all posts post new thread

Bodyweight How many pushups until starting OAPU progressions?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

guardian7

Level 6 Valued Member
How many strict to the floor with a slight pause no momentum pushups do you think someone should be able to do until starting OAPU progressions such as wall OAPU as in the Naked Warrior?

Or just keep doing GTG regular pushups with your OAPU practice.

Also,

When doing elevated OAPU, how do you find the right hand placement. It is obviously more centered than the regular pushup?

There's no magic number and the two movements, while both bodyweight pushing movements, are quite different in terms of stability and strength demands. I used to be able to perform 80+ push-ups but not a single OAPU and now I struggle to hit 50 regular push-ups but can hit 5+ OAPUs per side without any problems.

When it comes to setting up for your OAPUs, get yourself into position as if you were about to perform close-grip ('diamond') push-ups with your thumbs touching and your feet a little further apart than usual. Once you're balanced, brace your midsection and lift one hand and shift your balance to put your weight through your remaining hand.

You can begin OAPU work at an elevation even without having regular pushups on the ground. I have Many students do wall OAPU’s to help them get to their first solid ground reps.
The hand placement is not more centered, if going more centered it caused more “dumping” shrugging and lat disconnect. Place thumb under chest (pec) and then slide elbow past ribs. This is a great place to start for many.

Highly recommend attending either the One Day SFB course or the SFB certification.

You can begin OAPU work at an elevation even without having regular pushups on the ground. I have Many students do wall OAPU’s to help them get to their first solid ground reps.
The hand placement is not more centered, if going more centered it caused more “dumping” shrugging and lat disconnect. Place thumb under chest (pec) and then slide elbow past ribs. This is a great place to start for many.

Highly recommend attending either the One Day SFB course or the SFB certification.

Thank you. I am preparing for the course.

Does having the legs further apart make this position possible? It would seem people would want to naturally move the arm to the center to make more of a tripod structure. I am glad I got this correction from you. In books, pictures and video are of course taken from the side, so it is a little hard to tell.

@Karen Smith I'm currently working on my RM in Push-ups, and so far I improved from 40 to 70. I do Push-ups for 3-4 days in a row and then I back off for one.
What do you think about implementing a OAPU practice into my schedule?

@Karen Smith I'm currently working on my RM in Push-ups, and so far I improved from 40 to 70. I do Push-ups for 3-4 days in a row and then I back off for one.
What do you think about implementing a OAPU practice into my schedule?

It is interesting but high volume pushups don't automatically transfer to one arm pullups according to Pavel in The Naked Warrior, and Karen Smith. The key is the full body tension which has the great benefit of transfering to other lifts. I taught some high school kids in my gym the concept when they were messing around with arm wrestling. They were amazed at the difference.

Have you tried the hollow hold, rocking hollow body hold, and hardstyle plank, and one arm pushup plank? Those help to learn more than more pushups in my opinion. I learned them in a hardstyle class a while back. Very useful not just as an exercise but to understand the principle.

A simple answer according to Karen is yes. You can start OAPU from the wall anytime. She even sees it as a way to do pushups for people who can't one.

Stand up with only one leg from a chair is another good one from The Naked Warrior. You can rock forward to get a bit of momentum to start.

Thank you for the reply, @guardian7. I do planks, onr-arm forearm plank, and hollow body, all in the hard style way. My current regime is more endurance, while OAPU is pure strength. Implementing the latter would be like trying to catch two birds at the same time.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom