all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed How do I avoid non-functional hypertrophy

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Madboi

Level 2 Valued Member
In beyond bodybuilding, pavel mentioned muscly men not being able 2 do simple presses. How do I avoid this when doing isometrics?

In beyond bodybuilding, pavel mentioned muscly men not being able 2 do simple presses. How do I avoid this when doing isometrics?
That is the absolute last thing you need to worry about generally and even more so with isometrics.

Overcoming Isometrics are NOT a hypertrophic focused protocol. One can gain some mass using them, but other factors need to be accounted for to really gain size. Whatever you DO gain will be ready to go for whatever additional task you assign.

Without knowing the exact quote, I think he was referring to the phenomenon of big guys who primarily train to be big sometimes not being as strong as smaller guys who primarily train for strength.

I’m also in agreement with @North Coast Miller here. Isometrics, like most exercises, aren’t going to magically make you balloon up in a hurry, especially if you’re not eating in a surplus.

Without knowing the exact quote, I think he was referring to the phenomenon of big guys who primarily train to be big sometimes not being as strong as smaller guys who primarily train for strength.

I’m also in agreement with @North Coast Miller here. Isometrics, like most exercises, aren’t going to magically make you balloon up in a hurry, especially if you’re not eating in a surplus.
in my opinion whatever quote this may have been was simply sensationalized nonsense about some obscure people being so big that the couldn't do a simple press. What did they do to get so big they couldn't do a simple press? This type of thing leads to questions like this. If you want to look like a stick figure, don't do anything at all. I don't want to be a bone yard and impress someone with an amazing 32kg KB Press...

450_450__1554974160_arnold.jpg

@Madboi

If you want to get stronger you will build some muscle. They kind of go together. CNS optimization (aka increasing muscle tension) and technique are also important, but getting stronger goes hand in hand with adding lean body tissue (muscle, tendon, bone).

The body adds lean body tissue as a biological adaptive response to being exposed to a stress. Muscle is added as a biological response to the stress of pressing. If you continue to press more and more weight, the body must respond. Technique and CNS adoptions will occur 1st, since they are less costly and easier to acquire, then muscle growth and even bone growth. Obviously, as you progress from being able to press, for 5 reps, the 16 to 24 to 32 to 48 kg Kbell, your body will change to accommodate this added stress. This change will include lean body tissue addition (muscle). The version of you that can press 48kg for 5 reps will have a different arm, different brain, different nervous system VERSUS the version of you that can only press 16kg for 5 reps.

Non-functional hypertrophy seems very unlikely. Because if you don't stress that muscle with excersise, it is unlikely that it will be forced to adapt. I think the phrase "use it or lose it" would be appropriate here. I'm not sure "non-functional muscle" exists. I would love it if you could show me an example.

A lot of Pavel's writing (especially earlier works) really focus on "strength being a skill". To focus on muscle tension and re-wiring the nervous system to use full body tension (vs isolation). It was revolutionary! But that doesn't mean that adding lean body tissue isn't important.

I'm familiar with Pavel's story about muscly men not being able to press an 88 lb (bulldog) KB at an expo (the Arnold, maybe?) If a muscly man struggles to do a press with an 88 lb KB, one must ask "why"? To me, I imagine that this muscular person's muscles are an adaption to stressors he experiences. Possibly even an adaption to muscular endurance (medium weight, high reps, or bodybuilding). These stressors may not be overhead KB presses. ~20 years ago, the KB was novel. Pressing an awkward object with a thick handle and uneven center of mass requires a bit of practice. No matter how strong or muscular somebody is, what % of these folks could press an 88 lb KB on their 1st attempt? I imagine not too many. I started with a 20kg bell, for example, and I had and have more strength and "muscle" than the average person with a background in strength training. But give that person a couple sessions of practice and I would bet he could press the 88 lb KB (40kg) before the less muscly trainee (all other things being equal).

For 99% of the population, fear of gaining too much muscle is likely mis-placed. There are exceptions though. For example, I could imagine that a serious rock climber would not want big, heavy, muscular legs to weigh him down
A rock climber training heavy squats probably doesn't make sense. Or maybe a serious ultra long distance endurance runner would want to keep their body weight in check. An extra 10 lb of muscle may slow them down. Or any sport that has a weight class. Those athletes must sacrifice certain adaptations in order to stay within a certain weight.

What are your goals?

Regards,

Eric

I wouldn't worry too much. If you ever find yourself super jacked and unable to do two presses, just work on the skill of pressing for a bit and you will get a good press.

Also IIRC, that section was talking about Pavel's demo at the Arnold. It was pretty much the first time anyone there had pressed a kettlebell. I think he only had like a 24kg or a 32kg. A weight that pretty much any 200lb lifter can press after a bit of practice.

Hell, I've done so many kettlebell presses (and so few dumbbell presses) that I can barely press the equivalent dumbbell for nearly the same amount of reps.
If you want to get stronger you will build some muscle. They kind of go together. CNS optimization (aka increasing muscle tension) and technique are also important, but getting stronger goes hand in hand with adding lean body tissue (muscle, tendon, bone).
This is pretty much it. Meat moves the machine. Even if all you do is super low reps, eventually your body will start adding muscle or your progress will stop.

IIRC, that section was talking about Pavel's demo at the Arnold. It was pretty much the first time anyone there had pressed a kettlebell. I think he only had like a 24kg or a 32kg. A weight that pretty much any 200lb lifter can press after a bit of practice.

Yep.

32 kg is more or less in the same tier as a 1 plate barbell overhead press, which is pretty noobish for a 200 lb lifter.

I shared this image on the neck thread but its here too. I've been training 33 years and this is as far as I've got. I've been bigger and stronger overall, but I've focused more on neck, traps, upper back, side/rear delts over the past 2 years and I finally sort of look like I train. I wish I was one that it just piled on with ease. You're sure as heck ain't going to get too "muscly" being drug free.IMG_0241.JPG

That is the absolute last thing you need to worry about generally and even more so with isometrics.

Overcoming Isometrics are NOT a hypertrophic focused protocol. One can gain some mass using them, but other factors need to be accounted for to really gain size. Whatever you DO gain will be ready to go for whatever additional task you assign.
Given the users post history, I would be stunned if they meant isometrics and not isolation.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom