all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Hourly doses of swing

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anders

Level 6 Valued Member

Fabio Zonin had a nice article about how to prevent the negative effects from too much sitting. The article recommends 3 reps each side of 1 h swing, 4 sets, every hour when you are sitting for a longer period of time.

Since I have had a bit of trouble with my forearms I am just curious if the same benefits would be created if you used snatch, push press or clean and jerk ?

I am thinking that at least push, press, clean and jerk would create less strain on the forearms while perhaps giving many of the same benefits as swings.

He also mentioned that it is kind of "GTG", but more organized and focused on power, thus I would pick snatch. Personally, considering Power Push-ups instead of Swings.

Fabio Zonin had a nice article about how to prevent the negative effects from too much sitting. The article recommends 3 reps each side of 1 h swing, 4 sets, every hour when you are sitting for a longer period of time.

Since I have had a bit of trouble with my forearms I am just curious if the same benefits would be created if you used snatch, push press or clean and jerk ?

I am thinking that at least push, press, clean and jerk would create less strain on the forearms while perhaps giving many of the same benefits as swings.
I read the article yesterday. Its a good one that makes you think.

I think the exercise in this circumstance is not that important. Its the act of getting up every hour and doing some powerful movement that doesn't leave you depleted.

In my view all the options you suggested would tick that box assuming the reps are kept low as prescribed and the loading is sensible.

All good choices gentlemen..

It would also depend on your priorities and current movement inventory.

Although I am liking that we now see one version of organized GTG for power...I'd definitely be interested in seeing an organized GTG for endurance

I can imagine the look on everyone’s faces if I brought a kb to work and swung it EHOH. I still sneak off to an empty office sometimes to do the OS resets when I can. Should just hide a KB in there.

Imaging smugling a kettlebell to your office and then dropping the kettlebell on the floor and damaging the floor :) I wonder what your boss would have thought about you then :)

"Original and reckless..."

I can imagine the look on everyone’s faces if I brought a kb to work and swung it EHOH. I still sneak off to an empty office sometimes to do the OS resets when I can. Should just hide a KB in there.

That's the reason I never did it at work/office. But since I have been working from home since March... no problem!

I did this at work yesterday and it was brilliant. Exactly as @Fabio Zonin describes. My job requires very high alertness and these little sessions kept me alert and awake even during the 3 o'clock hour when I'm usually dying for a nap. Depending on equipment at hand I'm thinking a few jump squats would work nicely too.

Although I am liking that we now see one version of organized GTG for power...I'd definitely be interested in seeing an organized GTG for endurance

Yes please!!!

I did this at work yesterday and it was brilliant. Exactly as @Fabio Zonin describes. My job requires very high alertness and these little sessions kept me alert and awake even during the 3 o'clock hour when I'm usually dying for a nap. Depending on equipment at hand I'm thinking a few jump squats would work nicely too.
I did this yesterday too (though I didn't see the article til after lunch, so that's when I started). I found the same and I think I'll add this in as an every day thing except on Fridays for the next couple of weeks, since those are the KBM Heavy days and I REALLY don't want to do anything else on those days. :)

I’m an EMT for a retirement community. Now I’m a lieutenant but when I first started a couple years ago I would have to split a 12 hour shift working at the entrance gate house. In between signing in guests I would do S&S. Every hour I’d do 10 swings and 1 get up or 1 bent press. Numerous times I’d be on the floor doing TGU when a car stops to ask if I’m okay. Eventually I stopped doing TGU and started Bt Pr. It was funny then watching everyone I work with try to lift the 32, now I’ve upgraded to 40kg.

Would it be too many swings if it was combined with S&S? The article mentioned that this protocol shouldn't impact your other training but im wondering whether there its better to use a different exercise if one is doing S&S?

Would it be too many swings if it was combined with S&S? The article mentioned that this protocol shouldn't impact your other training but im wondering whether there its better to use a different exercise if one is doing S&S?
I don't think 4 sets of three would be super impactful to an S&S practice. That said, if you were say, in between bells (adding the 24 to your 16, or the 32 to your 24, etc) I'd probably suggest *either* using the smaller of the two, or maybe using a bell in between those sizes for this hourly practice.

I intend to do it on every day other than Friday (Fridays are just brutal, especially in the second phase, which is what I'm doing now) during my Kettlebell Muscle run, which is considerably higher total load than S&S.

It wouldn't although I would probably use a different move to serve as a balance to your training structure

It wouldn't although I would probably use a different move to serve as a balance to your training structure
I was thinking jumping squats could be a good alternative although the swings have the benefit of zero impact on your joints. Any suggestions for alternatives to balance with S&S?

I was thinking jumping squats could be a good alternative although the swings have the benefit of zero impact on your joints. Any suggestions for alternatives to balance with S&S?

Good question..

What is your short and medium term goal with s and s?

This will help us give better suggestions

Good question..

What is your short and medium term goal with s and s?

This will help us give better suggestions

Current goal is to reach Simple to get a foundation of kettlebell strength, before I branch out into mix of KB and bodyweight (which I know I'll very much enjoy) start having different emphasis at different times (mostly looking at hypertrophy and power). I used to barbell lift prior to covid and now I decided to focus on KB and BW to keep me fit. However, as I'm doing a desk job (from home) I spend quite a lot of time sitting down as the article discussed. I'm not doing any other sports/physical exercise at the moment (until I'm able to do Krav Maga again) and I'm 28 yrs old, 75 kg.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom