all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed How much time do you spend training?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

How many hours per week on average do you spend training?

• 1 or less

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • 1 to 2

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • 2 to 4

Votes: 29 21.8%
  • 4 to 6

Votes: 38 28.6%
  • 6 to 8

Votes: 24 18.0%
  • 8 to 10

Votes: 17 12.8%
  • 10 to 15

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • 15 to 20

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • 20 or more

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
You’ve obviously not done the 20 rep breathing squats. Your warmup is the first 10 reps.

Efficiency is great, yes. But there are limits.

I could very well train with just two big lifts a day with just two work sets of each a day. But do it in ten minutes?

A proper warm up to the two work sets with just the deadlift itself can easily take at least four sets with all the plate loading, say 155-265-355-445. After that load up to 485 or 535, do a set, rest, do another set, clear the bar. Now repeat if for the press. All that in ten minutes?
I do just do the two sets and move on. I don't use warm up sets.

Between my deadlifting 2 sets of 5 @ 275 lbs (75% 1rm) and pressing a 40kg kettle bell for 3x3 ; that usually comes in under 10 minutes.

Newbie gains are wonderful things!

Sadly, that easy ROI doesn't persist as you advance up the ladder.
I hope I didn’t give the impression that I thought this type of minimalism would work for serious athletes. That would clearly be laughable

I am aware that the majority of people here are very serious about their strength training. But I always imagined that there was a significant minority here (maybe 20 or 30 percent) who just love the fact that you can be far stronger than the average person without a huge time commitment. As far as I can tell people like me are the target market for many of Pavel’s books. Either there are way less of us here than I imagined or they are just not the ones who reply to surveys.

My deadlift hit 205 kg while doing nothing but PTTP. Totally unremarkable around here, but I was pretty happy with it. But then I am not a strength athlete. I am just a guy who enjoys being able to pick up heavy stuff without fear of injury.

Total respect to all of the genuinely strong people here for the time and effort that they have invested to become so. Your stories are a great inspiration. I just want to make it clear to people thinking about getting stronger that if they don‘t choose to follow your path, there are other options besides remaining weak.

Efficiency is great, yes. But there are limits.

I could very well train with just two big lifts a day with just two work sets of each a day. But do it in ten minutes?

A proper warm up to the two work sets with just the deadlift itself can easily take at least four sets with all the plate loading, say 155-265-355-445. After that load up to 485 or 535, do a set, rest, do another set, clear the bar. Now repeat if for the press. All that in ten minutes?
You are already past the point where I would think PTTP would be a good choice. I would definitely want to be doing some warming up before that kind of weight. However…..
I do just do the two sets and move on. I don't use warm up sets.

Between my deadlifting 2 sets of 5 @ 275 lbs (75% 1rm) and pressing a 40kg kettle bell for 3x3 ; that usually comes in under 10 minutes.
When I was deadlifting this kind of weight, 10 min and no warm up worked fine. I maxed out at 205 kg, and it seemed pretty clear that I would need to actually train like a power lifter if I wanted to do any better than that. I was definitely doing a bit of warming up towards the pointy end of each cycle. (and therefore taking longer than 10 minutes)

I am aware that the majority of people here are very serious about their strength training. But I always imagined that there was a significant minority here (maybe 20 or 30 percent) who just love the fact that you can be far stronger than the average person without a huge time commitment. As far as I can tell people like me are the target market for many of Pavel’s books. Either there are way less of us here than I imagined or they are just not the ones who reply to surveys.

My deadlift hit 205 kg while doing nothing but PTTP. Totally unremarkable around here, but I was pretty happy with it. But then I am not a strength athlete. I am just a guy who enjoys being able to pick up heavy stuff without fear of injury.

Total respect to all of the genuinely strong people here for the time and effort that they have invested to become so. Your stories are a great inspiration. I just want to make it clear to people thinking about getting stronger that if they don‘t choose to follow your path, there are other options besides remaining weak.

First of all -- congrats on the 205 kg DL! That already puts you in the top something-% of the population (I don't actually know, but I'm going to guess it's low single digits).

I think you're right about Pavel's target market.

The paradox is that once you start it's easy to get hooked -- which is my guess as to why the survey results are higher than you might expect. :)

Yeah....that "clear the bar" bit is why I have 2 barbells.

I'm too effing tired after heavy pulls, so I have a 2nd bar I use for overhead work. Then I can just easily pop from pulls to presses.

The Eleiko Power Lock stays on the floor, and the Rogue Pyrros bar stays in the rack.

I clear the bars as part of my cooldown. ;)

I don't mean to throw shade, but I'm struggling to understand what you are trying to say. Don't you run a yearly strength and conditioning clinic where people stand around and listen to learn how to increase strength, power, and technique?
Strength Clinic

Yes, I have an annual Strength Clinic every year in October.

It is a all day clinic with different speakers on various topics.

The only individual who are standing are the speakers.

As Pete appears to believe, the amount of time spend standing around it time spent working out/training; it's practice time.

How does standing around for a while listening physically (key work) improve Techniques, Maximum Strength, Power, Speed, etc.?

The Mental Aspects

As you stated, standing around and sitting at clinics for houre is about the mental aspect of "The Game"; learning how to apply training concepts and write training programs.

Strength Clinic

Yes, I have an annual Strength Clinic every year in October.

It is a all day clinic with different speakers on various topics.

The only individual who are standing are the speakers.

As Pete appears to believe, the amount of time spend standing around it time spent working out/training; it's practice time.

How does standing around for a while listening physically (key work) improve Techniques, Maximum Strength, Power, Speed, etc.?

The Mental Aspects

As you stated, standing around and sitting at clinics for houre is about the mental aspect of "The Game"; learning how to apply training concepts and write training programs.
Hi @Kenny Croxdale , I think you have become muddled to the topic of this thread. You have on more than one occasion made a list similar to the one above.
Participants in the poll were invited to include other sports participation;

Feel free to include all training: KB’s Barbell, Bodyweight, Mobility / Flexibility, Locomotive Endurance, and Sports Participation, etc.

My comment was not about S&C but my martial arts practice and was in response to the commentfrom @watchnerd .

It can get confusing when you participate in a barbell sport like I do, where one might think every aspect of training is 'weight room time' analogous to what you would get with field sports athletes doing time in the weight room, but in actuality it's not that conceptually different.

I was trying to support his notion that sports participation may include things that are not directly affecting ones strength and conditioning. Or in other words skill development and/or, perhaps to use your term, technique.

So, standing and listening increase your Strength, Power and improves your technique?

If we were to choose a pedantic path then my answer would be structured in this way; My strength in kickboxing is my speed of my kick. I can improve this by taking instruction, which requires standing and listening to feedback from my sifu and training partner.
If you were to be less pedantic, and refer to physical strength instead, then it is well documented that rest is necessary to recover and allow continued expression of strength.
The power of my kicks is unquestionably related to the technique. I continually seek mastery of my skills. I can improve the power of my kicks by taking instruction, which requires standing and listening to feedback from my sifu and training partner.
I also find observing, feeling, hearing, etc., improve my technique but chose to highlight that listening was a channel for gaining instruction.
After all, this is a lighthearted discussion on time spent involved in physical pursuits.
It's tiresome to have to need to be this specific in order to avoid this type of misunderstanding.

t's tiresome to have to need to be this specific in order to avoid this type of misunderstanding.
It tiresome to read vague short sited statement. :)

As the saying goes, "The Devil is in the details".

Based on your defiition, I spend close to 40 hours a week training.

I am aware that the majority of people here are very serious about their strength training. But I always imagined that there was a significant minority here (maybe 20 or 30 percent) who just love the fact that you can be far stronger than the average person without a huge time commitment.
Describes me almost perfectly - I am to spend as little time as possible becoming stronger than the average person for a few reasons

1. build a reserve (possibly to this day still my favourite article or piece of writing from Pavel - The Cost of Adaptation | StrongFirst )
2. be able to thrive in my chosen sport hobbies at the competitive amateur level, meaning not only to not be limited by physical capacity (I have enough of a deficit in skill ROFL ), but to have my physical capacity be a competitive advantage against an opponent

an absolute +1 here

I should also add I am absolutely in love with the process, the science and physiology, the motor learning, everything about programming - I just only love DOING it to a certain degree myself. I get my kicks on going beyond that out of my clients, some of whom have more lofty goals/needs such as playing university level athletics.

Describes me almost perfectly - I am to spend as little time as possible becoming stronger than the average person for a few reasons

1. build a reserve (possibly to this day still my favourite article or piece of writing from Pavel - The Cost of Adaptation | StrongFirst )
2. be able to thrive in my chosen sport hobbies at the competitive amateur level, meaning not only to not be limited by physical capacity (I have enough of a deficit in skill ROFL ), but to have my physical capacity be a competitive advantage against an opponent
I thought most of us were including our other physical hobbies as 'training' hours, but maybe not - I don't know. The lines between sport, hobby, and addiction are pretty blurry for some of us (well, me at least).

I am late to this conversation, but here are my two cents:

Aerobic gains are only one of many reasons for long runs. If you plan on doing anything were you take in calories, you better know how you are effected by them. Also, time on feet builds connective tissue , like cartilage, ligaments etc... People do not quit long distance stuff because they are out of breath.

Since Tactical training has been brought up on this thread, I think people interested in Tactical type stuff should check out what is going on over at Uphill Athlete. In the "Best Ranger" competition last year, teams using high aerobic style training dominated last year. As in 6 teams out of the top ten, including all of the top teams.

I spend 6 hours a week training........ on my rest weeks. (y)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom