all posts post new thread

Barbell How far have you milked PttP?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Alan Mackey

Level 7 Valued Member
At what point did you realize you needed another approach? Did you use linear, step or wave cycles? What was your lift:bodyweight ratios for your lifts?

I worked up to 425lbs at 5'10"/185lbs BW (and 465 on trap bar), using mainly structured wave cycles (4 steps forward, 3 steps back). Then I got more into KBs and haven't tried to progress my DL past that.

I don't think I ever really needed another approach, but did have to make adjustments in how I structured my cycles as I progressed.

I worked up to 425lbs at 5'10"/185lbs BW (and 465 on trap bar), using mainly structured wave cycles (4 steps forward, 3 steps back). Then I got more into KBs and haven't tried to progress my DL past that.

I don't think I ever really needed another approach, but did have to make adjustments in how I structured my cycles as I progressed.

Wow! That's a little over 2.2xbw. Kudos!

What kind of adjustments did you make?

What kind of adjustments did you make?

Earlier on, I could use small jumps between sessions and end each cycle with a new max. This meant I was doing a lot of sessions at a relatively high percent of my max and there was not a lot of waviness from session to session, even with a "wave" cycle. As my max got higher, this became a problem. If I started a cycle at relatively easy weights, the cycles ended up very drawn out, with a lot of easy sessions early on, and a death march of hard sessions at the end.

Using bigger jumps between sessions in each wave, and smaller jumps from start of one wave to the next, created a much wavier rhythm of easy, medium and harder sessions within each wave and each cycle.

I also did a lot more back cycling before trying for a new max, rather than feeling I had to end each cycle with a PR.

I didn't milk mine too much. I set my goal for double body weight for my first set and I easily attained that goal. I had to work my lifting around my work schedule. I work half the week 2-10 and the other half is 6-2 (Very little sleep sometimes). I planned to wave the weights up in down, but ended up stair stepping frequently due to only getting a 4 to 5 hours of sleep. I also found that jumps of 10 to 15 lbs to be less mentally taxing. Occasionally I had to repeat a wave or stay at the same weight for several days due life's little quirks. I think PttP is very flexible and it is possible to make decent progress not matter how you go about it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom