all posts post new thread

Kettlebell How do SFG qualified people train???

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
What do you experts do in your own training? I noticed for the SFG test there are 6 skills, not only two, so I'm guessing you train all 6 and even more?

I realize that S&S (which I'm following religiously these days) is intended as a base programme on top of which it is possible to do other things.

Hello -
I came over here from my normal home on the Bodyweight Forum to say hello to my first home on the Kettlebell forum :) so First HELLO!
In my opinion once you master the SFG movements and increase your baseline of strength then it is fairly easy to maintain them and practice other movements and return to these main movements from time to time.
I personal have been on more of a bodyweight practice for the last few years due to extensive travels and teaching our SFB course and certs.. but I can say that ALL of our SF principles work between all or our modalities. So by training my bodyweight with the same principles I train my kettlebells, I have been able to maintain all kb strength levels and have even PR's some when I return to them from time to time when home for more than a few days.

Master the basics and you will be able to maintained or stay very close proximity when you leave them for a specific goal. When you return you might just be surprised.

Hope to see you all visiting the BW forum soon.

Very interesting, it's like "a press by any other name is still a press". I'd have to wonder what these bodyweight exercise choices are that you are using.

Well, i run now a program with goal of swinging 48kg 200times in 10 min and snatching 32kg x100 in 5
Day one - snatch OTM and TGU work OTM
Day 3- vo2max protocol and continous get ups (without Putina the bell down)
Day 4- SMK test with 40kg (200swings in10 min), 9 sets of kb front squats
Day 5 15 OTM 7/7 oas with the beast then TGU + Windmill heavier weigth 5x1

Just like that, I realize how far I am from real results.....holy crap.

I NEED my rest periods between the later sets of swings, like from 30 or 40 onwards, and I need quite a lot of rest between TGUs.

Hello,

@Kozushi

I think theses two Pavel's articles will interest you, they are about rest ;) :
The Patience of Strength: Rest Intervals
Long Rests: Russian Science to the Rescue

Like you, I need plenty of rest between TGU and even with all strenght moves !

Kind regards,

Pet'
Thank you. This confirms the advice he gives in his books. I used to think hurting myself and exhausting myself were the only ways to become strong, so I gave up on it. With his advice I am getting to be Hercules.

Well, I am only doing 60 swings with 50 lbs, in about 10 minutes. I know you are more experienced than I am, I get that. But, what you have accomplished is amazing to me. I am not feeling sorry for myself, I hope that my posts don't come across in that manner. I am just impressed with your results, & I realize that I am just beginning my journey with kettlebells.

Well, Sir thank you but it is nothing serious if you compare it to real athletes. :) But i got half of my goal done, i ve done 200 swings with 48kg in 10 min :)

Not sure if intended but that 'just a man' reminds me Once Upon the Time in the West movie. I like it.
Great reference, Mirek. Here I am enjoying this thread when a quote from one of my favorite movies pops up. "An ancient race."

This thread is one I've been meaning to ask for a while. The question of what the experts do regularly pops up from time to time within other threads but the responses get buried and difficult to search for. Nice to have them all comment in one handy location. Thanks everyone!

SMK swing 48kg - video, i train them the way you have just read here :)

so on day one I've got 7/7 @ 32kg snatches etc this is program exactly to do that. I felt once day good (3rd week) and i ve attempted this and i did it : )

SMK swing 48kg - video, i train them the way you have just read here :)
Damn!
Your swings don't even look powerful and I mean that in a positiv way, like there's no effort needed to swing the beast.
Nice work.

Edit: How much do you weight? I watched a couple of your clips and you seem "skinny" for a guy who squats 475+ lbs and benches in the 300lbs range :D

Last edited:
Not much different than non SFG people.

I'm in my 3rd week (repeating week 2) of ROP following the workbook with the 32kg. It's rough....

Very interesting, it's like "a press by any other name is still a press". I'd have to wonder what these bodyweight exercise choices are that you are using.

@Kozushi
I regularly perform the bw exercises that we teach at our SFB courses/certs. My favorites are One Arm Pushups, Pullups and SLDL and some times HLR, Pistols and Handstand Push up.

The key principles taught at the SFG are the same at the SFB... Irradiation, Dominata and Feed Forward tension. Once you master your own body and can maintain tension to move your body as one unit for the skills then you will see your strength baseline increase and then when returning your your other modalities (KB, Barbell, etc) you might just be surprised at how much easier they feel.

let me know if you have further BW questions.

@Kozushi
I regularly perform the bw exercises that we teach at our SFB courses/certs. My favorites are One Arm Pushups, Pullups and SLDL and some times HLR, Pistols and Handstand Push up.

The key principles taught at the SFG are the same at the SFB... Irradiation, Dominata and Feed Forward tension. Once you master your own body and can maintain tension to move your body as one unit for the skills then you will see your strength baseline increase and then when returning your your other modalities (KB, Barbell, etc) you might just be surprised at how much easier they feel.

let me know if you have further BW questions.
It would seem that for lifting weights, the weights themselves teach me how I have to lift them, but for bodyweight lifting, I have to teach me, which is much harder.

I couldn't figure out what an SLDL is - Single Leg Dead Lift???

When you write "One Arm Pushup" do you mean One Arm One Leg pushups or with both feet on the ground? I used a scale last week and found that OAOL puhsups loaded 68kg onto my arm whereas One Arm pushups with both feet on the ground loaded a little bit less - 64kg onto my arm, I'd assume the 4kg difference being twisted into my opposite leg.

It would seem that for lifting weights, the weights themselves teach me how I have to lift them, but for bodyweight lifting, I have to teach me, which is much harder.

I couldn't figure out what an SLDL is - Single Leg Dead Lift???

When you write "One Arm Pushup" do you mean One Arm One Leg pushups or with both feet on the ground? I used a scale last week and found that OAOL puhsups loaded 68kg onto my arm whereas One Arm pushups with both feet on the ground loaded a little bit less - 64kg onto my arm, I'd assume the 4kg difference being twisted into my opposite leg.

yes SLDL is single leg dead lifts.
And OAPU is one arm both legs but I also work progressions for OAOLPU which is the one arm/one leg (I just don't have a full rep yet, so progressions to own it first)

Damn!
Your swings don't even look powerful and I mean that in a positiv way, like there's no effort needed to swing the beast.
Nice work.

Edit: How much do you weight? I watched a couple of your clips and you seem "skinny" for a guy who squats 475+ lbs and benches in the 300lbs range :D
Well i am blushing right now, powerlifting times i was in 100kg range, right now i am 10 kg less and i use mostly KB for training, i am 1m 93cm tall and not too muscular, @Anna C thank you very much !
I will come back to barbell a bit for TSC

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom