all posts post new thread

Bodyweight How Low Can You Go? (Naked Warrior)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

User 7569

Summary: Lower rep sets, easier drills, more stretching.

Upon revisiting Naker Warrior, I find myself re-learning the end-level drills, but mostly spending time on things like one-arm wall pushups and box pistols in the 2-3 rep range. I stretch before and after sets for a short time now. I use the end-moves sparingly.

5 sets of 5/5 one arm wall PU is a great standard to get used to on a 3-5 x/ week basis. One arm wall push ups should be done in the hardest leverage position possible. You can make them pretty challenging by doing them slowly. OAwall PU are a shorter range movement, don't contort in order to try to get a fuller range.

here's what a typical Monday may look like:

5 x 5 wall OAPU, 3 x 2/2 sets of box pistol, 1/1 box pistol (+20lb dumbbell)

Tuesday:

4 x 5 wall OAPU, 2 x 3/3 box pistols...

It's a low rep game of weeks and months. Naked Warrior is not about doing hard singles.

Making the game harder:

-Doing reps with more tension
-Slowing the rep (but avoiding extremes)
-Lessening the time between sets on your daily workload
-Adding in another workday

Making the game easier:
-Doing reps with more tension
-Doing multiple (~6/day) singles on an "easier" variation
-Doing box pistols from a higher chair, but with weight added, for singles
-Taking 1-2 more days off than usual

-Taking 3 days off is not unusual or, for me, counterproductive lately.
-NW hardens your midsection within the first few days of returning to it
-Box pistols are very valuable even after you can pistol for multiple reps
-Weighted box pistols feel more like barbell squats than full BW pistol

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a low rep game of weeks and months. Naked Warrior is not about doing hard singles.
This is an interesting take on it. Thanks for sharing.

I have found, too, that consistent low volume work + waving the volume works pretty well. It is a bit like "Russian Easy Strength": Almost daily, submaximal quality work combined with variability.

OAwall PU are a shorter range movement, don't contort in order to try to get a fuller range.
Do these on a door frame with the door open. Your head will be able to go through the door opening, letting you get full ROM on Wall OAPUs.

Just a random tip I picked up years ago when I used this program to get the OAPU :)

Thanks for posting this Jak, I've enjoyed reading your posts on the forum, particularly as I'm currently using gtg on oapu progressions.

I'm struggling to picture how to use leverage to make a wall oapu harder, would be great if you could elaborate on this. I appreciate this may well be a daft question!

Thanks for posting this Jak, I've enjoyed reading your posts on the forum, particularly as I'm currently using gtg on oapu progressions.

I'm struggling to picture how to use leverage to make a wall oapu harder, would be great if you could elaborate on this. I appreciate this may well be a daft question!

You can make the one arm pushup easier on the floor by shifting weight from your "active" hand to your "opposite" foot,

in the same regard you can make the wall OAPU harder by shifting more weight to your arm. It takes experimentation.. the best way I can describe it is that you "lean" into the direction of where your hand is placed.

Try spending a few minutes shifting weight around your 3 different limbs (your two feet and your active hand) until you find the "increased" load

sorry man thats the best i could do for an explanation I'm sure someone who has taken the courses could explain what I'm taking about better.

Thank you, that makes perfect sense. I've been using objects around the house to do elevated oapu at different heights to progress (now on week 4 of the 6 week oapu program in the articles section), but will be sure to have a play around with the wall oapu as you described above at some point.

Thank you, that makes perfect sense. I've been using objects around the house to do elevated oapu at different heights to progress (now on week 4 of the 6 week oapu program in the articles section), but will be sure to have a play around with the wall oapu as you described above at some point.

If you run into any trouble getting your OAPU feel free to message me on here i remember most of the sticking points and learning curves.

If you pay attention to the post history of @pet' he posts a lot of interesting and helpful Bodyweight articles/programs/ideas

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom