all posts post new thread

Kettlebell How long do your warm ups, and S&S sessions take?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LejonBrames

Level 5 Valued Member
I feel like my warm ups sometimes take up to 15 minutes, and the actually lesson can take up to 45 minutes some days.

I'm working with a good weight and never feel debilitatingly sore the next day(barely sore at all), but I feel it's still taking me considerably more time than most (most I hear it like 30 mins), so just curious to how long it takes others.

I give myself enough rest to power through the next set well, and with good from, with talk test, and never longer.

Usually, I spend more time on cooling down (e.g. mobility, foam rolling, yoga stretches) than on warmin up (~5min).
I often move (e.g. cycling to gym, cleaning the house, go for a short walk) before I start my workout, becauseof that I am not "from the couch to the kettlebell".

Hello,

My WU lasts about 6 minutes. The training it itself lasts about 20. Stretching lasts 15 minutes.

I prefer short and daily trainings because I feel fresh everyday and progress more that way.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

In general, during the week, I do not have time for long sessions. I can more easily maintain my focus on move quality with shorter session than longer ones. I took time only during the WE. During those ones, a session can last 1h, but I do lots of breathing and stretch between each sets.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I do about 8 minutes of movement/stretching, then S&S, then put on a thirty pound weight vest, gather the dog and walk a mile and a half, all in an hour.

* 30 minutes Warmup (Walking, OS Resets, Joint mobility/ distraction, KB movements with a light bell, crawling, foam rolling)

* 15 - 30 minutes Training :

16 - 24kg (Simple Protocol)
28 - 32kg (Swings 7.5 minutes / TGU 10 minutes)
40kg (Swings 10 - 15 minutes / TGU 15 minutes)

* 15 minutes Cool down (Stretching, foam rolling)

I've never timed my warm-ups (I reckon it's no more than 10 minutes at most) but the swings and get-ups take me between 15 and 20 minutes depending on how long it takes me to catch my breath between sets on a given day.

Pavel has halos, goblet squats and back arches as warmup. I started to confuse the idea of warmup with adding exercises onto S&S and I think that was detrimental. Adding other hard work slows the whole thing down and leads to weaker exercising overall.

In my case, I do no-kettlebell prying squats for warmup before the swings, back arches before the TGUs, and I do what I might call "belly haloes" to pass the bell from one side to the other while doing the TGUs.

Anyhow, I've come to believe that it's crucial to limit the strength moves to the swings and the getups. Doing these full out is the right amount. Doing more means we might not be able to go "full out" with them and it weakens the exercises.

For me, it depends on how I am feeling that day. My warmup is Halos & Prying Goblet Squats, sometimes I perform a curl with the kettlebell at the bottom of my squat. Those can take about 10 minutes.

I will also stretch before I perform these exercises. My stretching can take anywhere from a few minutes to around 30 minutes, depending again, on how I am feeling that particular day.

Then, if I am feeling it, I will do my swings with a one minute rest between sets, so, 15-18 minutes, take a two minute rest while I prepare for get ups, and do them with one minute between sets, for about 7-10 minutes.

If I have the time, or I am not feeling it, I will train for recovery. Same time for warmup, but my session will last for about an hour, as I wait for my HR to get back down, or I can pass the talk test before my next set.

I generally pry squats for 2x5 and unweighted good mornings (5 mins) swings, (5-15 mins) rest and stretch whatever feels tight (2-5 mins) and tgu (10-13). so at a the fastest i do S&S is around 22 mins (does not happen often) and the slowest is around 40 mins. my average is somewhere in between. I just warm up enough that i don't feel tight. sometimes that means lots of stretching and sometimes it means going straight into swings

I've been thinking about this issue for a LONG time now. I've paid attention to my practical mobility and strength in my athletic training when I do use the goblet squats in my S&S routine and when I don't.

I'm certain that the goblet squats not only help to make the swings and getups easier to do, but also make squatting and similar movements more natural and easy to do in other contexts in life.

Squats are too natural and important a movement to neglect in training, I think now, even if they're light squats. The goblet squat mimics perfectly handling some kind of everyday object or box, and it's as much about balance and mobility as about building a wee bit of strength in the lower back and arms.

Warmup usually about 5-10 min. I do the goblet squats, skip the hip bridges and for hips/glutes do things borrowed from yoga like reclined pigeon, upright pigeon, cobblers pose (sitting upright with soles of feet touching, also add bending forward over my feet). Thoracic mobility has been an issue for me over time but it is much improved (from always keeping things like the halos and also adding Bretzel stretches). Between my swings and getups I will often do a bit of OS work like rocking or marching. I think you should add things pertaining to you and your circumstances. For me, things like Bretzels are crucial.

As far as swings and getups themselves, so far at this point in time swings generally if I am not pushing the envelope on occasion (not testing, but just going a little harder once a week to every 10 days or so depending on how I feel) swings take me about 13-15 min on average, and getups about 15 min or so. So generally, between 30 and 40 min most days

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom