all posts post new thread

Kettlebell How long do your warm ups, and S&S sessions take?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
During my first "run" at S&S, I would do a full joint mobility session along with OS Resets and then the S&S warm up. Usually I would take time between warmups. That took a solid 25ish minutes and would push my total practive session time upwards of 60 minutes.

This time around, I'm experiementing with just doing to warm up as prescribed going immediately from one movement to the next. I'm doing this for two reasons: 1.) I shifted to a PM practice and although I have a desk job, I've been up moving for the day so my body is "awake". 2.) It shaves the training session down to around 35 minutes and until I build a solid habit, I believe it will increase my chances of success. I will probably start a 10 minute joint mobility session when I first wake up in the next few weeks.

My training takes me about 40 to 50 minutes. Warm up is done with OS Reset for 10 minutes, and Indian club work. Sometimes I add goblet squats (apparently, from what I read above I should do them more often) and then swings, either EMOM or following heart rate, and TGU.

Just to add it here in the appropriate place, I've been doing lots of goblet curls in the squatting position according to the S&S book's instructions in my warmups and have noticed a lot of biceps muscle growth, which looks and feels very nice, and is also helping me with chinups. I do a minimum of 3 sets of 5 curls like this with the 32kg kettlebell. It's GREAT!

Total: 25-40 min., that is minus post practise stretching which I either do later or not at all.

Warmup: 5-10 min., if only sticking to goblet squat, glue bridge and halo it takes and 5 min. If I stay longer in ex. goblet squat it takes longer than 5 min.

Break: 1-5 min. I take a longer break if I want to push harder.

Swing: 10 min. I always do 10 EMOM. Unless it's test day, then I shoot for every 30 secs.

TGU: 10-20 min. That is depending on pace and breaks between.

Note: I used to hate goblet squat. I think I have all the mobility I need in my hips for S&S. Now I do curls in the goblet squat with the 25kg and they are perhaps my favorite part of the whole practise. Love to see them guns grow!

It seems that S&S is taking 30+ minutes (some upwards of 60min). Now I'm not knocking it or anything but if done 5-7 days a week, that's a lot of time devoted to a gpp program which is touted as a daily recharge. Where as there are plenty of programs for fat loss and hypertrophy that are one 20min three times a week.
I just think a recharge workout should be 20-30 min tops. In out done. When you go past 30min it's no longer a daily recharge.

It seems that S&S is taking 30+ minutes (some upwards of 60min). Now I'm not knocking it or anything but if done 5-7 days a week, that's a lot of time devoted to a gpp program which is touted as a daily recharge. Where as there are plenty of programs for fat loss and hypertrophy that are one 20min three times a week.
I just think a recharge workout should be 20-30 min tops. In out done. When you go past 30min it's no longer a daily recharge.
That's including warm-up and cool-down/stretching.
The 20min fatloss/hypertrophy routines also need that so they will take longer aswell.
The main part of S&S (without WA and CD) is 16-30min. If the swings and TGUs take you more than 30min than IMO you're probably using a weight that's too heavy.

When I was doing S&S I was strict about doing everything as the book prescribes, so I was only doing the squat, halo and bridges. It took me less than 5 minutes. Since reaching Simple and switching to other things I read the Original Strength book and now can't imagine starting my day without the OS resets. Feels soooo good!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom