all posts post new thread

Kettlebell How long do your warm ups, and S&S sessions take?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
My warm ups and workout on most days is around 40 minutes (10 min warm up, 10 min swings, and 20 min TGU's). But that can vary from day to day depending on how I feel and/or how much time I have.

Some days I don't do the warmups at all and other days like today I get very deliberate and take my time with the warmups (with additional mobility exercises) and workout (more time between sets). Total time today was an hour and forty minutes including lots of post stretching.

The thing I love about S&S A+A style is I'm never sore the next day and always feel refreshed after the workout. I usually top it off with a 2 1/2 mile easy run (30 min) an hour after supper.

I feel like my warm ups sometimes take up to 15 minutes, and the actually lesson can take up to 45 minutes some days. I do Pavel's recommended warm up, taking a little extra time with the prying goblet squats. I don't time the warm up(I should) but start the clock right before my first set of swings. I stop the clock right after my last get up. Best time:mad:13:30. Average time: @20:00. Generally, I finish the session in about 45:00, including warm up and cool down/stretch. Hope that's not completely confusing.

I'm working with a good weight and never feel debilitatingly sore the next day(barely sore at all), but I feel it's still taking me considerably more time than most (most I hear it like 30 mins), so just curious to how long it takes others.

I give myself enough rest to power through the next set well, and with good from, with talk test, and never longer.

Pavel has halos, goblet squats and back arches as warmup. I started to confuse the idea of warmup with adding exercises onto S&S and I think that was detrimental. Adding other hard work slows the whole thing down and leads to weaker exercising overall.

In my case, I do no-kettlebell prying squats for warmup before the swings, back arches before the TGUs, and I do what I might call "belly haloes" to pass the bell from one side to the other while doing the TGUs.

Anyhow, I've come to believe that it's crucial to limit the strength moves to the swings and the getups. Doing these full out is the right amount. Doing more means we might not be able to go "full out" with them and it weakens the exercises.
Of all the warm up exercises, the prying squat should be the last one you drop.

For me :
- 15 min for the warm up (I sometime do the goblet squat only, which take me 6-7 minutes)
- Between 7 and 12 minutes for the swings (except for the test day : 5 minutes) and between 10 and 20 minutes for the TGU (most of the time 25 minutes for both)
- 5-7 minutes for stretching

So the majority of my sessions take 45 minutes, all included. My longest sessions take 1 hour (with my heaviest kettlebell, and/or the days I need long rests), sessions with kettlebell I "own" usually take 30 minutes.

warmups using OS resets/GFE 5-10 mins

I do SSTP for variety day 10-20 mins on average at the moment

I usually take a whole hour... warmup is usually short... 5-10min max. I do a bit of foam rolling to stretch out my back and get my spinal movement going, some crawling and joint mobility movements. Then S&S taking ample time to rest between sets.

Usually finish with some loaded carries or hanging and a few stretches

I usually warm-up 5-10 depending on prying time; do swings in 7:30 ish on regular days, rest a minute, and do TGUs in 8:30ish. Approximately 20-25 total minutes.

Having read other posts, I feel like I am missing something.

Having read other posts, I feel like I am missing something

Many of us take 10-15 minutes for the swings and also 10-15 minutes for the TGU. This allows to fully recover and be explosive from set to set. If you already are fully recovered and explosive doing the swings in 7:30, you might try a heavier bell and longer recovery (at least some sets)

I've just started using a programmed interval timer for my S&S sessions as I like to keep my sessions time-constrained (one of the reasons I was and am still very fond of the ETK Program Minimum). Keeping to the clock really helps me with my focus as well; I can be rather easily distracted otherwise.

I give myself a 10 minute warm-up (which is a little generous; it usually takes about 8 minutes, but I don't want to rush myself) and then do sets of swings and get-ups on the minute for the next 20 minutes. I like that the whole thing takes exactly half an hour and I may shave a minute off the warm-up and add a minute's rest between the last set of swings and the first set of get-ups.

Total about 50min.

Warmup is about 5-7min. These days I am just doing 3x5 heavy goblet squats as a minimal warmup, not currently seeing a “need” for more. This fluctuates though, and sometimes I have an extended 10-15min warmup of flowing through or holding various positions.

Swings are about 15min. I am doing them every 1:30 having just moved to a heavier bell.

Rest 5min.

Getups are 25min. Doing those every 2:30, again with a recent move up in bell size.

50 minutes
i skip halo and hip bridge because i don't feel i need them. i used to do heavy goblet squat, but i will not recommend that anymore. warm up is warm up.

swing is about 20 minutes. very strange that 2 last sets usually take 5 minutes
get up is easier for me, so 10-20 minutes

I've just started using a programmed interval timer for my S&S sessions as I like to keep my sessions time-constrained (one of the reasons I was and am still very fond of the ETK Program Minimum). Keeping to the clock really helps me with my focus as well; I can be rather easily distracted otherwise.

Same here. I just can't go without a timer. I practice first thing in the morning, that is around 4:45AM. I like to explore my thoughts and emotions right after waking up and therefore I need to have a timer to "bring me back" every minute to do my swings and getups.

Would love to do the whole sessions without a timer and concentrate on breathing alone, but I think I cannot chase two rabbits at the same time.

As Steve F points out, what exactly is a heavy goblet squat? One that your upper back/shoulders feel challenged to keep in correct position? If your swing size bell is too heavy for 3 easy sets of 5, perhaps thats a very good reason to NOT leave them out of the warmup. Certainly that weight should not challenge your legs to fatigue, but rather get the musculature going and stretch the hips. If its too challenging, your legs might not have the integrity to be doing explosive movement with that weight.

warm up - 5 min (if that)
swings - 5 min
TGU - 10 min

use to do with a 24kg -
100 swings (5x10 L, 5x10 R)
20 TGU (1L & 1R EMOM for 10 min)

dialed it back as of today to -

100 swings (5x10 L, 5x10 R)
10 TGU (alternating L&R EMOM)
using 32kg

Its my 3rd week so far. Been away from any sort of training - Had a long layoff.
I was never very big on kb swings, about 8 years ago use to love doing the bent press with the 56kg (couple each side) and Snatches with the 48.

I am enjoying this S&S program

My instructor had me doing halos, squats, and bridges along with other stretching exercises which took 15-20 mins. I felt it was a bit OTT to be honest.....perhaps he was erring on the side of caution.

After a few weeks after buying S&S, I followed the book and just did halos, prying squats and bridges. Warm up takes about 10 mins. Swings are 10 mins and so are TGUs. I'm done and dusted in 30 mins and that makes it possible to exercise daily at that moderate pace with zero impact in my daily life and I'm a guy who is after a x3 heart by pass. :cool:

I have that down even slimmed and it is in line with the book. I have now dropped the bridges and halos. I just do 3 x 5 reps of prying goblet squats with 2 bicep curls thrown in on the bottom on each rep and i'm ready to rock. (y)

So far so good and no injuries and I think having a x3 heart bypass has it benefits at times!. It probably teaches me to progress more slowly and cautious than a lot of guys do....but progress I still do. It also forces me to be sensible and don't take risks and don't use weight that make any move dicey for my well being. For me, I treat S&S as a marathon and not a sprint. ;)

I seen a guy only recently who warms up way longer than me He also takes risks and pushes it to the limits and over sometimes. He has pulled a muscle in his ribs doing a TGU and it has set him back weeks. So what you do during the exercise is even more important as to what you do before the exercise imo.

Oh, sure, you explain things here.......;):p:eek::D

Total about 50min.

Warmup is about 5-7min. These days I am just doing 3x5 heavy goblet squats as a minimal warmup, not currently seeing a “need” for more. This fluctuates though, and sometimes I have an extended 10-15min warmup of flowing through or holding various positions.

Swings are about 15min. I am doing them every 1:30 having just moved to a heavier bell.

Rest 5min.

Getups are 25min. Doing those every 2:30, again with a recent move up in bell size.

Hi,
I need about 45 minutes for a session, where the warmup as described by the book takes the longest time.

Warmup: ca 18 - 20 minutes
Swings: ca 15 minutes (just recently progressed to 100 OHS, started with 50 THS after being ill)
Getups: ranging from ca 14 to 18 minutes, depending how strong I am at this day :)

The warmup is that long as I am extensive prying with the Goblet Squats, it helps my hips a lot. The last two session I noticed that my hips feel a lot more free, so I think the time will reduce over time :)

Stretching I try to do in the evening just before bed time, not stopping the time.

Regards,
Benjamin

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom