all posts post new thread

Barbell How many times your bodyweight is your bread and butter deadlift training?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kozushi

Level 7 Valued Member
So, I know that many here can deadilft twice or more their bodyweight, but how many times bodyweight do you deadlift on a regular basis? For instance, I can and have done 10 TGUs with the 48kg bell, but I train regularly either with the 32 or the 40. I'm trying to find a good 5-10 rep goal deadlifting weight to achieve and maintain, which will let me know I could go higher if needs be, but I don't want to necessarily buy and store a whole bunch of extra plates that I'm not going to use very often. I'm currently lifting 330lbs, which does feel heavy. I weigh 220lbs. the 330lbs is 1.5 my bodyweight.

For me it's 5x5 at approximately 1.5xBW, once a week.
One week slow touch-and-go (never set it down), the next week I do 5 explosive singles. Both ways I set the timer so I go every 5 minutes, so done in about 21 minutes.

I’m doing Daily Dose Deadlift for the third time, which is ~87% of lifts at 75% of baseline 1RM. For me, 1RM happens to be 1.5x, so my daily weight is just over 1x bodyweight.

As I get older I don't feel the need to pull a ton all the time, or even weekly. I train my body with plenty of hip hinge, ballistic movements that work my grip, hips, lower back and hamstrings. If I feel like deadlifting I can easily work 3 x 5 with 405 about once a month. I weigh 235lbs. So while not yanking away at 2x bodyweight on a consistent basis, the other work I put in keeps my strength up.

A ton of people here compete, and that's fine, so pulling a lot of weight in relation to their bodyweight makes sense. I don't compete, and being in the military I can't afford a needless injury. Don't go crazy over numbers unless that's your thing. Just my opinion. Everything is based on goals. If you want to pull a ton, start working at pulling a ton. If not, do what works for you.

As @ShawnM said, if you do not compete going over 85% might not be a great idea as the risk of injury goes up. However, I do compete and the TSC is one of the things I focus on during the year. That being said I currently have a 525 deadlift at 165 bw. I will deadlift twice a week with the one session being a max effort session and the other being a speed session. Similar to the conjugate method. When I am doing a max effort with the conventional deadlift Ill do about 3 singles at 90% plus. If I'm having a good day possibly a PR. On the speed days Ill do roughly 50% 1RM but with variable resistance such as chains or bands.

Slow but consistent, persistent, resilient progress and you will get there and also stay safe. Ive been hurt before and there is nothing more deflating to progress like an injury. Best of luck!
The 330lbs is already becoming pretty easy. I'll still stick with it for a while to really master it before moving up though.

The 330lbs is already becoming pretty easy. I'll still stick with it for a while to really master it before moving up though.

This approach doesn't apply as much with barbells as it does with kettlebells. I'd recommend following a deadlift program, any deadlift program. They will all have guidance on warm-up sets, working reps/sets (intensity and volume) with appropriate progression as the days/weeks go by, and frequency (how many times per week to lift).

This approach doesn't apply as much with barbells as it does with kettlebells. I'd recommend following a deadlift program, any deadlift program. They will all have guidance on warm-up sets, working reps/sets (intensity and volume) with appropriate progression as the days/weeks go by, and frequency (how many times per week to lift).
@Anna C, I will respectfully disagree. There are programs, e.g., versions of Easy Strength, and the Daily Dose Deadlift, where one basically stays at the same weight for a while, going heavier either once in a while or when the mood strikes. Given @Kozushi's background, schedule, and needs, I think what he's doing is fine for him. It may not be the ideal approach to increasing his DL 1RM (then again, it may be) but that isn't his priority. Seems to me he's developing a sense of what does and doesn't work for him.

@Kozushi, your approach will continue to yield gains for you for a while. Be mindful of your deadlifts becoming too taxing for the rest of your life and athletic activities as the weight gradually increases, and when you feel that happening, stop for a week or so and during that time revisit the idea of programming your deadlift.

-S-

There are programs, e.g., versions of Easy Strength, and the Daily Dose Deadlift, where one basically stays at the same weight for a while, going heavier either once in a while or when the mood strikes.

Well, true... I haven't done those programs, so I guess I shouldn't discount that sort of approach.

I have read PTTP a few times and am using SF principles (full tension, flexibility of rest periods - benefits to both more or less rest between sets, etc), especially for this the GTG approach too, for guidance.

Last edited:
@Anna C, I will respectfully disagree. There are programs, e.g., versions of Easy Strength, and the Daily Dose Deadlift, where one basically stays at the same weight for a while, going heavier either once in a while or when the mood strikes. Given @Kozushi's background, schedule, and needs, I think what he's doing is fine for him. It may not be the ideal approach to increasing his DL 1RM (then again, it may be) but that isn't his priority. Seems to me he's developing a sense of what does and doesn't work for him.

@Kozushi, your approach will continue to yield gains for you for a while. Be mindful of your deadlifts becoming too taxing for the rest of your life and athletic activities as the weight gradually increases, and when you feel that happening, stop for a week or so and during that time revisit the idea of programming your deadlift.

-S-
Thank you again for guiding me. Going heavier is certainly desirable, but really what I'm after is getting to and maintaining my strength at a level significantly above what it would be without training. One guy at judo yesterday says he does deadlifts at 545lbs. He is tall but skinny. I was shocked. That seems very heavy for me, although as I pointed out, simply lifting up and putting down the 330lbs in one movement is not very hard for me to do several reps of. I like it very much!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom