all posts post new thread

Kettlebell How does this happen? 40k get up out of nowhere with almost no practice...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anth

Level 4 Valued Member
After about 5 months of Geoffrey Neupert's kettlebell WOD (5 days a week), I decided to take a break from the grind and only do kettlebells 2 days a week (Dan John style).

A few weeks in, I did a 40k TGU with ease. I've done it before but it was very shakey and probably a dangerous waste of time. This time, it felt like the 32, which I feel pretty comfortable and strong with. I'd been doing mostly double carries and double clean and jerks twice a week. I added TGU's recently.
(I've been doing TGU's for years. I've done a lot of them, but I hadn't done one for probably a month).

How did this happen? Why? Can anyone explain the principle behind this? Anyone ever have a similar experience? Would there be a benefit in doing these heavy TGU's only one day a week?

LESS IS MORE
I will say - maximal performance derived from some lower capacity training surprised me on one occasion most of all.

I had an experience with working on getting into the army's new leg tuck, a physical test requirement.
- the leg tuck is where you pull up some and get your knees or thighs to touch your elbows.

I trained singles. 3-5 singles. 2-5 times a week for about 6 weeks. I was terrified that it wouldn't work out on test day. on my first attempt on a test day, I got 6 reps. I never did one set of multiple reps. not once.

But, come test day, when I put some oomph into it, I got a raw score of 6 reps in the leg tuck at around 225 lbs with biceps that could barely ever chin up to a bar once, solidly. but for what I was training for, I got way more than I expected.

I YAM WHAT I YAM
I can barely do one chin-up and not in accordance with any standard. just all out I can kinda get my chin to the bar once. And, to hammer home the point of how my biceps were not so developed: after this test, when I gained weight from barbell training, I lost all my pull-ups/chin-ups; I was back to 0. I was (am) on the edge of chin-ups.

THE MINIMUM DOSE
as far as I can tell - the minimum dose - to get you stronger than you were, is actually a lot smaller than pop fitness had me believing some time ago.

as I learned from a couple of barbell cycles: just 10 reps a day, is very good medicine.

so, after overreaching a couple of times, after burning out, I play my hand a little closer to the vest than I have to (maybe).
I try to punch the clock, and put in the work.
and I try to make sure I'm getting more than I give, every session.

P.S.
also - small sets of 3-5 presses while I was still primarily practicing S&S, helped a lot with my stability in the getup, and made that tiny part of my life a lot easier.

Last edited:
After about 5 months of Geoffrey Neupert's kettlebell WOD (5 days a week), I decided to take a break from the grind and only do kettlebells 2 days a week (Dan John style).

A few weeks in, I did a 40k TGU with ease. I've done it before but it was very shakey and probably a dangerous waste of time. This time, it felt like the 32, which I feel pretty comfortable and strong with. I'd been doing mostly double carries and double clean and jerks twice a week. I added TGU's recently.
(I've been doing TGU's for years. I've done a lot of them, but I hadn't done one for probably a month).

How did this happen? Why? Can anyone explain the principle behind this? Anyone ever have a similar experience? Would there be a benefit in doing these heavy TGU's only one day a week?
I did nothing but dbl clean and press for most of this year and just moved from 24 to 28 getup without doing many getups. I was stuck on 24 for a while. That was a few weeks ago and this morning I just did 5 each side comfortably. I swear dbl clean and press makes everything stronger, especially upper back. The dbl carries and clean and jerks probably did similar for you

My double kb squats also felt much more rock solid after all that C&P. It’s for me, a bread and butter exercise.

5 months of 5 days a week gained some strength and then you took a break training 2 days a week.
Sounds like you had some recovery time that may have helped. Something less stressful and perhaps enjoyable.

=2cents

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom