all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed How do you practice diaphragmatic breathing, breathing too often problem

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I hope this isn't out of scope for this thread but I've been wondering for a while. The left side of my diaphragm is paralyzed due to a sloppy surgeon many years ago and I wasn't sure how that affects the whole breathe from the diaphragm thing? I sometimes try breathing practice but it just increases my anxiety.

I suspect your most powerful source of information on your particular case is going to be your own experimentation.

You have to breathe anyway, so it's not like we can advise you to stop breathing until you ask your doctor ;) .

My suggestion would be to try breathing practice but don't go at it very hard... just take a very easy, mild approach, and see if you get any positive results.

Why not? Seems to me you would want to deliberately practice doing something you want to move towards doing automatically, whether lifting, breathing, posture, positive thought, etc...

Isn't what you describe here pretty much "schooling your breath"?

Yes, and the slight difference is just between working on something directly vs indirectly.

The body tends to breathe in a certain way for a reason. The same way it tends to move in a certain way due to movement patterns, dysfunctions, etc. If those underlying reasons for faulty movement go unaddressed, you can try to perform a pattern, load that pattern, gain strength in it, but after a while, the problems tend to pop up. But if you fix them, they allow correct movement. It's similar with breathing.

Yes, and the slight difference is just between working on something directly vs indirectly.

That makes sense. Removing obstacles to good breathing and re-finding the natural tendencies rather than "forcing" a correct pattern... I can see the value in that.

You could take something like one to three conscious diaphramic breaths every once in a while during your day, directing all your focus to those breaths. Repeat this throughout the day. Eckhart Tolle calls this ”micro-meditation”, as you also have a moment of no conceptual thinking.

You could take something like one to three conscious diaphramic breaths every once in a while during your day, directing all your focus to those breaths. Repeat this throughout the day. Eckhart Tolle calls this ”micro-meditation”, as you also have a moment of no conceptual thinking.

Yes, I am doing that when there are brief pauses or I change movements whenever I remember. Like the Alexander method to try to be conscious of the unconscious so to speak.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom