all posts post new thread

Kettlebell How heavy a kettlebell to build muscle?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I would consider buying another 16kg but would prefer a weight that would stay challenging for awhile and help with building muscle.
I guess it depends on your strength level. Have you done any other strength training, like barbell lifting?

Pavel Brand kettlebells
From my knowledge, there is no “Pavel” brand kettlebells. The one’s sold here are Perform Better brand kettlebells and I have no experience with them. But I would assume they are used in the majority (if not all) of their certification courses. So they can’t be too bad.

The question I would be asking myself is... “have I corrected my form issues?” You said you screwed your back up with a 16kg and poor technique so you bought an 8k. What I’m getting at is you can have poor technique with a 8kg and never realize it because it’s so light. You can get away with it with light weight but moving up to a 24kg is just asking for more trouble if your form isn’t spot on. You should’ve kept that 16kg imo. Might want to post a form video before deciding.

Greetings @Hasbro, this is a very good point and am thankful you brought this up. It is worth considering revisiting 16kg to ensure proper technique. Best,

I guess it depends on your strength level. Have you done any other strength training, like barbell lifting?

From my knowledge, there is no “Pavel” brand kettlebells. The one’s sold here are Perform Better brand kettlebells and I have no experience with them. But I would assume they are used in the majority (if not all) of their certification courses. So they can’t be too bad.

@SuperGirevik I've worked with both heavy resistance bands and suspension training in the past though both resulted in unusual shoulder pain, which has since vanished using the kettlebell so I would like to continue with this instead. I stand corrected, I was unaware the "PB" stood for Perform Better and assumed the initials were related to Pavel. Is there a story behind why Strong First has affiliated themselves with Perform Better and not the other brands several of you suggested? Best,

Lastly, I was browsing through older threads and came across this regarding development with the 32kg. Basically, what I would like to know is if using a 24kg can deliver the same results. Best,

Body Comp Changes S&S, Simple Goal? [32kg men]

Excellent suggestions above. I would add the following.
0. Completely ignore what bells other are using. Completely ignore what bell they started with too. You do you.
1. Get some instruction in the swing, snatch, press and TGU.
2. Get the 16k bell. You'll probably master the two hand swing with it very quickly. Then start working in one hand swings. Once these are easy, start working in the snatch once a week. While your doing this with your 16kb, start working the TGU with the 8k.
3. Also, start working on pressing the 16k. Once this becomes too easy, transition to the bottoms-up press. Work the BU press until it is mastered. Between the one arm swings/snatches and the BU press your grip will be much improved, even with the 16k bell.
4. Once you're close to owning one arm swings, snatches and bottoms-up presses with the 16k and TGUs with either bell, buy your 24k. Keep your 16k and 8k bells. Never sell a KB. :)
5. Repeat the above with the 24k for ballistics and presses, the 16k for TGU.

I'd add goblet squats and eventually KB front squats with the bells at hand to round out the strength goals.

I personally think that you can get a lot of mileage out of a 16k. Yes two handed swings will become easy fairly quickly but working up to snatches, BU presses and the TGU will take you while and build the strength and conditioning needed to safely tackle the 24k. Fix your diet and the snatches will help you burn off the fat.

You already hurt your back once. You get weak and flabby very fast when you can't train at all. Check your ego at the door, grab a 16k and own that sucker.

Building muscle takes time. Enjoy the journey.

I'm no kettlebell expert or very knowledgeable in programs but I believe everyone's training needs are different at different stages in there life depending on what they have been doing, I myself am going backwards for hypertrophy, I can press a 36kg for 5 quite strict but with body English and 2x24kgs for 10+ very strict, I don't like using body English on lower weights when failing as it feels more dangerous, for me I feel the lower back pain directly on say 12 or 13 reps double 24 compared to struggling on the 5th with a 36kg but on the 36kg I don't feel the niggle during the lift. I'm waiting on receiving 2x16kg for my hypertrophy work, going against the grain for high volume low rest work due to some great gains I received at start of lockdown, I gave up on 5 sets of push ups to failure to 30 minutes of 10 push ups every minute on the minute, my recovery became so good I switched my emom app to amrap and was knocking out 50 sets of 10 in the 30 minutes, the only push up variation I do is diamonds after watching hannibal for King do an interview over 10 years ago and saying I want those triceps, 500 diamonds in 30 minutes, I did however switch up to 30 minute emoms with double 24s just 5 reps a minute and when I went back to the push ups I lost all my recovery and some strength so after over 20 years of training I now understand the importance of sticking with a program till the end otherwise yo are wasting your time, anyway sorry what I was meaning to say is I believe ill gain more hypertrophy when I get my lighter bells by doing 20 to 30 sets of sY 10 or 15 rep presses with minimum rest as long as I stay consistent, I also train everyday 7 days a week at 5am

The question I would be asking myself is... “have I corrected my form issues?” You said you screwed your back up with a 16kg and poor technique so you bought an 8k. What I’m getting at is you can have poor technique with a 8kg and never realize it because it’s so light. You can get away with it with light weight but moving up to a 24kg is just asking for more trouble if your form isn’t spot on. You should’ve kept that 16kg imo. Might want to post a form video before deciding.
I feel that. When I started S and S I was doing getups with the 16 and I realized my form was wonky cause I could have the bell way off balance but still be able to hold it up in the air. The 24 corrected that IMMEDIATELY :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom