all posts post new thread

Barbell How many times your bodyweight is your bread and butter deadlift training?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Each to their own. I personally have no interest in ever being able to do a planche. There is a clear skill element that looks immensely time consuming to learn.

Where as learning a power clean or high snatch pull, although technical and has a clear skill element has a far greater carry over to more "things."

You were talking deadlifts before.

Now you've moved on to power-based movements, which are a whole different training animal.

As a competing weightlifter, now you're in my wheelhouse. ;)

I do cleans, pulls, snatches, etc, multiple times a week.

My typical clean practice is about 1.1x of my bodyweight.

Everyday life benefits? Well, I'm a pretty decent sprinter for someone who doesn't train sprints at all. My vertical leap is pretty good for someone who doesn't play a jumping sport. It makes the power component of kettlebell swings easy, but not the conditioning.

That's about all I notice in terms of it helping "things".

TBH, I think Pavel is correct that kettlebell swings are enough power training for most people, even generally athletic ones.

Being able to 1H KB swing 32kg for 10 x 10 in 5 minutes is probably far better for my general health, athleticism, and conditioning than being able to clean 3x3@110 kg.

(I do both, though)

But I digress -- this is getting way off the deadlift topic.

Last edited:
Being able to 1H KB swing 32kg for 10 x 10 in 5 minutes is probably far better for my general health, athleticism, and conditioning than being able to clean 3x3@110 kg.
Well I do (irrational) jumps between (long distance) running and powerlifting. Yesterday I was in a weightlifting seminar, because I enjoyed weightlifting as warm up when I did it. It was kind of crossfit style and I had zero endurance in that kind of work.

Well I do (irrational) jumps between (long distance) running and powerlifting. Yesterday I was in a weightlifting seminar, because I enjoyed weightlifting as warm up when I did it. It was kind of crossfit style and I had zero endurance in that kind of work.

The big variable is in the rest interval vs % of RM.

I intentionally don't use my competition lifts for conditioning because I'd have to drop the weight too much to get enough reps in, plus form breakdown with fatigue.

KB swings don't pollute my SN or C&J technique.

Sorry, my cents in OP is that I'm currently deadlifting with less than 2xBW weights. With sumo DL far less, close to 1x set weights. I'd be happy with 2,2xBW 1RM.

I have a friend who can DL 3xBW anyday, with >3,5x 1RM. So it's not a good measure.

You were talking deadlifts before.

Now you've moved on to power-based movements, which are a whole different training animal.

As a competing weightlifter, now you're in my wheelhouse. ;)

I do cleans, pulls, snatches, etc, multiple times a week.

My typical clean practice is about 1.1x of my bodyweight.

Everyday life benefits? Well, I'm a pretty decent sprinter for someone who doesn't train sprints at all. My vertical leap is pretty good for someone who doesn't play a jumping sport. It makes the power component of kettlebell swings easy, but not the conditioning.

That's about all I notice in terms of it helping "things".

TBH, I think Pavel is correct that kettlebell swings are enough power training for most people, even generally athletic ones.

(I do both, though)

But I digress -- this is getting way off the deadlift topic.

Well it was you who deviated from the original deadlift topic when you mentioned the planche.

But the power cleans and high snatch pulls are easier to teach/learn than the full clean/snatch but has massive benefit to non weight lifters. As well as building great traps (which let's face it is sick), me personally I rank the high snatch pull as the best trap builder. Better than heavy deadlifts, better than heavy rack/block pulls, better than heavy farmers walks etc.

Weightlifting variations are great for sprinting. I also noticed great benefit super setting deadlifts/squats with box jumps. Great gains for my sprints. GHRs are also great for sprints too. Even when you aren't training to specifically make your sprint better.

Other benefits? Makes me better at yomping up a hill with a heavy bergen. Makes my grip better for BJJ. Makes me more explosive for boxing and muay thai. Makes suplexes, single/double leg take downs better, makes me better at grabbing and carrying a heavy end table. List goes on

I think a lot of the benefits don't occur to us because we don't think about it or we aren't in a position where it would become apparent to us.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom