all posts post new thread

Barbell How much is enough? (Age question)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
An interesting discussion.
Do you see yourself as a powerlifter? If so the weight lifted itself is the goal. Thus, one would always strive for more.
If you lift to improve other things in your life then the question becomes what would improve if you got even stronger?

If the latter is the case then ask yourself what in your life would get better if you lifted more.
I guess you will never need more strength at least in the lifts you have practiced so why not put more attention in learning a new skill, a new sport or just a new hobby. Not to say to abandon lifting altogether but you can use much less energy to maintain roughly 80 percent and once in a while bring it up again.

Hello,

To a certain extent I think the right dose is what permits you to maintain your physical abilities, or even improve them, because they make you better at what you do (work, meet, etc...) without injury or exhaustion. Basically, as long as the benefits / risks ratio is good.

Kind regards,

Pet'

It's been said that strength is like an empty glass - you can fill it with whatever you want.

It seems @Rocco that your glass has grown fairly large.

Consider what life challenges might await you in the next 5-10 years (building/maintaining muscle, flexibility, etc) and start training with those in mind.

I answered this question myself at the start of this month im 31, 3 kids under 4 and with another on the way,i have a different way of thinking then most men and women of my age due to being raised by fitness minded parents my father was a 30 plus year new jersey trooper also involed in the military for the same time and my mother has been a workout freak my hole life lol, so growing up training was just somthind you had to do it was a part of your job.

Now in HS my brothers and i played football and the weight room was just another aspect of the JOB , when i got out of high school, i started working construction and let my weightroom training behid for 3 years, i worked hard and partied even HARDER. I then was hired as a corrections officer , my hole line of thinking changed. If the inmates have all day to train (90%) do i have TO as part of my job TRAIN.

That led me to powerlifting i hooked up with a co worker that was big into powerlifting and i started training hard for the powerlifts for 10 years,, ive competed in gear, Raw , and couple Strongman comps thrown in and did very well but as of late again with 3 kids and a 4th on the way and time limited i had to find a balance, i loved moving heavy weights but hated barely being able to get out of bed in the morning the constant wear and tear and injurys were stacking up, so my brother told me about Dan John. i read everything i could articles and books and completey bought in with the idea.

Now i go on this rant(lol) because i think in your are doing somthing its better than nothing and like to train for the release and time to be alone lol so instead of powerlifting day in and day out i look at training as a bunch of mini challeneges what ever they may be and also i train for life bc id like to play a game of pick up football or play with the kids or move the fridge or washer lol so in closing i belive as long as yopu stay on top of your self and keep fight the fight your in good hands

Thank you so much for the advice and training philosophy. --- What I am leaning toward now is a combination of Daily Dose Deads, which I like because the weight is heavy but the burnout is low because of singles AND incorporating s&s some how. ---- I was going to do 3 to 5 Dead singles, followed by swings (L,R 5x10), lastly one set of presses 5 each side.

My philosophy is that the Dead will at least maintain (I'll only up the weight slowly) and the swings and presses will also maintain those skills at sinister level and build. -- Plus, the Deads make the beast swings easier in my opinion.

Thanks again Gentlemen.

Just did it DDD (450 for singles this time, 5 reps to maintain). Then one hand beast swings each side 5x10. Lastly, 5 presses each side with beast.

Total Time = 27 mins. --- Rested one min between each set of each exercise.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom