all posts post new thread

Kettlebell How many times a week?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Thank you all for your replies.

North Coast Miller the link you sent was the article I read and that promoted the protocol I wanted to follow in the future. This protocol was I felt at odds with this whole anti-glycolytic training. It seems to me that quite a few people on here wont go anywhere near a set of glycolytic training with any degree of frequency but that article suggested I did so twelve times a week.

North Coast Miller the link you sent was the article I read and that promoted the protocol I wanted to follow in the future. This protocol was I felt at odds with this whole anti-glycolytic training. It seems to me that quite a few people on here wont go anywhere near a set of glycolytic training with any degree of frequency but that article suggested I did so twelve times a week.
I believe the author recognizes the utility of hitting some glucose depletion for hypertrophy. Reading it, the longer duration efforts sound pretty draining.

Personally if hypertrophy is the goal I would recommend either using a different implement or rethinking how you use your KBs. Leaning on only two exercises to put on size is asking a lot. Every program I've ever concocted to get bigger starts with some form of squat, loaded through the spine.

You need to overload and eat, and an important part of that is downtime. The 'pump' aside, you only get bigger when you are NOT training.

Every program I've ever concocted to get bigger starts with some form of squat, loaded through the spine.

+1

I find a systemic-level whole body overload to be critical to hypertrophy.

Squats, deadlifts, cleans, and farmer's carries all can do it. I have at least one of them in each strength training session.

I've had my arms grow without even doing direct arm work.

If you read closely:

"Short-term use of the glycolytic system leads to healthy adaptations. Our response to the stress might be one reason that high-intensity programs are quite successful initially. After a while, we start to lose the adaptive effect and the stressor effects build-up."

"I would not recommend this program for the long-term, as the general HIRT protocol is probably best (and it will maintain the gains from this program). Too much of a good thing may limit its benefits. However, this hypertrophy program can be used twice a year to build a beach body or whatever body composition goal you are after."

This is a 6 week conditioning program.

It is not mean to be used in perpetuity.

S&S (at least the timed version) follows the general HIRT protocol, more or less.

Last edited:
Once per week, as a finisher, I grab my 48 and 40 kg bells and do farmers walks. Usually 4 sets of ~45 sec walk, I'm guessing.

On Friday's I train my squat and deadlift. Afterwards (I'm already fairly fatigued), I'll do pause squats. For example, 4 sets 10 reps with a 3 sec pause. I might only have 250 or 300 on the bar, but they are tough. Each set might approach 1 min.

I think these classify as glycolytic, huh?

Currently twice a week as I am following ab 80/20 biathlon program which has 1 intensity run and 1 intensity cycle a week.

However it will vary depending on my goals at the time. Normally my strength sessions will have some glycolitic training as I follow a wenning approach to training tactical populations. However C19 has meant that gyms are currently shut.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom