all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed How much time do you spend training?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

How many hours per week on average do you spend training?

• 1 or less

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • 1 to 2

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • 2 to 4

Votes: 29 21.8%
  • 4 to 6

Votes: 38 28.6%
  • 6 to 8

Votes: 24 18.0%
  • 8 to 10

Votes: 17 12.8%
  • 10 to 15

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • 15 to 20

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • 20 or more

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Also, the numbers depend upon what one means by training ie strength training , LISS walking etc. They depend upon goals as well. Health may tend to be less that performance. Sports plus strength and conditioning will add to the duration (eg some competitive BJJ athletes seem to commit large amounts of time (ie Strength & BJJ), no criticism intended, just saying to give context example). Interesting to see the results though.

8-10 hours training lately - 3-4 hours sport + 3 hours lifting (~1hr / day x 3) + 3 hours locomotion (~1 hr / day x 3) + maybe an hour or so of stretching/mobility work (10-30 min most days of the week).

Just looking at specifically training, not looking at incidental stuff throughout the day.

Based on some interesting conversations on another thread I thought it might be entertaining to see how much time our community invests into training each week.
Hour Per Week

Measuring the number of hours an individual works out is nebulus.

It depends on the type of training an individual does.

Llimit Strength, Power and Speed Training

Approximately an hour of training in these areas amounts to around 15 minues of exercise per hour,

Execise sets with these types of Strength Training is optimized when an exercise set is performed in around 10-15 seconds, not more than 30 seconds.

Rest Periods between set is traditionally 3 minutes or longer.

In one of Pavel's video, he stated that up to 15 minute may be needed to recover between some exercise sets.

HIgh Intensity Interval Training

This is another exercise method in which exercise sprints are completled in 20 minutes or less.

being able to go longer with this type of training means you did not give it your all.

The Question

So, did your really workout out for an hour?

"You Can Train Hard or Long But Not Both."
Vince Gironda

There is an inverse relationship to Time and Intensity.

The See Saw Effect

That means when one goes up, the other goes down.

When Intensity goes up, Time goes down.

When Time goes up, Intensity goes down.

Training Intensity

Without taking into consideration the Intensity, the amount of Time of Training in a workout or week is meaning less.

Last edited:
2 Hours Of LISS

For what purpose?

2 hour of LISS amounts to using a sledge hammer rather than a fly swatter to kill a fly.

An hour or less will essentially elicit the same results.
While I'll never understand why, and I don't know; I will present a point of disagreement.

US Army Airborne School would beg to differ.

Running 2 hours a day is barely scratching the surface - at least for these people, at least for a few weeks.

Why? I have no idea.

But, that's why I'm just a "Dirty Leg".

Last edited:
Hour Per Week

Measuring the number of hours an individual works out is nebulus.

It depends on the type of training an individual does.

Llimit Strength, Power and Speed Training

Approximately an hour of training in these areas amounts to around 15 minues of exercise per hour,

Execise sets with these types of Strength Training is optimized when an exercise set is performed in around 10-15 seconds, not more than 30 seconds.

Rest Periods between set is traditionally 3 minutes or longer.

In one of Pavel's video, he stated that up to 15 minute may be needed to recover between some exercise sets.

HIgh Intensity Interval Training

This is another exercise method in which exercise sprints are completled in 20 minutes or less.

being able to go longer with this type of training means you did not give it your all.

The Question

So, did your really workout out for an hour?

"You Can Train Hard or Long But Not Both."
Vince Gironda

There is an inverse relationship to Time and Intensity.

The See Saw Effect

That means when one goes up, the other goes down.

When Intensity goes up, Time goes down.

When Time goes up, Intensity goes down.

Training Intensity

Without taking into consideration the Intensity, the amount of Time of Training in a workout or week is meaning less.
It’s too bad you missed the point here…
your loss

US Army Airborne school would beg to differ.

Running 2 hours a day is barely scratching the surface - at least for these people, at least for a few weeks
Running Two Hours A Day

1) I doubt that they run two hour a day.

2) Running two hours day is senseless.

The Law of Specificity Defininition

"The stresses that are applied to the body in training must be the same as those experienced in your chosen sport or adventure.?

With regard to that, explain to me in detail how running for two hours would apply to their specific needs?

Strength Training and Conditioning Coaches

In the US Militray, they now employ Strength Coaches in the development of Streangth and Conditioning Program during Basic Training and afterward, to ensure individual in the Military maintain some type of physical fitness.

The Albuquerque Strength and Conditioning Clinic

This a clinic that I put on each year. This will be the 11th year

During this time, I have had two speaker the are Strength and Conditioning Coaches for the Military.

Wbile they do program conditioning and endurance training into their program, it is nothing as absurd as running for two hours.

The Consequence of Running For Two Hours

1) The only thing running for two hours does is make you good at running two hours.

2) Running for two hours limits all other types of training: Strength and Power.

As the both individual and another renound Strength Coach noted, most individual in the Military are weak.

3) Running for two hours is conterproductive for Strength and Power Training. A large volume of Endurace Training decrease Strength and Power.

While I'll never understand why, and I don't know,,,Why? I have no idea.

You Don't Know

I am perplexed as to why you'd engage in a discussion that you have no knowlege about.

Last edited:
Enjoyment? Training for an endurance event? 3 days at an hour and long run on the weekend is a classic marathon trainig schedule.
This Makes Sense

If you enjoy it, great.

Secondly, to run a marthon, you need to appy The Law of Specificity...which you do.

Currently, three 45-minute sessions each week (Mon, Wed, Fri) including the warm-up.

If I have the energy, I'll perform a fourth session on the weekend that is shorter.

Typically, I perform 4-5 30-minute sessions/week.

For What Purpose?

Unless the objective is to get better at 2 hour walk, you are using a sledgehammer.

Two hour of LISS isn't goint to provide any greater benefit that an hour or less,
World class Alpinists, ultra-runners, Skimo athletes, cyclists and the like, routinely train Zone 1 and even Zone 2 for multiple hour sessions at a time. It may be a bit out of your wheelhouse but these folks are training for serious activities that at times stretch into multi-day affairs. None of these folks get by on training an hour or less. None of them.

Running Two Hours A Day

1) I doubt that they run two hour a day.

2) Running two hours day is senseless.
They literally run everywhere they go during training. from building to building - site to site.
1655477571568.png
so, apparently, they do break out the runs into segments in PRT sessions.
You Don't Know

I am perplexed as to why you'd engage in a discussion that you have no knowlege about.
stated differently - I don't share in whatever it is that innately motivates someone to purposely jump out of a perfectly functioning aircraft. Part and parcel to said jumping out of said planes in the army - is attending this school which is chock full of running- and notorious for wearing through many running shoes in a matter of days and weeks, and needing replacement running shoes rather quickly.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom