all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Horse stance with a kettlebell?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Oxydra

Level 2 Valued Member
Based on what I have read, Horse stance without weights is already a great exercise. So if we add weights to it, obviously like a kettlebell, wouldn't it become monstrous exercise?
Also, I am rather concerned about how long could one hold a kettlebell without it leading to injuries? Like would it be safe to maintain a horse stance while holding a 16kg kettlebell (from its horns) for 5 minutes?

An interesting question: what made you curious as to why you would like to load a horse stance using a kettlebell?

An interesting question: what made you curious as to why you would like to load a horse stance using a kettlebell?
Well, based on what I have read the main way of progressing through the horse stance is to keep doing it for longer periods of time. But Personally, I find doing it for more than 5 minutes too cumbersome. So instead I thought of increasing the weight while maintaining the 5-minute goal as a better, or more time-efficient alternative.

What's your goal?

You surely can load the horse stance (I practice something I call Kibadachi goblet squat), but there are a few points of attention.

It is an exercise I have seen in Tom Kurz's books and videos, and I have personally used it in the context of working up to the side split. This is a very specialized exercice in this context, and one that most people don't really need.

If it is about loaded mobility exercice for the hips, a safer option is the cossack squat, in my opinion.

Based on what I have read, Horse stance without weights is already a great exercise. So if we add weights to it, obviously like a kettlebell, wouldn't it become monstrous exercise?
Also, I am rather concerned about how long could one hold a kettlebell without it leading to injuries? Like would it be safe to maintain a horse stance while holding a 16kg kettlebell (from its horns) for 5 minutes?

I'd rather wear a weight vest for this, or perhaps hang a KB, plate, or whatever from a dip belt.

Why?

Arm fatigue vs leg fatigue.

If you're trying to make your legs stronger, you don't want your arm endurance to be the limiting factor.

I think horse stance has its benefits as it is a training stance and can also easily be done in a group environment without any apparatus.
Your question on loading it intrigued me as I've never considered it.
Personally I find it something to be endured as a lactic acid burn test. I've found squatting and S&S improved my horse stance more than adequately to outperform most of my peers.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom