all posts post new thread

Barbell How Effective is PTTP (Power to the People) For Intermediate Lifters?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

TheEnthusiast90

Level 5 Valued Member
How effective is PTTP (Pavel Tsatsouline's Power to the People) for intermediate lifters? I know the answer should be to find out, and I intend to, but I'm currently in need of a program that doesn't make my IBS-D flare up. I have post-infectious (battled E. Histolytica for a year) IBS flare-ups that I deal with on a regular basis, and I've only recently obtained medications allowing me to get back to weightlifting - their intent is to stop the rampant diarrhea and cramping induced by anything I do.

This means that I can't eat to gain weight or put any additional stressors on my stomach from now until probably forever, and with that being said I still want to get stronger. I walk around at 180 pounds and consume an average of maybe 2500 calories/day over the course of a week - sometimes a lot less, sometimes more (to my chagrin, because my stomach decides to erupt). I eat clean foods, no junk food aside from the occasional bag of Chex Mix or potato chips, no dairy products, no candies, no processed bullshit 9 times out of 10. Eggs, potatoes, toast, chicken, peanut butter, some veggies, rice, bananas, and just a little black coffee comprise my diet.

My current PRs include a 275 x 15 Back Squat set I performed a few months ago and a Deadlift set of 345 x 12 that I performed the day before yesterday, and my performances are often all over the place depending on my stomach and therefore my health/energy levels. My best OHP set is 130 x 10, and I don't bench because my left wrist is probably weak and I don't trust the exercise besides. Sorry for the ramble.

The point I'm trying to convey here is that I'm not just starting out, but I have been facing a lot of obstacles throughout the 4 years I've been lifting. Not that it matters a bit, but for the purpose of giving it a label I'd call myself a low-intermediate lifter. With my current strength level and circumstances (I do have my own barbell and plates, I'm not going to the gym), would the community be able to make a judgment on the efficacy of PTTP for someone like me? I'm drawn to it because it isn't incredibly intensive (in my experience, exercise-induced IBS is a thing) and I feel as though taking it a bit easier might be necessary for me right now. I'm wondering if this is the right program for me. Thanks for your input.

Cheers,

- TheEnthusiast90

@TheEnthusiast90, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

How effective is PTTP (Pavel Tsatsouline's Power to the People) for intermediate lifters? I know the answer should be to find out, and I intend to ...
Frequent, moderately heavy lifting focus on improvements in skill and not muscle. It is effective for multiple cycles across months and even years for new lifters, but it can be equally effective for a cycle or two as a change for other kinds of lifting programs for an intermediate or even advanced lifter.

I'm currently in need of a program that doesn't make my IBS-D flare up. I have post-infectious (battled E. Histolytica for a year) IBS flare-ups that I deal with on a regular basis
This isn't a question for our barbell forum - perhaps for our diet forum, but perhaps better for a medical professional of some sort, likely a dietician with experience in the area of your problem.

With my current strength level and circumstances (I do have my own barbell and plates, I'm not going to the gym), would the community be able to make a judgment on the efficacy of PTTP for someone like me?
If you haven't done PTTP before, it's reasonable to predict it will be a success for you. We can't make a judgement, however, only a prediction, a best guess.

-S-

PTTP is a great program. It's worth trying it out. I would recommend starting out lifting very light weights and slowly building up, even if it feels ridiculously light the 1st few workouts.

I also recommend replacing the side press with the bench press. However, if you disagree, that's fine, the side press is still a good exercise.

PTTP is flexible. So, for example, if you plan on lifting Wednesday, and you are feeling ill, you have 2 options: (1) Just delay until Thursday or Friday, (2) Or lift Wednesday and just go really really really light and focus on technique.

Regards,

Eric

PTTP is a great program. It's worth trying it out. I would recommend starting out lifting very light weights and slowly building up, even if it feels ridiculously light the 1st few workouts.

I also recommend replacing the side press with the bench press. However, if you disagree, that's fine, the side press is still a good exercise.

PTTP is flexible. So, for example, if you plan on lifting Wednesday, and you are feeling ill, you have 2 options: (1) Just delay until Thursday or Friday, (2) Or lift Wednesday and just go really really really light and focus on technique.

Regards,

Eric

Thank you for offering your input and opinion on the program, I've decided I'm going to start it today. Probably going to start with lighter weights to give myself a running start too.

@TheEnthusiast90, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

Frequent, moderately heavy lifting focus on improvements in skill and not muscle. It is effective for multiple cycles across months and even years for new lifters, but it can be equally effective for a cycle or two as a change for other kinds of lifting programs for an intermediate or even advanced lifter.

This isn't a question for our barbell forum - perhaps for our diet forum, but perhaps better for a medical professional of some sort, likely a dietician with experience in the area of your problem.

If you haven't done PTTP before, it's reasonable to predict it will be a success for you. We can't make a judgement, however, only a prediction, a best guess.

-S-

Hi, thanks for the response. I'm motivated to try it based on everything I've heard about it here, I will definitely report back with the results.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom