all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed How many moves do you use ?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

pet'

Level 8 Valued Member
Hello,

How many moves do you use in your training ? Do you think that using too many moves can slow down progression ? Is there a "limite" ?

Currently, the moves I "master" and use are:
OAOL PU (not looking for adding reps)
weighted pistol squats (not looking for adding reps)
dragon flags (not looking for adding reps)
swings (either 1H (@32) or 2H (@40) in function of the weight I want)

Then, I am working out to achieve:
OACU (almost strict)
planche (start back from the beginning)

On Daily Dose (so it is not a "long-term" program):
deadlifts

Kind regards,

Pet'

I am currently on the S&S program, so my moves are (mostly) 'limited' to swings and TGU, together with the warm-up moves Goblet Squat, SF hip lift and halo. I also do KB deadlifts as part of the warm-up.
I say mostly, because now and then, max once a week, I put in the more 'advanced' KB moves as well. But basically, its just swings and TGU.

Hello,

I do believe that focusing on 2 moves make your progression very fast. You can dedicate both spirit and body at 100%. From my experience, 2 moves works well (achieved Simple recently).

The question I have is : is there an "optimal" number of moves we can work out, simultaneously ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet', in anticipation of the more experienced practitioners, I would ask you a few questions. What is your long-term goal or goals? How would the additional moves benefit you in attaining your goal or goals? I have read on here where you can utilize the S&S movements to augment/compliment weight training. Maybe you start another routing like ROP, or another of your choice. I believe, honestly, that the usage of these kettlebells is pretty much endless. It seems to me, that it is up to the individual to determine how they are used, to maximize their usage.

Hello,

@Michael Scott
My goals are only the full planche and the OACU.

Other moves I do were goals but I achieved them. I do not especially want to be better at them. I increase weight or lever due to regular practice to maintain a progession but it is secondary.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet' I move through cycles around the Big 6: Snatch, Swing, TGU, Clean, Press, Squat depending on goals with double bells and / or single bells.

Also in the mix I use body-weight floor exercises, dumbbell and kettlebell carries, and walking.

My current 8 week program involves double bells (clean / press / squat) for 5 weeks and then the final 3 weeks with a single bell (presses only).

@natewhite39, will you be mixing in (or swapping out) DPP, DJ, DS, WM, and BP soon for SFG II prep?

@Anna C Yes, at the conclusion of this program I am going to begin working on Brett Jones' SFGII skills prep program. My 1/2 bodyweight press goal is the 44kg as well.

Hello,

Thus, to maintain skill and strength, we can use 6 moves or more, but to reach a specific goal (such as 1/2bw press, or "difficult moves"), it seems better to do less moves.

Reaching simultaneously high goals with numerous moves is more difficult.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet', I think of it like this... If you own a piece of land and you want to elevate your vantage point so you can have a better view, you can pile up some dirt here and there, maybe build one pile tall, and then another... As you continue to build several piles and the gaps fill in between them, eventually you end up with one big pile... the foundation becomes taller, and each time you build a pile on top of that, you will reach greater heights. So, sometimes working on breadth across many areas, sometimes height in specific areas... it all adds up.

Hello,

Thank you for your answers ! :)

Yes I read this article. A masterpiece about what you are capable of when daily performing S&S. I only achieved Simple so I am far from Pavel's level !

I was wondering if using let say 4 or 5 moves on a daily basis ("S&S fashion") could slow down progression. But indeed, with variety (or extremely well chosen exercises like S&S !) can come carryover

Kind regards,

Pet'

I generally stick to 2 or 3 movements in a training cycle, others as variety, though.

-S-

@pet' Depends on the program. Examples: you can do them almost daily (S&S, NW, PTTP!), or 2-3 times a week (Easy Strength), or 3 times a week (classical Western powerlifting cycle), etc. etc.

Hello,

@Pavel Macek
When you do it 3 times a week, is there a difference in sets / reps ?

If training "only" 2 or 3 times a week, I guess the number of reps during a session has to be superior ? Is working on singles 3 times a week enough to gain strength ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet' again, it depends on the specific program, goals, etc.

As for singles, same thing - there are some very specific programs for singles (like Steve Justa's deadlift singles), with specific parameters.

Hello,

@Pavel Macek
Do you have some books / programs / references about singles and their "strategies" ?

For example, I currently use the "Daily Dose Deadlift" (on SF blog)

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet' not much, just what Pavel has written in Easy Strength, plus the article you have mentioned.

Notice that when you do singles:

- they are nowhere close to your 1RM, i.e. the intensity is not high
- the daily volume is relatively low
- you train basically daily - thanks to high frequency the weekly volume is relatively high

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom