all posts post new thread

Kettlebell How do you program Kettlebells and Barbells?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Great thread!

Obviously it depends on the goal but for a student who's baseline strength isn't where I'd like it to be I work some kind of Pull/Push/Squat which generally turns into something with barbell dead lifts, kettlebell presses (if they can go overhead safely) and barbell or kettlebell front squats. (I like the KB front squats because you can do a lot of work with less weight and the ab requirement is pretty brutal.)

I realize the DL is a "lower body pull" but to me it's the most important lift so we do it a lot. I'll add some "supplemental / time remaining" work with upper body pulls like pull ups (if the person can do 5-10) or bent over rows if they can't.

I typically put the bulk of the volume in the area where the person is the weakest but sometimes not. Variability is adaptation's best friend.

In terms of reps/sets, I keep the majority of the volume in the 75-80% of 1RM range with occasionally heavier and lighter days. I often use an Easy Strength approach for newer students and I always use PlanStrong for my experienced lifters. (Experienced = 2x bw dead lift, 1.5 bw front squat, 0.5 bw press preferred but I'll consider one size down from this acceptable.)

Stay strong, my friends!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom