all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed How many moves do you use ?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I have gone through periods of few movements and periods of many. I have identified 9 Movements that I want to maintain and improve. I was doing them as groups in cycles but have recently been moving back to getting all 9 movements 1-5 times every two weeks depending on the number of days/wk I have to train. I have attached the program I am starting as an example.

Attachments

• Happiness.pdf
    274.9 KB · Views: 23
What do you define as one movement?

I'm currently on a S&S inspired routine with a lot of running. Is running a movement in your eyes?
I also combine the TGU with windmills: Get up -> windmill with a long hold in the bottom position -> get down. There are several different movement patterns in that thing.

Sometimes I have a hard time trimming down a routine to under 5 moves because I enjoy so many things. However the best results I've had always came when I have done 2-3 moves.

What do you define as one movement?

I'm currently on a S&S inspired routine with a lot of running. Is running a movement in your eyes?
I also combine the TGU with windmills: Get up -> windmill with a long hold in the bottom position -> get down. There are several different movement patterns in that thing.
Running is, in my book.

I stick with pretty minimalist programs these days, which to me means training 2-4 movements and filling any gaps during my warmup. I've found that I get better results with less planning/mental effort this way, compared to when I "focus" on many different movements. That being said, I don't think there's anything wrong with working many different movements, just as long as you are at a reasonably high level of skill with most of them. For instance, it could be an issue if someone if has five different training sessions per week, two of which are based on movements that they are very familiar with while three of them use lifts that are new. This would mean that our example athlete is only getting two high quality training sessions each week, and the other three sessions are skill work that will help them improve each specific lift, but will have little carryover to other endeavors. Of course, it's a little more complex than that, since lower skill lifts will start to produce carryover sooner than high skill lifts, but hopefully you get what I'm saying...

Hello,

In this article :Tip: The Minimalist Approach | T Nation we can read that a training with only a few moves and very focused, improves our progress faster than any other kind of program. Then, it is right in the S&S line : make it Simple and efficient

Kind regards,

Pet'

If I have too many moves I will begin to break the routine down and cycle it through on a weekly pattern.

In reality, 4 moves is my personal max for a given routine though I might add others at a higher volume/lower load for finishers. Most of my workouts feature 2 moves that will get the most intensity and rest between, with another 2 - 4 at higher volume.

It all depends on the goal, I'm always looking for good all around fitness longevity with a narrowed eye on my past MA training. So every so often I work in some routines with higher numbers of movements and emphasis on speed. And then I have to work in footwork/mobility drills. Both of these require a larger number of movements, tho taken as a compound exercise the range is not huge, is the application that makes them seem to have many movements. In a larger sense, my MA drills fall under push/pull/mobility.

In the past I used 5-6 moves, like Rippetoe's Starting Strength, Arnold's Golden Six or Wendler's 5/3/1. Nothing wrong with that. But nowadays it's 2-3 moves, like Pavel's PTTP or S&S + warmup drills. Fits better for my schedules and goals nowadays.

I usually focus on two movements I am trying to progress along with a variety of special exercises and assistance work that sometimes I push up work wise if I'm feeling spry, otherwise just the same basic sets and reps for muscle maintenance.

Right now it's the one arm swing and the barbell press but I do belt squat, barbell hack squats, walking lunges and crawls for assistance as well as pushups and rear and side db deltoid work as well as lots of rucking :)

looks like a lot but in reality it's the two main courses I mentally focus on

I only do S&S (aiming for the Simple goal) and Pullups using the Fighter Pullup program (aiming to get from 5 reps to 10). This is the first time in my life I limited myself to so few exercises and it is also the first time I see the progress so fast. I used to suffer from f#@karounditis and generally chosing too many exercises. My NY resolution is to cut everything secondary and not jump to any other program until I reach the two goals above.

My program until June 3, in this order - it's an Easy Strength approach

Every Day: stretch, walk

Mon-Tue-Thu-Fri:
windmill x 6-10 total reps
swings, averaging 60 per day
1-arm pushups - a variation that lets me get 6-10 reps in perfect form then change elevation
military press - work up to 2 sets of 5 in perfect form then add weight
daily dose deadlift - 285 lb. is my 75%, planning 365 lb. 2nd pull at June 3 meet.

Wed-Sat-Sun: swings and/or ab work and/or other variety, e.g., pull-ups, or no lifting

-S-

Hello,

@Steve Freides
I pretty much like your program :)

I have a question: I noticed that you go for windmill and press. So, why do you do go for a bent press training ? It would be "only one" move instead of two.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet', my thoracic spine mobility isn't good enough to work seriously on my bent press. I do bent presses with very light weights once a week or so to help, but in the meantime, the windmill helps somewhat and because I have very good hip and hamstring mobility, I can do a good job with it.

-S-

I use whatever moves are 1) necessary, then 2) what I want to improve. Searching for base level competency, then whatever I currently am focusing on. I love the answer of @Harald Motz - one at a time. Very wise.

Hello,

@Steve Freides
Yes that is true. Plus, the combinationf windmill and presses work almost the same thing than a BnP. What I like with BnP is that I almost get an armbar training (so shoulder flexibility training).

@wespom9
Yes I remember that sentence ! :)
Nonetheless, some combinations can sometimes be worth considering to work on different ascpects simultaneously and make a training more "efficient" (for instance if you are short in time). For instance, a clean & press session.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom