all posts post new thread

Kettlebell How many kettlebells do you use in a typical week?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I agree with you and get your point. But at some point when you've invested in 4 or 5 bells, you are probably at the break even point for an inexpensive barbell and few hundred pounds of weights. I do believe that somebody could get a great workout only owning 1 bell.

Ignoring what kind of training each is best at and focusing solely on economics...

Barbells have higher barrier to entry, but good economies of scale as training weight and variability goes up.

KBs have lower barrier to entry, but bad economies of scale as training weight and variability goes up.

I have around $500 in my two pair, and they will continue to function perfectly and require no maintenance well past the time I'm taking a dirt nap. Awesome.
Also, I'm starting to think I would like to have a good bar and some bumper plates within close reach.

I have around $500 in my two pair, and they will continue to function perfectly and require no maintenance well past the time I'm taking a dirt nap. Awesome.
Also, I'm starting to think I would like to have a good bar and some bumper plates within close reach.
I bought bumpers & use them some but have told friends to try 16, 24, 32 & set of gymnastic rings. I'm not minimalist but don't use barbell much anymore. Get what you want.

This question is just for my curiousity -- I'd love to know: How many kettlebells did you use this week?
I imagine Chuck Norris used all of them.

As far as mine, I've used about 6 bells this week not counting warmup. I have 19 bells so I'm fully stocked. No matter what size you can always find a use for them.

It is interesting and kind of cool to force yourself to use only one bell for a workout or two sometimes

I bought bumpers & use them some but have told friends to try 16, 24, 32 & set of gymnastic rings. I'm not minimalist but don't use barbell much anymore. Get what you want.

But what about curls???

And, yes, I do own a "Convict" rackable curl bar in addition to my more serious "real" barbells:

c7d6c93c-6939-4570-981d-75dd5d09f643_1.05d8198bf7ccb02e2bd7ae641c88e6ed.jpeg

I originally bought it as a bit of a self-joke so I could curl in my squat rack.

But I actually find myself using it for all sorts of surprising exercises when I'm not in the mood to reconfigure my real barbells: Romanian deadlifts, ab wheel rollouts, etc.

It's particularly comfortable for good mornings.

I've tried curling with kettlebells, but it just doesn't feel as bro-tastic.

I even tried to deadlift with it once just for LOLZ, and in Sumo stance it wasn't that bad....

Last edited:
But what about curls???

And, yes, I do own a "Convict" rackable curl bar in addition to my more serious "real" barbells:

c7d6c93c-6939-4570-981d-75dd5d09f643_1.05d8198bf7ccb02e2bd7ae641c88e6ed.jpeg

I originally bought it as a bit of a self-joke so I could curl in my squat rack.

But I actually find myself using it for all sorts of surprising exercises when I'm not in the mood to reconfigure my real barbells: Romanian deadlifts, ab wheel rollouts, etc.

I've tried curling with kettlebells, but it just doesn't feel as bro-tastic.

I even tried deadlift with it once just for LOLZ, and in Sumo stance it wasn't that bad....
Overkill is Underrated.

Hmmm. Guess I am unlike most. I tend to set my training up around quarters and I stick with one bell for those 3 months. Part of the minimalist mentality. Just started on a three month plan where all I’m doing is goblet squats and 2H swings both with the 48. Prior to that it was 3 months of just snatches with the 32. I like to keep the choices to an absolute minimum. All I adjust from day to day are reps per set and overall volume and that mainly based on how I am feeling during the session.

Hmmm. Guess I am unlike most. I tend to set my training up around quarters and I stick with one bell for those 3 months. Part of the minimalist mentality. Just started on a three month plan where all I’m doing is goblet squats and 2H swings both with the 48. Prior to that it was 3 months of just snatches with the 32. I like to keep the choices to an absolute minimum. All I adjust from day to day are reps per set and overall volume and that mainly based on how I am feeling during the session.

I wish I could use 1 bell for everything.

But my glutes are much bigger than my delts. ;)

@watchnerd
That's funny bc i still believe in 1/2+ bw curls so i use the BB for those and inverted rows. But those could be expendable....

Yikes. 2 arm barbell for me.

Just checking. ;)

At my height, weight, it's a decent size number. I'm not quite there yet (43 kg EZ bar curl), but it I guess it's a stretch goal if I really wanted to work on it.

I tend to keep my bicep training modest, because I need to be able to maintain a good barbell rack for the clean and jerk.

But if it was 1 arm, it would be like:

maxresdefault.jpg

One thing I forgot to mention:

Having a wide range of kettlebell sizes let's me do warm-up sets

If I'm doing to do a set of 3 x 5 clean & press that is 80% of my 1 RM, I don't want to just jump into it cold.

It's nice to have enough bells to start with warm up sets that is 8 kg lighter, then one final last warm up set that is 4 kg below the work set.

I have one each, 12, 16, 20, and 24 kg. Rarely touch the 12kg though it was good at very beginning of getting back to snatch after years of not. No more snatching at all due to arthritic shoulder. I have been doing swings quite a bit in the A+A format and found the 24kg nearing "too light". Already have barbell and plates so made a Hungarian Core Blaster so I can now swing at incremental weights up to far more than I would ever use. I had a local metal sculptor make me "D" handle (welded to pipe end cap) so I can do 1 handed as well as 2 handed swings at any weight I want. Works great.

I use KB for goblet squats. I like dumbbells for those but won't use them unless fixed weight or the kind with threaded sleeve/collar which I don't have. I like my feet the way they are...

I have found I prefer dumbbells for TGU's because the center of mass being a bit further from my shoulder makes same weight a bit more difficult. Not a big deal but again, if I want to increase weight, very variable load up to more than I'd ever use without having to buy more stuff (I have 2 loadable handles).

Last edited:
I am currently running "Easy Reg Park", so I have been using 1x16kg, 2x24, 2x32, 2x36, 2x40 across 6 days, plus 2 light maces for warm-ups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom