all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Hotel Gym workout

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
Feel free to post any you've done. Here is mine, similar thing yesterday and today:

Bar hang between 40 and 80 seconds.

BW "goblet" squat, hold and pry at bottom, one rep.

1-leg DL with hex dumbbell on the ground (means extra ROM), a few alternating singles each side.

EDIT: forgot to mention I did dumbbell presses after my 1-leg DLs. A few presses, long hold in overhead support position.

Hamstring stretches (foot on something, reach one hand, the other hand, both hands), a few each side.

Cossack sequence, once each way

BW windmill, a couple each way.

Hanging leg raise, a few, hold L-sit for the last one.

-S-

Last edited:
Usually:
  • Bodyweight towel rows, often with a towel wrapped around door knobs and thus with bent knees.
  • Crawling.
  • BW Squats.
  • Touch the wall hinge drill for high reps
  • SF Bridges

Had a chance to develop something like this recently during two weeks spent in a hotel:

HS Plank, 3x20s
L-Sit, 3x7s
Negative-Free Pistol, 5x1
One-Leg Calf Raises, 3x8
One-Leg Glute Ham Raise, 3x10
Baned Row, 3x10
Arms Front Raises with resistant band, 3x10
Box Pike Push-ups, 3x10
Push-ups, 3x20
One-Arm Forearm Plank, 40s
Wrestler's Bridge, 50s
Front Bridge, 50s

Isometrics
2x10s

Bodyweight: Pushups and squats (variations as desired)

If dumbbells/space is available: TGU, presses, 2 arm "skier" swings (DB's to outside of legs), goblet squats, and SLDL

I will also travel with a resistance band to augment BW work.

Mine is:

30 bw squats mixed with prisoner squats. Do a little mobility during the set

5 Single leg deadlift with my luggage

Push ups until they slow down

Repeat 3 -4 times

Hello,

This will be a little bit out of the original post, but on Youtube, Josh Bryant (the owner of the Jailhouse Strong channel) has a playlist called "Hotel workout". Maybe this can give idea.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Been thinking about this recently - how about burpees? Full body power movement, high levels of cardio and strength/strength endurance demands, and no equipment required at all. Can be done metcon style, but also don't see why you couldn't use these in more of an A&A format as a replacement to the KB swing/snatch. Don't even need to leave your hotel room!

If your hotel happens to have a pull-up bar, do a few sets of those to finish.

I have travelled for work off and on (more on) for over 3 decades. I have spent an inordinate amount of time training 'on the road'. As with all training, it comes down to what your goals are and what you are training for.
Some hotel gyms are better equipped than others as well. I have been in ones that have, large DB's, KB's, power racks and Olympic bars. And ones that have a broken treadmill and a bosu ball. And of course ones with no gym at all.
Some hotels have 'deals' with local gyms. Often times I can find a playground close by. (If I'm lucky there could be a climbing gym in town, and I'll train there)

My go-to (no gym) hotel training includes:
  • Naked Warrior Stuff (and similar CC style things)
  • Relax into Stretch / Super Joints / Felxible Steel Stuff
  • Running (you can do that anywhere... even in hotel stairwells...ask @LoriLifts )
I've even been rousted by the cops for doing Tai-Chi in the park....

For when the gym only has 59lb dumbbells:

Bryce Lane/Staley EDT - type bench/incline press with 50lbs dumbbells.

As many reps as possible in 30 minutes.

———
Then pull-ups and dumbbell lunges as necessary.

Probably some curls too since I don’t usually do them.

I spend a lot of time in hotels so have greatly welcomed the great leaps in gym design and equipment over the last 20 years. Where I travel most 4* and 5* hotels now provide at least a range of dumbbells up to 25kg or so plus some machines. Some even have kettlebells (not that I use that newfangled stuff).

The days of the gym being a converted hotel room with two tired old treadmills plus a half deflated bosu ball and solitary sweat stained yoga mat are long gone. Thank heavens!

Dumbbells are all I need for a satisfying one-off full body workout. Whenever the equipment is unfamiliar I'm mindful of injury risk and choose a modest level of resistance and stick to one higher rep set close to failure with just enough exercises to cover the whole body.

Last night I stayed at Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport and they had a complete set of dumbbells plus a barbell bench set up with enough plates to load to 120kg and Smith Machine!!!!!!

Lately for me it's been: GSQ and press medley (bent, overhead, bench) with the dumbbells. Chin-ups. And a run on ye olde treadmill.

There is a chapter in the book Discipline equals Freedom: Field Manual, where Jocko is writing about his workouts when he is on a road.

The only hotel room workouts I've done tend to be sans the hotel gym, as most are pretty useless to begin with.

Isometric routine using hotel towel or a sheet, go for a jog.

Door pullups alternating with dips between chairs;then walk the steps(or crawl up them backwards).

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom