all posts post new thread

Kettlebell How can I strengthen my wrists for the snatch?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Matt Piercy

Level 3 Valued Member
I've had problems with my wrist for much of my adult life. Not that I have constant pain or anything like that, but I pull and strain them easily. Things like the snatch, Olympic BB movements, and hitting a heavy bag can (and often does) cause them to strain. The discomfort doesn't usually last, but it does sometimes if I really get it good.wrist wraps are a godsend for me and almost entirely aleviate the issue, most the time. How can I make my wrists stronger and less prone to straining?

Disclaimer: I'm not a trainer nor do I play one on TV.

You might consider bottoms up kettle bell work. Bottoms up work really forces you to keep super tight from your grip to your feet and imho is great for grip/wrist strength.

I also feel like get ups are great for wrist strength also.

2 cents.

Hey Matt,
Snatches should not really cause any more stress on the wrist than swings or get ups. The force pulling on the hand is a little more on the drop of the snatch than it is on the swing, but not that much, and good technique will keep is from being an abrupt jerk. The catch at the top of the snatch is just like holding the bell in the get up. The impact of the bell on the forearm should be negligible (if it's not, it's a form issue, not a wrist issue).

It's not like racking a barbell where your wrist is bent back or like hitting a bag where there the wrist is absorbing an impact.

What specific part of the snatch is causing you a problem?

Holding it above my head.

Do get ups bother you the same way?

If so, are you keeping your wrist straight?

If so, do you find it difficult to maintain a straight wrist?

If get ups don't bother you, can you observe anything different in your snatch lockout compared to your get up lockout?

Bottoms up work will definitely strengthen the grip and wrist. However, the bottoms up grip does require some wrist extension, so if an extended position is problematic for you, bottoms up work might not be the best idea (although that doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a try to see how you tolerate it).

I love bottoms up lifting and clubbell and mace swinging, and find them great for grip, wrist and forearm strength (among many other benefits).

@Steve W., my form is usually pretty good, and my left wrist still bothers me sometimes. For me, it's at the catch of my cleans more than my snatches. I think it's occupationally related in my case - I play double bass and guitar, and the left wrist is often in slight flexion. Things that fire all the muscles help me, sometimes it's even as simple as just making and holding a really tight first for a few seconds. The knuckle pushup works for me for the same reason, I think.

-S-

Hey Steve,
I'm just trying to get a better sense of where the OP's problem lies before suggesting a solution that is more targeted than general suggestions for strengthening the wrists.

I actually had it in my mind to suggest knuckle pushups to the OP, but somehow omitted it from my post.

Getups can bother me, but not always. There's something to do with the momentum of the snatch I think. The best thing I can do is put up a video and go from there. I've also turned wrenches/screw drivers and typed in computers for almost 20 years.

Based on your description, I think a little fine tuning of the catch in your snatches may help. Since wrists are a chronic trouble spot, you'll have to be very careful with your technique, as well as experimenting with supplemental exercises (your original question) and rehab/prehap/mobility techniques to maintain the best function with the least discomfort.

In the snatch, you basically want to eliminate momentum as a factor at the catch. Tame the arc so that you are catching the bell as it is floating. Snatch right to the point of the catch, so the bell is not flying through space when it turns over. It's okay if it's still moving UP a little, but you don't want it moving BACK (and you don't want it stalling out in front either). It definitely takes time and practice to get the bell path and timing grooved.

At the catch, think of moving your hand around the bell while it is floating, not flipping the bell over the hand.

Hope this helps.

Im getting ready to head out soon, but I did a few snatches. My 35 lb'er doesn't really bother it (high reps probably would though) The 24k does. My landing is soft the problem is defiantly afterwords during the hold. My wrist is definitely strait. The pain is caused by the pressure on my forearm and the tension of keeping my wrist straight. It only really affects my right hand to that level, my left is fine

Just a wild guess but considering your mention of screwdrivers and wrenches...deep, focused, trigger point search and eliminate might be helpful. Not only in the wrist and forearm (inner and outer both) but all the way up including lat, and subscapularis, and even delts on that side. Check the other side for balance and to zero everything out.

If this is not the issue, a short single session will tell that and no harm done at all. If it is the issue, one treatment could give a whole lot of noticeable benefit within a day or two after.

I must have glanced over your response originally Steve. That is what happens when you are suppose to be working and sneaking in some SF forum time. ;)

This sometimes helps - pointing the with first two knucles. This helpes not only with keeping the wrist in a good position, but also createsmore tension in forearm.
fist_firsttwo_arrows.jpg

Things like the snatch, Olympic BB movements . . .

Ha. Funny you say that. Right around this time last year I did a few overhead squats "just for fun," having not done them in well over a year. I developed De Quervain's tenosynovitis in my right wrist from it. My sports medicine doctor diagnosed it. To help strengthen things, my coach started having me do a simple movement with lighter bells. It might be another good movement to have in your quiver.

Elbow down on the ground (it helps to kneel down or lay down), bottom of the bell facing away from you, grip the handle and twist it over and back about 10 times, like this. Two sets after each practice for a while helped me quite a bit.

This sometimes helps - pointing the with first two knucles. This helpes not only with keeping the wrist in a good position, but also createsmore tension in forearm.
fist_firsttwo_arrows.jpg

I'll try the knuckle pushup and the punching form too, thank you

If I am interpreting Sasa's and your posts correctly, I think Sasa is referring to the hand position in the lockout with a KB, not when punching.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom