all posts post new thread

Old Forum How do you guys over 50 feel?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I think it takes a lot of wisdom to know that "enough is enough" and even a lot more to teach "just enough" in the face of popular lemmings and market pressure to teach "more is better" without limit.

The original question dealt with how you feel now as you work out as compared to when you were younger.  I would say that overall, in regards to workouts, I feel better now than I did 15 or 20 years ago.  I will be 72 in September.  I retired almost 5 years ago.  I have had a long term interest in exercising and got a CPT and corrective exercise certification in 2012.  My main source of workouts for the last 2 – 3 years have been Craig Ballantynes Turbulence Training.  Initially a lot of resistance training but over the last year mostly bodyweight routines.  I only recently discovered kettlebells and over last 3 months have been taking a class 2 times a week with an excellent SFG II instructor.  Generally do a bodyweight workout 3 times per week.

In retrospect, I feel some of the factors contributing to me feeling good at this point are:

1-decrease in stress from work since retired and ability to do regular work outs.

2- improved nutrition with emphasis on plant based food selections and 25 lb weight loss

3- a spouse of 40+ years who takes good care of me

You are fortunate if you reach your senior years without too much damage.  In my case L4-L5 disc herniation, shoulder impingement and left knee tendon issue.  I suspect my issues are pretty much the norm.

In regards to how I feel I should look at the age issue I was interested in the comment Pavel made in his S&S book…”The S&S challenge does not offer any breaks for bodyweight or age……The way I see it , if you get into a street fight, you will not have the luxury of stepping on a scale or showing your drivers license.”

I recall reading about a gentleman doing rehab for a spinal cord injury.  Many around him marveled at his positive attitude and he was asked how he could be so upbeat in the face of such a devastating injury.  His response (my paraphrase) was that the way he looked at it, prior to his injury he could do about 10,000 things. Now he figured he could do about 1000 things.  His intention was to be the best he could be at those 1000.  I think that could have some application to the approach we may take as we age in regard to our approach to our workouts and physical conditioning.

Don, your inspiring words were right on time. I feel good with the trading, but since I've started giving serious attention to my deficiencies, I was feeling a bit discouraged. 72! I'm hoping that when I retire, if I can ever afford it, that it will do that for me.
Dave

I say it speaks highly of you that you are working on your deficiencies, where as a lot of people like to continue to work on their strengths because it makes them comfortable.  In the long term I suspect it will pay big dividends for you.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom