all posts post new thread

Kettlebell How long can you run Q&D?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Dayz

Level 8 Valued Member
Pretty much just the thread title. I'm mapping out my training for 2021 and trying to work out how long we can run Q&D? Can it be run indefinitely or just for shorter blocks?

I can't remember if this is addressed in the book?

I think I recall reading that Pavel recommends 6 week cycles of Q&D then alternating to A+A for 6 weeks and so on.

One can also train train them concurrently and I would opt for a 2:1 ratio between A+A:Q&D.
ah! I never thought about running them concurrently. Is there anywhere i can read about that? I also don't recall it being mentioned in the book =/

@Dayz
I don't think it is in the book anywhere. I have been doing it with different ratios for over a year though and find that they enhance each other similar to daily undulating programming/periodization (DUP). DUP is fairly well documented as a successful method of programming.

S&S, Q&D, and A+A, can be rotated through analogous to strength, hypertrophy, and power days which work for many powerlifters and strength athletes. I would consider the three programs to be a form of specialized variety. They are similar with movements but slight variations on the energy demands.

I think studies still support block periodization as slightly better than DUP but, for the non-competitive athlete, I think DUP offers some psychological benefits that help stay the course for most of us. Weekly Undulating Periodization (WUP) I think has shown to be slightly better than both and is another potential way to periodize the programs. I believe both undulating methods have consistently been better at improving body composition compared to block periodization.

@Dayz
I don't think it is in the book anywhere. I have been doing it with different ratios for over a year though and find that they enhance each other similar to daily undulating programming/periodization (DUP). DUP is fairly well documented as a successful method of programming.

S&S, Q&D, and A+A, can be rotated through analogous to strength, hypertrophy, and power days which work for many powerlifters and strength athletes. I would consider the three programs to be a form of specialized variety. They are similar with movements but slight variations on the energy demands.

I think studies still support block periodization as slightly better than DUP but, for the non-competitive athlete, I think DUP offers some psychological benefits that help stay the course for most of us. Weekly Undulating Periodization (WUP) I think has shown to be slightly better than both and is another potential way to periodize the programs. I believe both undulating methods have consistently been better at improving body composition compared to block periodization.
Thank you that is s great explanation. Long term I'm thinking of cycling through those three programs, S&S, A+A, Q&D. They just seem perfect!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom