all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed How much time do you spend training?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

How many hours per week on average do you spend training?

• 1 or less

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • 1 to 2

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • 2 to 4

Votes: 29 21.8%
  • 4 to 6

Votes: 38 28.6%
  • 6 to 8

Votes: 24 18.0%
  • 8 to 10

Votes: 17 12.8%
  • 10 to 15

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • 15 to 20

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • 20 or more

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
A lot of the training I do every week is "practice".

Practicing technique drills, practicing positions, using loads that are sub-maximal and don't elicit much physical adaptation at this point.

It's a sport, after all, and skill is built and maintained with repetition.

I view this is a different training bucket than true S&C work.

It can get confusing when you participate in a barbell sport like I do, where one might think every aspect of training is 'weight room time' analogous to what you would get with field sports athletes doing time in the weight room, but in actuality it's not that conceptually different.

4-6 hours per week as a base.
In general I do 4x45min of LISS (Z1-2), 2-3x30min strength and 1-2 A&A sessions per week. I adjust based on the season and activity calendar but this acts as a decent base of training for skiing, climbing, riding, hiking and surfing. I do various mobility work throughout the week in the evening and morning.

I would say 2-4 hours a week moving pieces of metal around (both grinds and ballistics) and 1-8 hours a week moving myself around (running, cross-country skiing, tennis). I put in 6-8 in the survey, but that's a yearly average. Some weeks in the summer I can be on a tennis court 10 or 12 hours if the weather collaborate (not playing only though, I also hit balls from a machine, practice my serve and do drills). In the fall and spring, I can do as little as 3-4 hours some weeks.

I do something almost every day. I checked "6-8 hours/week".

Sometimes I do more, sometimes less.

If someone includes, for example, walking the dog or sports participation, then the numbers can be huge - I don't include them in my "training hours".

I do something almost every day. I checked "6-8 hours/week".

Sometimes I do more, sometimes less.

If someone includes, for example, walking the dog or sports participation, then the numbers can be huge - I don't include them in my "training hours".

I was torn whether to log weightlifting practice hours as "training", or should I only count the non-competition lifts as training.

For What Purpose?

Unless the objective is to get better at 2 hour walk, you are using a sledgehammer.

Two hour of LISS isn't goint to provide any greater benefit that an hour or less,
I plan on running a trail ultra either this October or next (hopefully 50k this October and 50 miles next October). Are you suggesting I have no need - in training - to go over 1 hr of LISS in any single training session?

A lot of the training I do every week is "practice".

Practicing technique drills, practicing positions, using loads that are sub-maximal and don't elicit much physical adaptation at this point.

It's a sport, after all, and skill is built and maintained with repetition.

I view this is a different training bucket than true S&C work.

It can get confusing when you participate in a barbell sport like I do, where one might think every aspect of training is 'weight room time' analogous to what you would get with field sports athletes doing time in the weight room, but in actuality it's not that conceptually different.
Sometimes in my martial arts class I stand and listen to feedback. Still practice time to me.

No it won’t
For What Purpose?

Unless the objective is to get better at 2 hour walk, you are using a sledgehammer.

Two hour of LISS isn't goint to provide any greater benefit that an your or less
They literally run everywhere they go during training. from building to building - site to site.
View attachment 18019
so, apparently, they do break out the runs into segments in PRT sessions.

stated differently - I don't share in whatever it is that innately motivates someone to purposely jump out of a perfectly functioning aircraft. Part and parcel to said jumping out of said planes in the army - is attending this school which is chock full of running- and notorious for wearing through many running shoes in a matter of days and weeks, and needing replacement running shoes rather quickly.
Misinformation

",,,apparently, they do break out the runs into segments in PRT sessions."

So, the inforamtion you previously presented on them running for two hour was misinformation.

Running Everwhere

...to ensure when they hit the ground in landing from a jump to increase leg the impact for when the "hit the ground" from the jump.

That isn't the reason for them having to run everywhere.

There are more effective method of increasing strength in landing from a jump.

The Law of Specificity

As stated in post 30, "The stresses that are applied to the body in training must be the same as those experienced in your chosen sport or adventure."

Running isn't specific to landings.

Ballistic Impact Force Strength Training with Depth Landing/Altitude Drops is a more speicific method for jump training.

Trainng information on this has been posted on this board; multiple time.

The Military Intelligence of Training

...is an Oxymoron. Much like the information pass down over time with from one Gym Rats to another, much of it is dogma that continues to be taoining information is incorret or outdated;

Strength and Conditioning Coaches

The reason the mMilitary now employs Strength Coaches for the Military is to provide a more scientific approach to training rathan irrational dogma.

Last edited:
World class Alpinists, ultra-runners, Skimo athletes, cyclists and the like, routinely train Zone 1 and even Zone 2 for multiple hour sessions at a time. It may be a bit out of your wheelhouse but these folks are training for serious activities that at times stretch into multi-day affairs. None of these folks get by on training an hour or less. None of them.
This was addressed in post 28.

I plan on running a trail ultra either this October or next (hopefully 50k this October and 50 miles next October). Are you suggesting I have no need - in training - to go over 1 hr of LISS in any single training session?
This was addressed in post 28.

2 Hours Of LISS

For what purpose?

2 hour of LISS amounts to using a sledge hammer rather than a fly swatter to kill a fly.

An hour or less will essentially elicit the same results.
Thanks for the feedback. I ran ultramarathons for many years and the weekly long run was a stable of my training back then. I haven’t run an ultra for a few years but have maintained the Sunday morning LISS routine purely for enjoyment and the mental health benefits I get from LISS especially when running or rucking out on the trails.

Less than an hour.
My home gym is on my back deck, so easily accessible any time I am at home. I keep whatever exercises I am doing set up ready to just walk up to when I feel like it. Currently doing bench, squat, swings, chin-ups and farmer’s walks.

Squatting and benching with the same weight - I just squat for more reps than I bench, to make it equally challenging. The weight is just sitting in place in the power rack ready to go.

I have two equally weighted bunches of kettlebells strapped together ready to pick up for farmers walks, and I can easily unclip my 24 or 32 for swings.

Even if you factor in the time for wandering up to the equipment and getting into place, it would be less than a minute per set.

I hate changing equipment around (eg changing weights) and I don’t like waiting around between sets, so this works for me.

I just keep the weight the same until it starts to feel easy and then increase it a bit.

I guess I am doing a GTG variant of easy strength.

I would recommend the approach to anyone who has easy access to equipment and is unwilling or unable to spend a lot of time training. Total ‘park bench’ program as Dan John would describe it.

Squatting and benching with the same weight - I just squat for more reps than I bench, to make it equally challenging. The weight is just sitting in place in the power rack ready to go.

That would drive me crazy, because I'd end up doing 20+ reps sets of squats, which I hate. ;)

And I never leave weight loaded on my bar in the rack for fear of bending it.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom