all posts post new thread

Kettlebell How many swings?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Dixon

Level 1 Valued Member
I read an article recently in which a protocol was outlined consisting of twenty five KB swings at the beginning of the session to drain the ATP as quick as possible. The article states these twenty five swings should take you about twenty seconds but there is no way I can do that number of swings in that time frame. I can do around thirteen or so.

My question is should I just push on to hit the number of reps or terminate the set at twenty seconds? I would have thought pushing on towards the forty second mark to complete the prescribed reps would put me too deep into the glycolytic state.

I would alter your swings to do what the article describes, if you're trying to get an effect described in the article. Do you know how to do overspeed/shadow swings? They are a lot faster cadence than regular floater swings.

I would alter your swings to do what the article describes, if you're trying to get an effect described in the article. Do you know how to do overspeed/shadow swings? They are a lot faster cadence than regular floater swings.
Thank you Anna.

I am unfamiliar with those methods to speed up my cadence but will look into them.

The article in question is this one: Myofibrillar Growth & Conditioning – The Program | T Nation

I am determined to give it a go in the not too distant future but was concerned about the duration of the swings given the advice I have received since discovering this site by the vast majority seem to favour shorter bursts of swings.

The article states these twenty five swings should take you about twenty seconds but there is no way I can do that number of swings in that time frame.
I just breezed through the article, and that might be a misprint. I'd stick to @Anna C recommedations and try to overspeed the swings to get the most out of it. My regular swings put me about 17seconds/10 swings. With overspeed swings, I can shave it down around 15 seconds/10 swings. If someone can do 25 swings in 20 seconds, please post it, because I'd like to see it.

Like I said, I didn't read it too closely, but for hypertrophy, I think you want some glycosis/lactic acid. Craig mentions in the article that he pushes sets over 20 seconds for that purpose.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom