all posts post new thread

Barbell How many times your bodyweight is your bread and butter deadlift training?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Yesterday I did 2×7 120kg (265lbs) sumo deadlifts at 65.5kg (145lbs) body weight. I do singles at the same weight when I pull conventional and my best conventional deadlift is 140kg (308lbs) so I typically work at 85% of my max or 1.8 × body weight. I've never maxed out my sumo deadlift.

So, I know that many here can deadilft twice or more their bodyweight, but how many times bodyweight do you deadlift on a regular basis? For instance, I can and have done 10 TGUs with the 48kg bell, but I train regularly either with the 32 or the 40. I'm trying to find a good 5-10 rep goal deadlifting weight to achieve and maintain, which will let me know I could go higher if needs be, but I don't want to necessarily buy and store a whole bunch of extra plates that I'm not going to use very often. I'm currently lifting 330lbs, which does feel heavy. I weigh 220lbs. the 330lbs is 1.5 my bodyweight.

For me, I don't really train my conventional deadlift in a serious way (too much technique pollution with the clean pull) because it doesn't make me better at my sport.

The correlation between deadlifts and the Olympic lifts (clean & jerk, snatch) is not as high as it is with squat strength.

My clean pull and high bar back squat are 1.25x my bodyweight, and my clean is about .95-1.05x of bodyweight.

My overly-fast, overly-vertical conventional deadlift is 1.57x my bodyweight.

Could I get better at deadlift by training it more? Sure.

Will it make me better at my sport?

Not likely -- and there are loads of anecdotes and research into why that it is, but if getting really good at deadlifts made people into better Olympic lifters, they would all train it more and harder.

They don't for a reason -- there is an opportunity cost to training.

So I'm just fine with my 1.5x bodyweight deadlift and putting 1.0x of my bodyweight over my head.

It suits my sport needs.

As to the original question:

I clean pull my bodyweight (1.0x bodyweight, or 80% 1 RM) weekly and snatch pull less than my bodyweight (.8x bodyweight) weekly.

Last edited:
Novice lifter here. Have done 3 cycles of PTTP and currently 5 weeks in on Faleev's 80/20. 31 years old. Starting bodyweight was 156 lbs. After 3.5 weeks of Faleev's (and overdoing on the eating) I hit 170 lbs and have been trying to hold it at 170.

When I did PTTP I maxed at 230 lbs on my 3rd cycle. Backed off a lot for Faleev's, and my workset this week was 225. After doing 5x5,.I wanted to have some fun and try out 250 lbs PR. Given I did that after my workset and relatively easily I'm assuming my 1 RM is higher.

This small potatoes for most folks here..but major achievement for me for being able to make this progress in this time as a first time lifter.

Everyone's lifts are small potatoes to someone (unless you can deadlift 1,000lbs). There's a 16-year-old kid in my gym who can power clean my best deadlift. He's not even that big.

You're making excellent progress: Keep it up!

Also:

If you're not competing, nobody normal cares what your numbers are, really.

I learned not to have conversations with my non-lifting friends and family about any of my lifting progress. Their eyes just glaze over and they look at me like...

"Is that good? Congrats?"

So I just keep track for my own intrinsic motivation.

You'll get more extrinsic validation by adding 1" to your biceps. ;)

Last edited:
I think what Steve said is correct, it's not so much a relationship to bodyweight but rather a percentage of your max.

For instance my max is about 2.9 x BW, my training weights range from 60 - 90% in cycles. Thing is my bodyweight can fluctuate too - doesn't change the weight I'm lifting but does impact the bodyweight multiplier.

Do you ask because deadlifts destroy you?

Some years ago I was doing a novice powerlifting routine. The intensity (weight) was in the high side, increasing each session, but the volume was extremely low. I performed deadlifts once a week, one working set per session to as many reps as possible with perfect technique. The weight kept increasing and the reps kept increasing.

The downside was that I needed ten minutes just to get up from the floor and the puddle of sweat. That day I could just go home, dinner and bed.

Try to keep the volume down, and go hard.

@Anna C, I will respectfully disagree. There are programs, e.g., versions of Easy Strength, and the Daily Dose Deadlift, where one basically stays at the same weight for a while, going heavier either once in a while or when the mood strikes. Given @Kozushi's background, schedule, and needs, I think what he's doing is fine for him. It may not be the ideal approach to increasing his DL 1RM (then again, it may be) but that isn't his priority. Seems to me he's developing a sense of what does and doesn't work for him.

I see this thread is a couple of years old... I had responded on pg 1 back in 2018 that I had never done those programs so couldn't discount that approach.

And now I have done the DDD. Just finished 11 weeks of it last night, up to the last intensity day, 90%. 290 lbs moved pretty well!

Now a few more days of pulling 235 lbs next week (the 75% intensity weight), then I test my max.

Bodyweight = 178 so 290 is 1.62x bodyweight. The "bread and butter" (daily weight pulled most days for the program) was 1.32x bodyweight.

Due to the pandemic I am not training deadlifts at the moment. But on my effort lower body sessions I'll have a deadlift rotation for every 2 squat rotations.

A good conventional deadlift number to shoot for is 5×5 with 200kg. This is make you VERY strong.

But once you achieve that level of strength maintenance is WAY easier. Heavy swings are great for maintenance.

A good conventional deadlift number to shoot for is 5×5 with 200kg. This is make you VERY strong.

It makes you somewhat strong at the deadlift, but not really notable in a powerlifter context.

This is also pretty strong:

Junior-Planche.jpg

SAID is a real thing.

If I had to pick between my current 1.5x bw deadlift (~150kg for reps) plus a full planche, or specializing in deadlift-only to hit 200 kg but no planche, I'd pick the former, for sure.

Last edited:
So, I know that many here can deadlift twice or more their bodyweight, but how many times bodyweight do you deadlift on a regular basis? For instance, I can and have done 10 TGUs with the 48kg bell, but I train regularly either with the 32 or the 40.

I'm trying to find a good 5-10 rep goal deadlifting weight to achieve and maintain, which will let me know I could go higher if needs be, but I don't want to necessarily buy and store a whole bunch of extra plates that I'm not going to use very often. I'm currently lifting 330lbs, which does feel heavy. I weigh 220lbs. the 330lbs is 1.5 my bodyweight.
@Kozushi, there are too many variables in play here for there to be any sort of answer that might apply to most people.

If you divided your training equally between 32 and 40 kg and have a maximum of 48 kg, you are "train[ing] regularly" with an average of 75% of your max, which is just about the right place to be to stay strong.

If you wish to do the same for your deadlift, at some point you should try to establish a 1RM for yourself and then base your calculations on that. Training in the range of 75-80% 1RM, with some heavier and some lighter, is a solid formula for improving strength. Stay around 75% and you should be able to maintain; bump it up a few percentage points and you'll get stronger. I'm trying to improve my DL and I train at around 80% on average.

I don't want to necessarily buy and store a whole bunch of extra plates that I'm not going to use very often.
Plates are readily available in the used marketplace, in normal times they're inexpensive, and they take up very little space - there's no reason, IMO, not to be able to test your max at home if you've already got enough iron to lift 330 lbs. I just looked on Facebook Marketplace and found 45 lb plates for $1/pound, so another pair of 45's would set you back $90. That's money well spent, IMO.

-S-

It makes you somewhat strong at the deadlift, but not really notable in a powerlifter context.

This is also pretty strong:

Junior-Planche.jpg

SAID is a real thing.

If I had to pick between my current 1.5x bw deadlift (~150kg for reps) plus a full planche, or specializing in deadlift-only to hit 200 kg but no planche, I'd pick the former, for sure.

Each to their own. I personally have no interest in ever being able to do a planche. There is a clear skill element that looks immensely time consuming to learn.

Where as learning a power clean or high snatch pull, although technical and has a clear skill element has a far greater carry over to more "things."

I weigh 66kg. If I could do 5×5 at 200kg I'm pretty sure I'd be winning medals! No harm in aiming high, of course.

I wouldn't be so sure. You would no doubt accrue a lot of muscle in your posterior chain and upper back in the process of acquiring that level of strength. So no doubt it will knock you up a weight class.

Also the current IPF world deadlift record is 297.5kg. So the all time world record for that weight class or the untested equivalent will be higher.

However if you could remain around 66kg then it would put you as a serious contender. Should you choose to peak for a meet.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom