all posts post new thread

Kettlebell How Heavy?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Mrflyfish5

Level 2 Valued Member
I am pretty new to kettlebells, but I have 30ish years of strength training. I usually spend the winter trying to get as strong as possible with weighted pull-up as focus. This year I’m going to push TGU and single arm swings. I bought a 40 and 48k bell. First try I’m good on the 40, I’m pretty sure the 48 won’t be heavy enough for the 10 min EMOM. But my question to the group is what bell is usually the max for strength work for an average person. The problem is those big bells are expensive and worse to ship.

Well, the average person doesn't have 30 years of strength training.

24 kg seems to be the sweet spot for a lot of relatively newish typical sized males.

Personally, if I'm doing strength work, I prefer double KBs, but I've been doing resistance training for 35 years or so.

2x24,2x28,2x32 are the bread and butter zone of what I use when not using a barbell.

Sorry if that came across wrong, just wanted to be prepared to buy the bigger bells if I need them. I guess I meant average genetics not training age. The forearm pressure from the 24 and 32 is freaking horrible even with kettle guards, so I probably won’t go into the dynamic lifts other than swings.

You’re definitely not average at that weight. That’s impressive that it’s your easy weight! What’s your body weight?
As you know from your 30 years of experience, there are so many variables in that question.
I’m 170cm tall and weigh 63kg, and my normal max right now is 32kg. I don’t think that’s average at all for my size.
I think a good starting guide for the max as an average is the snatch test weight + one or two KB sizes, but I know others on here will probably have an even better thought.

I am pretty new to kettlebells, but I have 30ish years of strength training. I usually spend the winter trying to get as strong as possible with weighted pull-up as focus. This year I’m going to push TGU and single arm swings. I bought a 40 and 48k bell. First try I’m good on the 40, I’m pretty sure the 48 won’t be heavy enough for the 10 min EMOM. But my question to the group is what bell is usually the max for strength work for an average person. The problem is those big bells are expensive and worse to ship.
Go for Sinister and Beast Tamer double. Rare air. Also, IMO, and as others have mentioned, 24KG is ave. bell.

It would probablybe cheaper to get a barbell kit and do deadlifts. Or a T handle and plates for swings Versus buying several bells north of 48 kg.

Actively pull the bell back towards you on the eccentric portion of the swing. Called "shadow swings". Proficient trainees have demonstrated 500 lb of force with only an 53 lb KB.

Welcome to the StrongFirst forum, @Mrflyfish5.

If you haven't done so already, I highly recommend working with a StrongFirst Certified Instructor in person or online, or posting a video of your swings and getups here for some feedback.

-S-

Thank you for the feedback, I will work with the bells I have. I’m 5’11, 180-185 during hunting and climbing seasons, up to 200 late winter (power lifting and creatined up). 44 candles on the birthday cake.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom