all posts post new thread

Off-Topic How I healed my knee pain

joemac

Level 3 Valued Member
Hi.

I am making this post not as a question but as a "public service". After 2 years of effort I was able to resolve my knee pain and I wanted to share this information with anyone in case it can help others. I struggled greatly with this issue and hope to help others.

Two years ago I fell in love with kettlebells and immediately began training swings, getups, and goblet squats. From the very beginning I developed pain in both knees, but particularly the right knee. At the time I thought it was about my bad form, but I have since speculated that it was due to something previous from before kettlebells, but I don't know what.

At first I worked through the pain but it eventually got so bad that I could barely walk up the stairs. So I had to stop and do a combination of rehab through exercises recommended by a good physical therapist friend. I also implemented the "Knees Over Toes Guy's" program for knee health.

After 6 months away from kettlebells I returned but soon the issue came back and I had to stop again to do more rehab.

The pain had two dimensions, with the right knee pain much much worse than left knee:
  1. Sometimes when I put too much pressure on the knee I would feel a "lightning stabbing" pain that would immediately halt any activity
  2. Even when #1 didn't exist, any movement of my legs would involve a general "inflamed" sensation in my knees, as if someone had place a fire pit below them and was heating them up.
Neither the physical therapy or Knees Over Toes program seemed to fundamentally solve the problem of not being able to do getups, though they did make it somewhat better. The solution to each of the above two pains came completely unexpectedly.

Due to emotional issues, I traveled for 2 weeks to South America to perform the psychedelic medicine "Ayahuasca". I came only for emotional and spiritual reasons, but to my astonishment the medicine healed both my body and mind. It affected my body in a number of ways, but the most striking was that after only 2 sessions of the medicine that the #1 "lightning stabbing" pain disappeared completely and has never come back!

But the #2 pain remained and I could not figure it out. A year later, I was reviewing the Knees Over Toes program. One of his fundamental "knee health" exercises is the Hamstring Curl. But I had intentionally chosen never to do it because by my reasoning it looked silly and was totally irrelevant to my needs.

But one Sunday I decided to try it out after watching another friendly gym-goer do it. In 2 minutes I did 3 sets of 5. The next day I woke up with a tensions in my hamstrings I had never felt before, and particularly the right. And I felt it all the way through the end of the Thursday for a total of 4 days straight. But the amazing thing was that all of the remaining #2 pain was gone, as if healing had washed over my knees.

I now do Hamstring Curls regularly, my knees still have some pain, but are improving regularly, and I can do getups with pretty much no problem. My theory is that the Hamstring Curls basically activated my hamstring muscles which apparently I had not been really using, and so some layer of protection to the knees was added.

I hope this is of use to someone out there.

That is interesting and it makes me wonder if my shoulder impingement can be “cured” by a strength exercise that would help with an imbalance I may or may not have.

Same goes for any other joint…

My theory is that the Hamstring Curls basically activated my hamstring muscles which apparently I had not been really using, and so some layer of protection to the knees was added.

I'm actually the exact opposite.

I'm posterior dominant / pulling dominant (both in weightlifting and rowing), so when I do lots of KB swings, my butt and hamstrings do most of the work.

I'll get knee issues after a while I don't balance that out with enough quad work -- lunges, squats.

Thanks for sharing @joemac

I've had a number of aches and pains improve with the correct application of physical therapy or finding the right exercise.

Back
Top Bottom