all posts post new thread

Nutrition How do you deal with metabolism-hunger?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Iversen

Level 1 Valued Member
Hey fellas,

So this is a weird one. In the last 18 months I've bulked and cutted once each. Currently in more of a maintenance phase.

No matter what I've done, calories and macros wise I've always ended up hungry at night. I don't even think it's just boredom, as I know that's what it can be some of the time. Instead I literally feel so hungry that it hurts if I don't have something.

I've always had a weird metabolism and the more frequently I eat the more this seems to happen. A few years ago I wasn't taking care of myself at all and would eat maybe twice a day and never had this issue.

How do you guys handle the effects of a much faster metabolism when you're eating more frequently? Any specific tips?

I usually keep a protein shake on hand ready to go. My first few meals are usually just shakes than solid food. I get my protein in and keep my calories low. Usually later in the day I get in veggies, fats and a bit more protein.

For me, keeping my insulin load low in the late afternoon/evening helps me to maintain discipline with night eating. So does brushing and flossing my teeth. I'm also guessing some people do just fine eating late or going to sleep with food in the system.
Act-Learn-Refine-Repeat.

@Iversen, have you tried the Warrior Diet or other varieties of Intermittent Fasting? The way to get used to eating less is eating less; the way to get used to eating less often is to eat less often. The devil is in the dose.

-S-
I tried a form of intermittent fasting years ago, it might be time to try it again! Cheers!

I tried a form of intermittent fasting years ago, it might be time to try it again! Cheers!
I highly recommend easing into IF. I tried it one day a week, then two, then Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri, and eventually all the time but took a few months to get that far.

-S-

Hofmekler was several years ahead of the IF and restricted window eating curve with his Warrior Diet books. They are a more natural style of eating, in my opinion, and have worked well for many of my students as well as myself.

i love dr. jason fung. to phrase his work slightly differently , there is not a very specific limit to the days you're eating. just eat what you would eat with some preemptive limitation on carbs. i have found that the best lever of control on my hunger is steak and eggs. the more the better.

Make protein the star of meal time and watch the hunger wane.
My easiest attempt at managing hunger is eating more steak and ground beef to crowd out the appetite for other things.

everything else , tactically speaking, is mind games which - hope that they make it though the day, without bumping into delicious muffins. but i have never had an easier time saying no to the things i shouldn't eat, than by loading up on the red meat. i don't really have a lot of scratch, but what has been working for me in real life, with kids, and a mortgage, is to buy it on sale and freeze it for later. thaw it in the fridge and rotate out one, or two, 1lbs servings every day, or so . with that i'm into it for a bout 5-10 dollars a day in food. I don't really eat anything else right now, and the wife gets worried so she makes me take a multi vitamin sometimes.

this is the easiest time I've had managing my hunger, and I've experienced very difficult bouts with hunger, in the past. there's definitely that can get deranged with my appetite.

all my best.

Just stumbled across some of Mike Israetel's stuff and he has a pretty novel approach of running the maintenance phase until you no longer have those hunger responses and reset your "set" point with your body. His ted talk is very enlightening about the science behind nutrition and healthy eating. I'd highly recommend looking into his stuff.

I've felt way better cutting weight this time around than when I did eat stop eat, keto, paleo, IFFYM, IF, and all that.

Might be a result of high/low blood sugar? Although from what I remember it's more on waking up really hungry in the morning. Also, dehydration? As others have already mentioned, IF can be a good way to train yourself to eat less and curb hunger pangs. There is also some so-called natural help in the form of herbals... according to this, at least this helps in controlling hunger by increasing serotonin which translates to less appetite. According to the NCCIH though, more recent and reliable research is needed to prove its effectiveness.

Hey fellas,

So this is a weird one. In the last 18 months I've bulked and cutted once each. Currently in more of a maintenance phase.

No matter what I've done, calories and macros wise I've always ended up hungry at night. I don't even think it's just boredom, as I know that's what it can be some of the time. Instead I literally feel so hungry that it hurts if I don't have something.

I've always had a weird metabolism and the more frequently I eat the more this seems to happen. A few years ago I wasn't taking care of myself at all and would eat maybe twice a day and never had this issue.

How do you guys handle the effects of a much faster metabolism when you're eating more frequently? Any specific tips?
Try a tablespoon of Bulletproof Brain Octane once or twice a day.

I drink enough water, eat fiber-rich foods and enough proteins which increases the feeling of fullness , due to which I eat less.
For me, eating fat is what satisfies. Eating the cheese off a piece of pizza, even eating the icing and leaving the cake behind. Having a little bread with my butter rather than the other way around. :) Whole milk ricotta cheese with a little honey stirred in, and a spoon of olive oil to help everything mix together more easily.

-S-

I'm not sure if this is comparable but when I get really hungry during longer periods of IF, I usually drink a cup of warm homemade bone broth. According to Dr. Fung it doesnt break the fast and it does the trick for me. It doesnt happen too often, but sometimes if my last meal before the fast wasnt balanced.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom