all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed How many rabbits?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

paules

Level 6 Valued Member
How many rabbits can one chase at the same time?

Let’s say I wanted to increase my press, snatch and pull up while maintaining my deadlift all at the same time.

Is that too many rabbits? Or would you recommend focusing on one or two lifts for a period of time e.g. A+A for the snatch, ROP for the press etc.?

At the moment my training is two days of Iron Cardio (CL, PR, FSQ, PU), two days of snatch practice and two days of Zone 2. Really enjoying the format and while I am making progress, it’s slow.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ege

Let’s say I wanted to increase my press, snatch and pull up while maintaining my deadlift all at the same time?

Is that too many rabbits? Or would you recommend focusing on one or two lifts for a period of time e.g. A+A for the snatch, ROP for the press etc.?

At the moment my training is two days of Iron Cardio (CL, PR, FSQ, PU), two days of snatch practice and two days of Zone 2. Really enjoying the format but progress is slow.

Thanks!
RoP with deadlifts on variety days.

Let’s say I wanted to increase my press, snatch and pull up while maintaining my deadlift all at the same time.

I've been able to progress several barbell compounds, either ballistics or grinds, while keeping the other in maintenance mode.

But I've never been able to increase my pull up while also significantly increasing my barbell compounds.

However, I can increase my pull ups when doing bodyweight, KB, or bodybuilding work.

This may be related to training age and how heavy you're barbell lifting, and how much recovery demand that places to progress.

I've been doing barbell work for a few decades, so pushing the numbers up and making new PRs takes a lot of work.

If you've still got newbie gains left, this might not be an issue.

I've been able to progress several barbell compounds, either ballistics or grinds, while keeping the other in maintenance mode.

But I've never been able to increase my pull up while also significantly increasing my barbell compounds.

However, I can increase my pull ups when doing bodyweight, KB, or bodybuilding work.

This may be related to training age and how heavy you're barbell lifting, and how much recovery demand that places to progress.

I've been doing barbell work for a few decades, so pushing the numbers up and making new PRs takes a lot of work.

If you've still got newbie gains left, this might not be an issue.
Hi;

How do you define increasing pull up for yourself? Is it increasing number of pull ups? Or is it increasing the weight, if you use weighted pull ups?

And for an advanced lifter, how this phenomena of chasing too many rabbits manifest it self? Is it you feel tired and can’t literally have energy to do “enough” pull ups? Or is it a kind of being above some sort of adaptation capacity, in which you train pull ups and you have seemingly energy to do that, but results don’t come up?

Hi;

How do you define increasing pull up for yourself? Is it increasing number of pull ups? Or is it increasing the weight, if you use weighted pull ups?

And for an advanced lifter, how this phenomena of chasing too many rabbits manifest it self? Is it you feel tired and can’t literally have energy to do “enough” pull ups? Or is it a kind of being above some sort of adaptation capacity, in which you train pull ups and you have seemingly energy to do that, but results don’t come up?

Either more pull ups or adding weight -- both require getting stronger.

Too many rabbits can manifest as adaptation capacity -- that most of your recovery ability gets eaten up by (using myself as an example), trying to take your BSQ 5 RM from 145 kg to 155 kg 5 RM while simultaneously trying to take your clean from 120 kg to 130 kg, that there just isn't enough metabolic energy left to drive a third hard adaptation, so progress stalls and plateaus.

Last edited:
Apply the principles. When beginning, the adaptation curve is steep. It's easy money. Everything improves and you don't even have to get it exactly right to make gains. After that, you'll stall unless you start paying better attention to programming, nutrition and recovery. Eventually things really flatten out and after that, you have to get everything right to make any progress and even then it will take major investment for minimal additional returns. And by the end you'll inevitably go backwards...

So, early on & lower level? Chase all the rabbits. Been working decades and pushing serious records? Better periodize and specialize.

At the moment my training is two days of Iron Cardio (CL, PR, FSQ, PU), two days of snatch practice and two days of Zone 2. Really enjoying the format and while I am making progress, it’s slow.

Thanks!
I would not consider that too many rabbits to chase at the same time.

L
Either more pull ups or adding weight -- both require getting stronger.

Too many rabbits can manifest as adaptation capacity -- that most of your recovery ability gets eaten up by (using myself as an example), trying to take your BSQ 5 RM from 145 kg to 155 kg 5 RM while simultaneously trying to take your clean from 120 kg to 130 kg, that there just isn't enough metabolic energy left to drive a third hard adaptation, so progress stalls and plateaus.
thanks!

Not too many rabbits.

However, you need to focus on strength for some period of time -- I would say 3 or 4 months. So the press, pull-up, and deadlift are easy to program with strength. Drop all other volume work like A+A, Iron Cardio, etc. Embrace a few hard work sets and resist the urge to add any muscular endurance type work, or extra conditioning. (by all means continue any easy cardio you may already be adapted to, for general health and recovery).

As for the snatch... that is a wildcard in this scenario. What is it that you really want to be able to do, that you cannot currently do? Snatch a heavier kettlebell for a single rep, or a single set of 3, 5, 10? Or do a 5-min snatch test with a heavier kettlebell? Or...?

Thanks!
It’s a fair question. Not necessarily in answer to your specific situation, but in general, I would suggest that it depends on how far apart the rabbits are. Also do you want to chase them or catch them? Big difference. A person can chase a lot of rabbits at the same time… catching them… another thing altogether.

Thanks!

Two questions:

1) What is the goal for your press, pullup and snatch?

2) Where are you now in relation to those goals?

Not too many rabbits.

However, you need to focus on strength for some period of time -- I would say 3 or 4 months. So the press, pull-up, and deadlift are easy to program with strength. Drop all other volume work like A+A, Iron Cardio, etc. Embrace a few hard work sets and resist the urge to add any muscular endurance type work, or extra conditioning. (by all means continue any easy cardio you may already be adapted to, for general health and recovery).

As for the snatch... that is a wildcard in this scenario. What is it that you really want to be able to do, that you cannot currently do? Snatch a heavier kettlebell for a single rep, or a single set of 3, 5, 10? Or do a 5-min snatch test with a heavier kettlebell? Or...?
Thanks Anna! At the moment I would like to be able to improve my snatch technique with the 24 and over time be able to snatch the 28 and 32.

Two questions:

1) What is the goal for your press, pullup and snatch?

2) Where are you now in relation to those goals?
Thanks Brett!

Press: I would like to be able to press the 28 this year and at some point in the future, the 32. I have turned the 24 from my 1RM to 5RM over the past 12 months but don’t feel closer to pressing the 28.

Pull Up: I would like to be able to do 10 strong pull ups at any time. At the moment that’s more like 6-8 depending on the day.

Snatch: I would like to improve my technique with the 24 and then move onto the heavier bells. At the moment my technique is solid with the 20 and a work in progress with the 24.

Do you have a coach or SFG certified instructor to help with your technique goals?

Pullups—the figher pullup program would likely get you to your goal in a cycle or two.

Putting in some rep ladders with the Iron Cardio would likely get you to your MP goal. (and a technique check)

Back
Top Bottom