all posts post new thread

Kettlebell How many of us have completed the 24kg snatch test?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
how about the snatch test from ETK? anyone finished that? 200 snatch is a lot of snatch. that is the reason why i haven't borrowed the iron yet from ROTK

how about the snatch test from ETK? anyone finished that? 200 snatch is a lot of snatch. that is the reason why i haven't borrowed the iron yet from ROTK

Yeah, it's a different beast! To state the obvious, 200 in 10 minutes is a lot harder than 100 in 5 minutes... but it's not TWICE as hard. I've only done it once that I recall, 200 with the 16kg in 10 minutes with not much time to spare. Muscular endurance is more of a factor, grip endurance, and breathing/pacing. Aerobic base helps a lot with this one.

the 200 snatches in 10 minutes with the designated kettlebell is what is known as the "Secret Service Snatch Test (SSST)".

Just a reminder..

there are no bonus points for finishing a snatch test early.

a 3:37 time and a 4:59 time both merit SFG status

But someone who finishes in 3:37 didn't have to suffer as long and can relax and enjoy having passed while the 4:59 person is sweating it out (physically and emotionally) down to the wire.

They may both merit SFG status (and deserve it equally). But who would you rather be?

One of my goals for the snatch test is that it is as comfortable as possible. That means not racing all out, but also having a comfortable time margin. For me, the balance is around 4 minutes, but everyone will have their own physical and emotional comfort zone. However, I don't think a 1 second margin for error is likely to be inside anyone's comfort zone.

how about the snatch test from ETK? anyone finished that? 200 snatch is a lot of snatch.

I've done it once, but it was a struggle. I also failed at it several times when I was trained up to knock out the 100 rep test in my sleep. I had to really focus on my mobility, skill at relaxing with the bell overhead, and gradually extending my ability to do longer continuous sets, and it was still an ordeal to suffer through it. I haven't tried it since, and don't have any plans to do so in the future. I can see myself training for 100 in 5 with 28kg or even 32kg sometime, but no more 10 minute tests for me.

It reminds me of a line I once read from some elite marathon runner whose name I can't recall. He said, "I really admire those people who finish in 6 hours -- I couldn't stand to run for that long."

Last edited:
I passed the 5:00 test at April TSC, that's the only time I've really gone for it thus far. Training was S&S 3x a week, + program-minimum-style run and snatch 2x a week - generally 500 total swings a week. Heavy swings with good recovery build up the grip endurance nicely. And just do a lot of snatching, even with a lighter bell if you need to, to get comfortable with the movement, so it becomes "mindless" - same form every time without having to think to hard about it.

Also helps to have the adrenaline rush of a judge watching you and a bunch of people cheering you on.

Try it. Don't worry about 200, just go for 10 minutes. A memorable miserable experience. All time best is 160. For those who can do it, I'm impressed and tip my hat.

I finished 5 recently and was not quite cooked, but thinking, no way I could do 5 more minutes. I think you'd have to build up by adding minutes, 5 , then 6, 120, 7, 140 etc.

Try it. Don't worry about 200, just go for 10 minutes. A memorable miserable experience.

Exactly. Same goes for the 5 minutes. If you can snatch a kettlebell, you can do this. Have an open mind, no particular number... just do as many snatches as you can do, having someone count for you or on video so you can count afterwards. (It gets hard to count while you're under duress). Then you'll know. Then you'll have done a 5-min or 10-min snatch baseline to improve upon. It's a blast!

I'm able to press the 24kg on each side for about 5 reps without grinding. Can get up to 8 if I grind.

However, whenever I snatch I feel really unstable. On the way up, the lockout isn't 100% stable, and on the way down I feel like my grip / lats are working hard to control the descent.

I'm able to do the 16kg snatch test, and am comfortable doing 24kg getups.

Any tips?

Any tips?

Mostly, just keep snatching. Singles, then doubles, then triples, then 5s... take your time in the lockout as you're practicing. The stability will improve a lot in a few weeks.

Do you have a 20kg? That can help bridge the gap. But it's not necessary.

You can also practice half-snatches, either on the way up or on the way down.
  • Regular half-snatches: snatch it up, lower it to the rack, then drop it to the hinge, repeat.
  • Opposite: clean and press it up, drop it into the hinge, repeat.

Haven't done it.Hoping for an SFG in 2019 to make myself do it. Have done Simple, would need 2-4 weeks to get back that aerobic base then would give it a go after a month or two of building in snatches.

2 months later - I am beginning to see some progress after spending more time with the 24kg doing daily S&S w/ some pressing / snatching on variety days.

Reached a personal milestone of 100 snatches today. I wasn't watching the clock, but ended up completing in 15 minutes. I broke up my reps into 5L rest, 5R sets.

Grip feels good and isn't as fatigued as when I first started. Planning on spending more time and getting stronger. Hopefully, I'll report back in a few months with better results.

Thanks for the tips all!

Get where you can snatch with the 32K, at a minimum the 28K. Swings with the 40K, minimum of 36K. Work 5 reps OTM 1-2 times per week for snatch and 2-3 times per week for swings.

Work the following amount of time;

Swings: 18-30-18-24-42-24-37-30-37-42-20

Snatch: 12-30-18-12-18-12-20-30

So your first week would look something like this;

Mon Swing 18 min, Wed Snatch 12 min, Fri Swings 30 min.

Week two;

Mon Swings 18, Tues Snatch 30, Thur Swing 24, Fri Swing 42

Just keep working through this until you're there.

Get where you can snatch with the 32K, at a minimum the 28K. Swings with the 40K, minimum of 36K. Work 5 reps OTM 1-2 times per week for snatch and 2-3 times per week for swings.

Work the following amount of time;

Swings: 18-30-18-24-42-24-37-30-37-42-20

Snatch: 12-30-18-12-18-12-20-30

So your first week would look something like this;

Mon Swing 18 min, Wed Snatch 12 min, Fri Swings 30 min.

Week two;

Mon Swings 18, Tues Snatch 30, Thur Swing 24, Fri Swing 42

Just keep working through this until you're there.

I'm stealing this.

I broke up my reps into 5L rest, 5R sets.

One point to consider: it's 100 total snatches. When you test, take advantage of your stronger side.

Let's say your right side is stronger.

Hypothetical Numbers:

7 right, 7 left
7 right, 7 left
7 right, 5 left
7 right, 5 left
5 right, 4 left
..and so on....

Again, those are hypothetical numbers: the point is 100 total snatches, it doesn't matter if it's 50 on each side, 80/20 or 100/0..100 total snatches.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom