all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed How much time do you spend training?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

How many hours per week on average do you spend training?

• 1 or less

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • 1 to 2

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • 2 to 4

Votes: 29 21.8%
  • 4 to 6

Votes: 38 28.6%
  • 6 to 8

Votes: 24 18.0%
  • 8 to 10

Votes: 17 12.8%
  • 10 to 15

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • 15 to 20

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • 20 or more

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
That would drive me crazy, because I'd end up doing 20+ reps sets of squats, which I hate. ;)

And I never leave weight loaded on my bar in the rack for fear of bending it.
As someone who has never done a lot of squatting, a five rep bench weight makes a good 10 rep squat weight for me.

Why I am not scared of my bar bending:
a) I use chains and stretch bands so that reduces the actual weight on the bar.
b) I have a pretty solid power rack.
c) I am not as strong as you!

And I never leave weight loaded on my bar in the rack for fear of bending it.
Me neither. Partly because I fear a bend or warp or wear on the bushings/bearings, and partly because of just ingrained habit of putting weights away. I'm not a neat freak at all but it just bothers me when plates and the bar aren't put back where they should be (and it's not on the rack FOR ME).

As someone who has never done a lot of squatting, a five rep bench weight makes a good 10 rep squat weight for me.

Why I am not scared of my bar bending:
a) I use chains and stretch bands so that reduces the actual weight on the bar.
c) I am not as strong as you!
Me neither. Partly because I fear a bend or warp or wear on the bushings/bearings, and partly because of just ingrained habit of putting weights away. I'm not a neat freak at all but it just bothers me when plates and the bar aren't put back where they should be (and it's not on the rack FOR ME).

My habit to unload the bars and put the weights away was ingrained when my first weightlifting coach (Jim Schmitz) would chew us out if we broke those rules.

Also stepping over or kicking / moving a barbell with your foot would get you busted.

Or loaded the plates backwards / facing the wrong way.

Or loaded the plates in the wrong order.

Or loaded the plates with the wrong change plates inside vs outside the collar.

Or didn't keep our hands near the bar to stop it bouncing after we dumped it.

Or eating or....well, it was a lot coach chewed us out for. ;)

Last edited:
it just bothers me when plates and the bar aren't put back where they should be (and it's not on the rack FOR ME).
‘Where they should be’ for me, equals on the bar ready to go. Just my habit after doing almost all of my weight training at home.
I totally get that unloading the bar is just basic manners in a shared space, and I can see that that habit would become ingrained.

My habit to unload the bars and put the weights away was ingrained when my first weightlifting coach (Jim Schmitz) would chew us out if we broke those roles.

Also stepping over or kicking / moving a barbell with your foot would get you busted.

Or loaded the plates backwards / facing the wrong way.

Or loaded the plates in the wrong order.

Or loaded the plates with the wrong change plates inside vs outside the collar.

Or didn't keep our hands near the bar to top it bouncing after we dumped it.
That’s old school and how I was taught in the early 80’s. Now I have an bar that’s shot that I leave loaded with 2 45’s on the floor for easy clean and presses. Getting lazy I guess…

That’s old school and how I was taught in the early 80’s.

Jim was old school: Team USA weightlifting coach 1980, 1988, & 1992 Olympics. Started lifting in the 1960s.

This is the basement (literally the basement of a bodybuilding / fitness gym at street level called 'Physique Magnifique') where he taught us. It was like something out of 'Rocky' and the racks were made of pipes:

tumblr_neiyaudKyg1rsbrcho1_500.jpg

Tall lifters had to be careful lest they jerk into a pipe and break it.

Last edited:

The fear, at heavier weights, is that sitting in the J-hooks will cause the bar over time to start drooping down at the collars and bow in the middle.

Probably more of a theoretical concern with whippier weightlifting bars than stiffer power bars.

I did manage to warp a rackable EZ curl bar that way, though.

(but it's a trash EZ curl bar)

Last edited:
That’s old school and how I was taught in the early 80’s. Now I have an bar that’s shot that I leave loaded with 2 45’s on the floor for easy clean and presses. Getting lazy I guess…

Leaving it loaded on the floor with full sized plates is supposed to be safe because the bar isn't actually bearing any load.

Although still bad manners. ;)

Currently 3 sessions in the gym, warm-up of about 15-20 minutes followed by a 35 minute strength session of 1 main lift and 2 accessory lifts (5 rounds of 7 minutes each). It's like the Wendler Krypteia program.

Then 2 runs home from work of 4.5km of about 25 minutes each.

So slightly under 4 hours a week currently.

Have done much more at times, especially when have climbing or racing goals in mind. In Steve House's TFTNA book he has a good way of working it time spent training and then planning various training periods around it.

Last edited:
Hashtag goalz
I am actually surprised how few people here are in the sub 2 hour category. There is an awful lot of ‘low hanging fruit‘ to be picked with this limited time commitment. PPTP is 5 sessions per week of about ten minutes each. ‘The bear’ is two (admittedly brutal) 45 min sessions per week. I had great results with both. Q&D would also come in at under an hour most weeks.

I am actually surprised how few people here are in the sub 2 hour category. There is an awful lot of ‘low hanging fruit‘ to be picked with this limited time commitment. PPTP is 5 sessions per week of about ten minutes each. ‘The bear’ is two (admittedly brutal) 45 min sessions per week. I had great results with both. Q&D would also come in at under an hour most weeks.

Newbie gains are wonderful things!

Sadly, that easy ROI doesn't persist as you advance up the ladder.

Efficiency is great, yes. But there are limits.

I could very well train with just two big lifts a day with just two work sets of each a day. But do it in ten minutes?

A proper warm up to the two work sets with just the deadlift itself can easily take at least four sets with all the plate loading, say 155-265-355-445. After that load up to 485 or 535, do a set, rest, do another set, clear the bar. Now repeat if for the press. All that in ten minutes?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom