all posts post new thread

Barbell How Much Do KB Swings Affect Recovery for Barbell Training?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Joe Fraser

Level 5 Valued Member
I'm doing the standard GSLP program which focuses on bench, OHP, squats, and deadlifts. I do a minimum amount of plug-ins (accessory lifts) per the program. Specifically, alternating each workout lying tricep extension and rows/CG Bench and assisted chin ups. All done 3 x 5-8.
greyskull-lp-base-program.jpg

I want to get done conditioning in, to go along with the strength training. How teaching are KB swings on the CNS and muscle groups (specifically back and legs). Would 5x10 or 10x10 on off days be a detriment to recovery and ability to progress with squats and deadlifts.

For reference, I am 38, male, and weight 178lbs at 5'5". In decent but not great shape.

You should be ok. One of the GSLP programs, I believe the Line Backer Program, called for 100 burpees to be done on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Just watch your nutrition and maybe the day before deadlifts just do 5 x 10.

A bit of extra movement and blood flow could even help your recovery. If you approach your swings with recovery in mind rather than thinking 'pedal to the metal' you'll be fine. The size of your kettlebell will be a factor as well. Err on the side of using a lighter bell. To paraphrase 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin, even swinging a 40lb bell can 'blow your a** up'.

I would go for it. Add swings in as a conditioning element in your training. It'll help your fitness keep pace so you can keep progressing in your lifts as you place greater demand.

As said above, think of them as movement and recovery rather than an all out workout

I want to get done conditioning in, to go along with the strength training. How teaching are KB swings on the CNS and muscle groups (specifically back and legs). Would 5x10 or 10x10 on off days be a detriment to recovery and ability to progress with squats and deadlifts.

Depends a lot on how you do it. Swings as done in the style/intent/intensity of S&S, IMO, would be a detriment to your Greyskull recovery. Easier swings in a conditioning style could be better, as the others describe above... but I think are still not the optimal choice. A better choice for conditioning (if you really have to do some now -- but do you? You could easily pick up your conditioning later...) to go along with a serious barbell program is going to be an Airdyne, prowler, etc. Something that gets the HR up and has a large energy demand, but really doesn't tax any one muscle group specifically. Targets the cardiovascular system better without competing as much for recovery demands.

Thanks for the responses.

I've added some low slow distance work that should not be too taxing on recovery. Plus it makes the dog happy as she gets to tag along.

I've added 1 arm swings in on my last 2 rest days. I did 10x10 with a 16kg bell using my heart rate monitor to attempt an A+A approach and to stay out of the taxing use of the Glycolytic System. It took me 10 min and 50 seconds this morning. Almost on the minute. Max HR hit 151 but I averaged 130. I'll see how this works.

I think everybody is saying the same thing, but I'll throw on my experience - I can't mix real A+A work (which should be heavy & high-power) with barbell work, drains my recovery too quickly. If you start adding it in, and getting the "beat up" feeling, respect it and back off.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom