speaking about the whole COVID-19 thing. It is something that, in our lifetimes, is unprecedented, and in many ways, the combination of modern health care and the severity of this illness are a combination that's completely unprecedented in human history, IMO. Who knows what's best? Certainly not me, and we are all experiencing it in ways that profoundly effect not only our health, but our livelihoods and our ability to live what we'd come to think of as a normal life. Again, speaking just for myself, I do what I'm told, following all the rules to the best of my ability, and exercising my personal judgement when I'm allowed a choice.

May we all come through this, and may our strength help us.

-S-

@Jak Nieuwenhuis, @Anna C,
Personally, I try to give great latitude to everyone in speaking about the whole COVID-19 thing. It is something that, in our lifetimes, is unprecedented, and in many ways, the combination of modern health care and the severity of this illness are a combination that's completely unprecedented in human history, IMO. Who knows what's best? Certainly not me, and we are all experiencing it in ways that profoundly effect not only our health, but our livelihoods and our ability to live what we'd come to think of as a normal life. Again, speaking just for myself, I do what I'm told, following all the rules to the best of my ability, and exercising my personal judgement when I'm allowed a choice.

May we all come through this, and may our strength help us.

-S-

One of the best posts and perspectives that I've read on this. Thanks, @Steve Freides.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom