all posts post new thread

Kettlebell How do I improve # of reps after I hit 1RM in KB press?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Bayou_Jacob

First Post
Hi. First post here. I discovered Pavel's stuff on KBs six years ago and it worked. I have gained roughly 20 pounds of strength in how much I weigh.

I started with 35lb KB and have since been working with 53lb. I have had a 70lb bell for a while, but I never could press it.

Recently, I incorporated a lot of TGU and I started doing a slight "jerk" when I was trying to press. Then, to my surprise, I did a full KB press with the 70lb bell. I can do it for 1RM multiple times in the day, but I can't do more than 1 rep. What is the best way to improve the amount of reps with the 70lb bell?

Thanks.

Welcome to StrongFirst @Bayou_Jacob! I’ve seen people frequently recommend using the Soju and Tuba program to increase presses. The program suggests using a bell about 2 or 4kg lighter than your 1RM (which in your case is the 32kg/70lb bell) or a bell you can press 2-3x max.

Do you have a 28kg or 30kg kettlebell? If not, are you able to press the 32kg more than once using your legs to assist (like a slow push-press)?

Last edited:
Hi. First post here. I discovered Pavel's stuff on KBs six years ago and it worked. I have gained roughly 20 pounds of strength in how much I weigh.

I started with 35lb KB and have since been working with 53lb. I have had a 70lb bell for a while, but I never could press it.

Recently, I incorporated a lot of TGU and I started doing a slight "jerk" when I was trying to press. Then, to my surprise, I did a full KB press with the 70lb bell. I can do it for 1RM multiple times in the day, but I can't do more than 1 rep. What is the best way to improve the amount of reps with the 70lb bell?

Thanks.

I think you would basically want to gain volume on a KB that is a bit lighter than the 70lb bell. The 53lb bell should suffice.

As your groove improves on the 53lb, the 70lb should become more manageable.

How are you currently programming your presses?

Is pressing the 70lb for multiple reps your main strength goal right now?

I think no matter what you do, so long as you keep pressing your KB's regularly, your reps on the 70lb will improve. That said, SF has a lot of really good press programs in the articles section.

It sounds like a lot of your pressing strength came from TGU as well, so you would want to reconcile that at some point.

☝ This

Getting more volume under your belt with the 24kg will allow you to press more in the long run. Worked for me. I ran through multiple trials of “rite of passage”. Never fails. Tried and true program

Hope this helps

-WF

Welcome to StrongFirst @Bayou_Jacob! I’ve seen people frequently recommend using the Soju and Tuba program to increase presses. The program suggests using a bell about 2 or 4kg lighter than your 1RM (which in your case is the 32kg/70lb bell) or a bell you can press 2-3x max.

Do you have a 28kg or 30kg kettlebell? If not, are you able to press the 32kg more than once using your legs to assist (like a slow push-press)?

Yes. I can do that. Thanks.

There is a segment in the Russian Kettlebell Challenge DVD on this, he gives a few modified press forms to make a too-heavy weight easier to press and a few to make a too-light weight harder to press. E.g. you can push press the heavy weight and then do a slow negative rep.

Keep doing 1 rep a couple of times per day with your bell. In 1-3 weeks, you will likely be able to do 2 reps.

Also, make sure you focus on maintaining tension on the negative. Are you losing tension in the start position of your second rep?

Hi Bayou Jacob,

How much time do you have to devote to your training? That will inform where you want to go with things, but in general you want to be working with sub-maximal weights most of the time (65-85% range). I’d second what Whiskey Fox had to say, more time with the lighter bells will do great things.

The Soju and Tuba plan is not a bad option at all either, but you’ll notice that it doesn’t use your top end bell, and even with a bell that is lighter it’s focusing on low reps and pretty low volume (because the intensity is high - Joey was using almost 90%!).

It’s great that you’ve reached a new peak, but you want to ensure that you consolidate your base before you push on again.

Second what Piers said..

Rather than chase a new peak, consider widening the base..

If you have a 28kg bell, work on turning that into your 8-10rm. From there you will most likely be able to do multiple sets of 1 with the 32kg with a lot less effort than it takes you to press it at the moment

it may not the best choice, but consider to press double bell for few week. i spent last couple months pressing double 2x20 and double 2x25. i tested my MP 2 weeks ago: my left size now can press the 32 4 times ( before that was 2). hope that might help

One idea:
Increase time under tension: Hold the bell longer in the lockout and rack position and build volume with a lighter bell.

One idea:
Increase time under tension: Hold the bell longer in the lockout and rack position and build volume with a lighter bell.

I'll take it up a notch. Once you can hold your lockout for 10 sec replace the holds with OH carries for short distance with your heavy bell. It helped me break the 1 rep barrier with 32kg Bent press a while back.

Thanks.

GTG, with about 70%-80% of your 1RM, 2-3 reps/"set".

A nice variation on the idea of an overhead hold after a set of presses - do a windmill with the weight. Another is a stretch shown in the Pavel's original kettlebell book - in the overhead position, you pulse your shoulder forward rhythmically. It's a very small movement but it can help with a lot of things, including tight shoulders.

-S-

Just a couple of ideas

GtG for sure with a lighter bell

1 press each hand on the min for 10 min with the heavy bell

Slow negatives

Start a pressing session with a couple of presses with the heavy bell then do your reps and sets with the lighter bell

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom